Big piece of Humble Pie Please

thager

• Baller
Why is it that we as skiers think that we hop on the old board and ski like winter never happened? Must work for some people just not me! I get to the lake and am happy as the family dog to see my long lost friends that disappeared the second the aqua turned solid. Five months of football, beer pizza, chicken, and all things the government says are Bad JUJU . I'm in shape from 12 oz curls, pulling up my shorts and tying my shoes when I can see my feet . Not sure what shape I'm really in, maybe pear shape? Put on my gear and joke with MS and PJ at the dock. Gave Driver Phil 34- C1 and 22off. Drop in the water and away we go. Not around the first island and already I'm tired. I roll out and shoot the gate. Wow, those buoys are moving fast! Scramble and make the run. Somehow, Definitely not a pretty run. Stayed at 22 @ 34. Skiing is not good. MS is laughing at me and poor Heather is flinching with every turn not wanting to taste the wrath of Mr. handle. My stork legs are so out of shape my ski is hatchet chopping around every buoy. Legs are shaking like leafs. Embarrassing! Up and down the lake twice and I;'m toast. Today I'm so sore I called to rent a Hoveround. I can't even walk up or down the stairs because of thigh cramps. Shuffling around like Tim Conway. Took me an hour just to make the bathroom. Needed help with my tighty -whiteys, Can't wait for tomorrow,. I love this sport! It can only get better!

I can't wait for that feeling!

There are 3 things I have found that limit my severe reaction to first set blues...

1. Ride my dirt bike 2 days a week all winter (works the back,shoulders and helps my grip and arm pump)

2. Snow ski at least 3 days a week, 4000 ft of skinning/climbing min

3. Ride Mountain or Road bike at least 100 miles a week.

Now in order to do this you must be single and hate watching football :) I also live in Southern Oregon where I can do these activities in a relatively moderate climate :)

I am hoping to get my first set in this week, shooting for 15/34 lol

• Baller

That made me laugh...the funiest things in life are what we can empathize with and relate to. My begining of the season story was this last Friday. I worked out pretty hard for my 3 months off and was dillusional of a fast start. Flew to Orlando last Thursday, sick as a dog, up all night with the chills, in urgent care Friday morning for some antibiotics, handful of ibuprofen, handful of alkaseltzer, 5 hour energy, LETS SKI!! Skied with heavy drugs all weekend and monday of this week....4 days in a row, 2 sets a day; sick and sore everyday to the point of thinking I wasn't going to ski each day. Moral of the story is that working out during the off season only afforded me the ability to endur 4 days of prolonged misery as my performance results fell way short of expectations. I still feel like someone beat me with a baseball bat and I have nothing to show for it except a deflated ego. I hate this sport. I would have rather been put out of my misery early after the first day. I can't wait to ski tomorrow. I am definitely sick in the head!!

They say deaths smiles at us all...oh yeah...well death has never started a ski season after months off.

• Baller_
@Thager you got to get right back in and bite the dog that bit ya. The first 3 days are always tough and being in your mid 50s may make that 4 days. Heather is fresh out of college and she was pretty sore also so dont feel bad.

• Baller

Finally got to free ski last night. For some reason PP didn't engage (little known to me). Bob figures he doesn't have the throttle far enough and gives it some more. I pull out, take some cuts and feel like I'm just flying. Uncomfortable, figure must be pulling long, happy for the light headwind.

Turn around and come back the other way and I'm thinking I suck, and now will be tailwind. PP engages this time and I feel much better. When done Bob asked if I thought it was a little fast that first pass cuz he was doing 37-38 initially...whew, I thought it was me and I was in for a long season.

Second set I whiff 2 deep starts!! I occasionally see a good skier miss one, but I honestly don't think I've missed since I was a teenager. I blame the driver (not really). Perhaps the exhaustion of doing docks/lifts into the lake over lunch hour and skiing two sets free skiing taking a bazillion cuts w/spins at the end of the lake. Second set was kind of a wash...no gas in my tank. Today I'm sore.

• Baller
I always try to ease back into things in the beginning... So I love to run 6 balls, but I know I'm gonna suck at the start of the season. What I do, is ride the trick ski (or wakeboard) for the first month... so really, April 1st starts my slalom routine... I might get antsy and want to jump on my slalom before April 1st though...

• Baller

"Took me an hour just to make the bathroom. Needed help with my tighty -whiteys, Can't wait for tomorrow"

I don't mean to be gross but I have vivid memories of my fore arms being completely toasted from going hard core on my first day back...just no grip strength. Then the next day once you get to the bathroom its hard to reach around and wipe.

• Baller

@Horton -Thanks! I'd have replied earlier but my fingers were still cramping. Also CAUTION Hoverounds do not work well on stairs!

@ AB- I will try but I am the anti-ball of hair. Nothing much to wash.

@ MS - I will bite the dog soon but am still doing the Faria gauge swap. PIA!

• Baller
Went tonight. Sore already. Finally back in town to grab the last warm day. My buds have skied twice already. Drytop and Neo shorts. Hope we missed the bag!!! Looks like it is going to cool down though.

• Baller_
In collage my brother-in-law put me on a winter work out program he designed. He is an exercise physiologist (was at the time anyway). He studied the michanics of slalom. I had a work out partner and followed his program. Spring arrived, ice was gone and skiing commenced. I agree with Ham. Nothing helps.

• Supporting Member

@jefflyman Wow, I thought MA was a cold place. We've been ice-out for weeks now. Heck, I think the water may have already crossed out of the "painful even with a drysuit on" range.

First ski tonight with any luck. Then I shall wallow in pain for a few days and love every minute of it!!! :)

Bogan At my home in Central NY our river is clear and getting warmer. The ice is at our lake in the Adirondack mountians, White Lake, the purest most beautiful lake in NY! Best part its where one of our courses floats! Yes.... pain I'm looking for to it.

• Baller

It's hard enough, why make it harder? (Rob Shirley, MasterCraft Boats, 1980).

I think that starting out heavy with a little winter weight is a good thing. It will give you a better work out and make you stronger in the long haul (sorer in the early season). As the winter sweater departs, you will be stronger for having pulled those extra pounds around the bouys. Then it will get easier. 2 bottles of Advil LiquiGels later, voila, summer skiing condition.

• Baller
@MS -- neck is pretty good. I put in my lift, dock and boat today after spending about an hour moving sand on the beach (ice shift). Skied a normal open water set of 4 passes of 12-14 cuts each. Felt great! @thager -- hmmm -- feeling a little sore after today. As much all of the equipment moving as the skiing. Advil and beer. Advil and beer (LandShark).

• Baller
@ Razorskier 1 - I know that feeling! I'm finally operational after installing new Faria Chesapeake black gauges to replace the electronic pieces of crap my 02 came with. Everything actually works! I ski tomorrow if I can find a driver.