Blister Care

Broussard

• Baller

As stated above, clip away dead skin and sand down to smooth.

Also, I use a combination of kevlar liners and palm pads to prevent. If i get them, I use the johnson & johnson blister care bandaids all the time i am not skiing and then duct tape over them when skiing. I can go through 1 bandaid per set; plus another that will stay on through the course of the day.

• Baller_
I apply vitamin E liquid (from capsules) directly to the open blister morning and night. I keep a small tube of Neosporin in my pocket and apply as often as I can think of it. You are healed up in a few days. When I have a blister, I open it to start the healing process ASAP. I too clip off all torn skin using nail clippers. It is important to remove all torn skin. I use a pumas stone, not sand paper, and keep the calluses shaved down to reduce the likelihood of tearing. If your hands are sore, switch handles (i.e. use a different shape and/or diameter) for a few sets. Finally, if you have a tear and want to keep skiing, you can use what I call Pussy Palms, (Overton's calls them Hand Guard Protectors). They really help when your hands are trashed. http://search.overtons.com/?Ns=p_image_sort|1||p_purchased|1&cname=Gloves&Ne=1000&N=2891

Lpskier

• Baller
I agree with @Richarddoane. Gloves should be near difficult to get on while dry and just a bit easier when wet. I was skiing with L ML Kevlar palms this past summer because that's what my hands fit nicely in per recommendation from Jodi I went down to a Small. The difference is unbelievable my hands are rarely sore and I never get blisters... (probably mostly because I row and my hands are solid callus which helps) yeah the wrist length of the gloves could be a bit longer but I will be ordering a few pairs to keep in rotation this summer.

• Baller

I've read several times that Pro's say "Good gloves should be difficult to put on wet, impossible when dry." Palm blisters are cause by poorly fitting or wrong gloves. Curved gloves usually help. Try to learn to keep the handle in your fingers rather than in you palm.

Use Corn Huskers lotion after skiing.

• Baller_
Clinchers, ML Pro Locks, and soon Radar's version. Been using them for years and years. So few hand issues I could count them on one hand but since two of my fingers are strapped together in the glove I can only count to four.

• Baller

A long time ago, I cut those P Palms out of inner tube scraps and that was thinner and very effective. I made them with 4 holes instead of the 2 that most of the neo-type pads. It covered the whole hand better.

I have moved my grip to my fingers and just use Kevlar liners. I also don't ski as much as I used to.

• Baller
I second the tight kevlar liners and very tight glove theory. I feel like I have been through a workout after putting my gloves on. Corn Huskers lotion is great as well. I have a buddy that uses a dremel tool to work his calluses, I use one of those cheese grater foot things.

Okay, this is straight from one of the best skiers on the pro tour who happens to be a good friend of mine. He uses a Gillette razor with water and you can take the calluses down to almost nothing. I did this recently before going to ski in Florida and came home blister free after 8 sets. Be careful not to take them down too far. This is much better than sanding as it causes less irritation and damage to the skin. Not to mention the ladies love it!

Also use a good glove with Kevlar liners!

If you get blisters, before they pop, applying bleach to the blister will cause the body to remove the fluid and it will heal flawlessly most of the time.....

I use a Bic Metal razor to remove thickening skin or calluses as stated by 303skier. I swear by it. The skin comes off fast and smooth.

I use liners, gloves, and I hold the handle in my fingertips most of the time. In addition, I use a 1.09 or largest handle I can get from Brenda at in tow.

Most of the season my hands look like I work in an office....

• Gold Member

I'll second the vitamin E thing. Learned that trick from a gymnast. Was great during my Men II days b/c tight gloves and kevlar liners weren't quite enough.

Once I went to 34 mph, I just stopped getting blisters. Not sure exacly why, but not complaining.