Andy Mapple withdraws from Big Dawg

Cypresskier

Andy,

I hope you reconsider. Almost every skier in the universe wants to watch you ski. As a skier who watched you run 4 @ 43 in Charleston @ 34 and finished second to you by 14 buoys, it was one of the best days of my life as a skier and I will remember that day for the rest of my life.

If nothing else, please ski tournaments at M4 to show the world what is possible at 34 mph.

Chris

• Baller

Great post and ideas Chad. I am one of those that have entered several BD's with the goal of breaking into the sweet 16. Almost making one of the finals a few years ago and tied for the 16 spot. I would love the opportunity to participate head to head with Andy the other pros.

JNate

• Administrators

Seems that if he does not compete in the actual BigDawg event he could ski the Class C that is the same weekend and the same site.

It would not be the Head to Head but we would see his scores vs their scores.

If nothing else it would still pack the banks with skiers and that is good for the sponsors.

• Baller

As a new guy to the Big Dawg series, I appreciate what Chad said in his post (and we have had that discussion face to face). I understand the idea. In the end, I believe the Big Dawg is what it is regardless of what it was started for. The idea is to have the best 34 mph skiers in the world compete head to head to see who can win round after round. Andy Mapple would be a great addition to the series (as would Jeff Rodgers). There are a lot of competitors who would give him a run for his money and there are a lot of participants who would be stoked to ski side by side in an event with a man (AM) who has dominated our sport like no other athlete has dominated any other sport I know. Great for the Big Dawg Series, great for the sport, and in my opinion great for the competitors who might challenge him as well as those who would have the opportunity to ski alongside him.

Perhaps there will soon be a 35 mph division and then an opportunity to compete on different levels, but for now, we have what we have. I know there probably weren't many skiers who found issue with it, and to be fair about it, those who don't like it are certainly entitled to their opinion and feelings toward the situation and I respect that.

I personally hope that if Andy is able to compete, he does so, but knowing what a nice guy Andy is and knowing that he is 100% devoted to our sport, I doubt he would do anything to challenge skiers who feel that it isn't right.

I guess there is no easy answer, but I sure hope that he skis the BD at some point. The whole idea is to compete and have fun. Anything more than that is BS. We ski because we love it, we ski tournaments because we have a competitive nature. That's it.

Hope it all gets sorted. Also, Chad, I hope you do an event as you described. Let us know.

Lastly, congrats to Dave Miller on his Big Dawg win in Peru and congrats to Todd Kuykendall for being on the podium after a rehabbing an injury from last fall.

@Ryno, be careful about making such generalizations, that may be true for some for certainly not the majority of the Big Dawg Skiers.

@jayski, Andy pulling out has nothing to do with his level of commitment and I would venture to say that you do not know him if you question his commitment level.

The Big Dawg series has become what it is because of competition. At last years Big Dawg finals, 17 different skiers ran 39 1/2 off in the prelims....meaning one guy that ran 39 did not make the Sweet 16. That is competition, and it's awesome.

In 2009 I had the privilege and honor to ski against Kris LaPoint, one of the legends in our sport and was lucky enough to win. That is and will be one of my greatest water skiing memories. I would welcome the opportunity to sit on the dock with another legend in our sport, Andy Mapple and then to have a chance to go head to head with him? What a rush that would be, win or lose it would be another memory that I would hold on to.

Andy hasn't, to my knowledge, competed in a pro event in 8 years. How long is long enough for someone to be out? The Big Dawg rules state that to be eligible a skier can't have placed in the top 10 in a pro slalom event in the last 3 years. Do those that don't want Andy to compete want that changed? I just can't understand the logic behind not wanting him to ski with us. Would he dominate the Big Dawg? Maybe, who knows, strange things can happen in a head to head format. I watched Andy compete at the Sr. Worlds in 2008 in Spain. He and Mike Morgan tied for the win and had to have a run off that I believe took two attempts before the tie was broken and Andy won. The next day in the EAME finals Andy didn't win, he finished 2nd.

This isn’t the first time people or a person has complained about Andy. He was entered to compete at the Masters Men event in Charleston in 2008 and withdrew. I can understand how people would think that with Andy and or Jeff there that might mean one/two less spots in the sweet 16 but as we’ve seen in the past ANYTHING can happen. Going back to 2009 again, I ended up 2nd at the Big Dawg Finals, was I the 2nd best skier there that weekend? Not even close. I never ran past 3 @ 39 and I would guess that 40 of the 50 skiers in the Finals could have done that. There is no doubt I got a gift from David Miller in the first head to head round but with the head to head anything can happen, it’s one of the beautiful things about the Big Dawg events.

I am personally embarrassed that any of my fellow Big Dawg skiers would complain to the point where Andy felt so unwelcomed that he decided to withdraw his entry. Apparently not everyone out there agrees with me, but this is how I feel. Having had the pleasure to meet and ski with Andy, I would more than welcome him to any Big Dawg event he wanted to come to. He is a great person and ambassador for our sport.

My 2 cents.

Marc

• Baller
Just ski Andy. It actually would be for the good of our sport. @Sethski says we ski because we love it, and we ski tournaments because we have a competitive nature. I mostly agree. We ski because we love it, and we ski tournaments because we like the people we meet there and the opportunity to show what we can do, and maybe even set a PB in the process. Your participation would raise the level of all participants, and from what I can tell, it is well within the rules of the BD series. Go ski. Have fun. Meet new people. Bring more people into the sport. If someday down the road "we", as a collective of skiers, want to start a new division or change rules, so be it. In the meantime, the BD is open to you and every other person who meets the criteria.

• Baller
If they don't want to ski against Andy they aren't real competitors. He is eligible to ski and that's really all that should matter. It's sad that some of the competitors are too self-centered to let an eligible skier compete. In my eyes, bullying good skiers out of the tournament isn't that much different than moving the buoys in when it's your turn to ski... Seems like there are still a few Jim Michaels out there thinking someone owes them a spot in the final rounds.

• Baller

I would love to see Andy ski. I can't compete at that level but I am a huge fan and certainly aspire to big dawg status, as unlikely as that is to occur. I once got my butt whooped in the National Figure 8 Barefoot Championships head to head double elimination by Peter Fleck (who won)...coolest loss ever! My old man pitched briefly for the Chicago White Sox and says NASA didn't put the first satellite in orbit...it was the ball he pitched to Ted Williams. That's good stuff.

Imagine one day saying "Yeah, I was skiing the big dawg and got paired with Andy Mapple. I skied pretty well running 1.5 @ 41 but he smoked me. He signed my hat and was happy to take few pics. At the end of the tourney we kicked back over a beer."

• Baller_

OB,

Over the last several years it has not been unusual for half a dozen cancellations prior to the tournament. Life happens and for one reason or another and people can't make it as planned.

Andy was #54 and I'll bet a case of beer that #55, Don Aschenbrenner gets in by tournament day. Matt Brown is right behind him. I'll bet a 12 pack on him making it as well.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
That's true @OB, probably best not to get carried away speculating about why Andy backed out of the tournament. That being said, I certainly hope he decides to enter in the future.

• Baller

@6balls That's an awesome story about yer dad! It reminds me that you can't have cinderella, "1980 US Olympic Hockey" stories without folks like Andy competing.

Considering the caliber of Big Dawgs that have responded on this thread and the sentiments they have displayed, I'm guessing that 95% or more of the Big Dawgs would welcome Andy's presence. I doubt the number of complainers reaches beyond two or three.

@mshaw200 Your performance in the 2009 Big Dawg Finals was like watching Gonzaga make their run to the elite 8 back in 1999. Easily one of my top ten sporting events of all time. Thanks!

JP

• Baller

Andy, I called this morning and left you a message. Looking forward to talking with you.

I sent below email to ANDY. Posts from Chet, Marc Shaw, etc.etc. Who knows, maybe the rules will change in the future, but for 2012, the rules are etched in stone. ( Chad Scott must have been reading my mind )

Andy,

Bottom line: 98% of skiers , officials, ( 100% of spectators ), sponsors, waterski enthusiasts all over the world, WANT YOU TO SKI. What a story.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't let a couple winners, spoil what we all LOVE and want, that is: TO MAKE THE SPORT BETTER, MORE EXCITING.

99% of the skiers would consider it an honor to ski in the same event as you. To maybe have the chance to go Head to Head with you, and as you know, anything can happen in a Head to Head. this would be a dream come true for most of the Big Dawg Skiers. I have talked with many, many, many of the skiers. two, and only two, have been negative about your participation. DO WE LET THOSE TWO ruin it for the rest of the waterskiers all over the WORLD?

It's not only the Big Dawg skiers, but the spectators, sponsors, all the skiers that will be competing in the Nationals. The shore line will be packed if you ski. 5 or 6,000 people is very possible. All wanting to watch a legend ski.

I don't want the same thing to happen to the Big Dawg that happened in the Pro Division. (short sightedness will kill it) Please help me make the Big Dawg even Bigger.

To be the best, you must beat the best. Are you kidding me, this would elevate the Big Dawg drastically. It would make the already great 34 mph skiers better. They would train harder, they would set their sights higher.

They want you there, we want you there. it would be AWESOME! Let's talk later today. Greg

• Baller

Wow ! only 2 skiers, could possibly put a spanner in the works.

Greg your post say,s it all what amazing support for a Great and well respected Individual, I hope Andy responds and gives you a call, the results are not important, the ski he stands on is not important, when I watch that boat pull away and Andy Mapple rises up on to the water, it brings excitement and joy to think I am about to see one of the Greatest Water Skiers ever, attack the slalom course in a way that no other can.

Now thats what is IMPORTANT ! I am lucky enough to have a signed photograph of Andy with a personal message to myself, it is one of my most treasured possesions.

• Baller
I didnt' bet him, however I would like to do something for IN HIS WAKES. Now you've got me thinking. If someone wanted to start a pool, Bet on Andy to Win or not to Win. 1/2 goes to Kristis Kids, IN HIS WAKES. ????? might be interesting.

• Administrators

@GregDavis thought about your idea for about 2 minutes before I realized that being a bookie would complicated.

If someone wants to do the organizing I will handle publicity.

• Baller
It could be really fun. Or we could do like the NCAA basketball tournament does. Fill out the brackets. I can't do it, for various reasons, however it would engage people in the tournament. Again, 1/2 to IN HIS WAKES, The other half could go to the skier who wins favorite charity. We would need to be careful not to cross and gambling law lines.