Andy Mapple withdraws from Big Dawg

Cypresskier

• Baller
I know wait list should be adhered to, so that it,s all done fairly, but a name like Andy Mapple, and all that he has pt into the sport, I think there might have been just one more slot in the comp, I definitely hope that there are no undertones, or people who would prefer he didn't ski, because that be an awful shame.

• Baller

Just received in my inbox:

Subject: Andy Mapple and the Big Dawg

Greg please forward this to all the Big Dawgs for me!

Dear Big Dawgs,

I received an email that Andy wrote to David West yesterday canceling his entry

into the Texas Big Dawg due to the fact that some of the Big Dawg skiers were

not happy about him competing with us! As we all know Andy had a very

successful career as a Pro Water skier and he has paid his dues, he loves the

sport and he devotes much of his time and energy into continual development of

our sport. I don't understand why any elite 34 mph skier would not want to ski

with and compete against Andy. Having Andy compete with us would be awesome,

what a great honor for the best skier in the world to come and compete in the

Big Dawg event.

Think about it, we are gaining momentum, don't kill it. Look at the potential

of his involvement. Maybe he will beat us all , who knows! I will do my best

and I would be thrilled to stand next to Andy on the podium any day!

I suggest we all write to Andy and let him know we want him to compete in the

Big Dawg.

Dave Miller

• Baller
May the best skier win:) Andy would definitely push the Dawg competition to a higher level. I would be willing to bet some more retired pros would come forward and ski as well. I believe it is tougher however to run 41 at 34mph vs. 36mph. So it will be interesting to see if he runs it. Jeff Rogers has yet to do so. I look forward to the 41 barrier to be broken this year.

• Baller
That is a great note from Dave Miller. I hope more Big Dawg competitors feel that way. I am not at that level but if I was I would want to compete against the best. I go to tournaments as it is to do the best I can because I generally have no chance to win in my division. I would hope that the Big Dawg skiers feel the same way.

• Baller

Well it makes sense that some skiers would be unhappy with the decision for him to ski in the big dawg, but they would all be arriving at their opinions on practice sets and past history, backing out is weak and with the reason given, if it was for personal issues involving time frames, actually not being ready yet even it would be better than the present reason.

No matter how much rumor or truth there is to how well he is skiing in practice he needs to step up and ski in a tournament IF competing again is truly his intention...comes across as not a very deep competitive fire...

Tiger Woods once dominated too and he's pretty beatable right now...very very few athletes ever "come back" and are as good as they once were...

• Administrators

My one and only comment on this is:

If Andy represents a standard of skiing beyond what is welcome in the BigDawg, Where is the line? Do you draw the line based on a historical buoy count? Highest elite ranking? Professional wins? Should Jeff Rogers be allowed to compete? What about Drew Ross? What about any other retired pro? Drawing a line is a tricky endeavor.

I am bummed about Andy's decision to withdraw his entry. I can remember KLP coming into the BD series and eneded up skiing against him in the sweet sixteen, what an honor that was and I will never forget it. I was looking forward to skiing with or against Andy (LOL) for may the best man win and anything can happen when the rope gets short. I truly think it would be great for the series if he was skiing with us.

• Baller

I just received this email from Andy.

Dave,

I just wanted to clarify my reasons for backing out of the Big Dawg. Miller misread it. You must forgive him, he is Canadian. He is one of the few that can read at all. Miller said I would not compete because some of the Big Dawgs were complaining. This is true with regard to the rumor Horton might pay to ski this Big Dawg event. All of the Big Dawgs are complaining about it. Can you imagine listening to that guy and looking at his hair for an entire event. I for one cannot stand the mere thought of it. I will not compete unless Horton is denied entry. I look forward to competing against Chad, Jay, Greg, Ward, Matt, etc... Horton is too much to take. Thanks,

Andy

• Administrators

email from Andy to me.

John,

I have been overwhelmed today with emails regarding the Big Dawg and makes you realize why we love this sport so much.

Since retiring from competition in 2004 and skiing an odd event here and there, I have been out of the role as an athlete/competitor. I have been very fortunate to continue in the sport and industry that I love in order to make a living, but the competetiveness never goes away and have longed to have another go. As many know already, Adam Cord and Myself have started a new ski company (AM Skis). Many think the ONLY reason I have entered BD is to sell skis. The BD series is very important to the slalom ski market, and AM Skis will be a part of the series, whether Andy Mapple is there or not. Yes, it works very well for me to be able to combine this, but my number one motivation is to compete again. I have the utmost respect for ALL the BD competitors. They are awesome athletes who have come a long way since the BD series was founded by Greg Davis. I see these guys running into 41off consistently and getting very close to all the way down the pass, so to me anyone who thinks they will come into this series and dominate is a fool.

I know for a long time there has been a fear that as former Pro skiers come to ski it will damage the series. There are rules in place, which I agree with to prevent this from happening too quickly. Having former Pro's come and want to compete with this level of competition I believe is a credit to all the BD athletes.

Since entering the BD event in Texas later this year, there have been some quite significant rumblings of how skiers will not go and support the series because of this. Andy Mapple skiing in the BD event and causing hurt to someone else's passion, is not worth it. I know how much I love the sport, but I had a great career competing, and I would never want to be a source that would spoil that opportunity for anyone else.

I will still be there and support the series and help anyone I can.

Regards

This is why I have no interest in watching the Big Dawg series. These guys want the same notoriety as pro-skiers, but when a legend like Andy meets the criteria for entry into the series, they spit the dummy and cry foul. Marcus Brown is on the money with his comments on the front page. Pro skiers dedicate their whole lives to the sport of waterskiing, and barely make ends meet doing it. Big Dawgs seem to only care about their little part of the sport and not about growing the sport as a whole.

• Baller
Ryno, that's an unfair generalization of Big Dawg skiers. Not all of them are like that, as not all Pros are upset about BD. Ask Chad Scott, Ben Favret, or Dave Miller if they'd want to go head to head against AM and they're gonna say absolutely. The best know that to be the best, you have to beat the best.

I realise they all don't have that attitude, but in this case it has only taken a few bad apples to ruin the bunch.

I'm not having a go at anyone particular in the Big Dawg series, it's just my feelings on the whole debate, as an outsider looking in.

• Baller_

Would have to Agree With Shane, I have had many experiences with a number of these "Big Dawg" skiers and all have been very sportive of other aspects of the sport besides the Big Dawg series, Dave is all way's ready and willing to provide coaching and support to most any skier that asks. Chad the same way as is Jay and many other skiers that Ski that series. One of the newer members of the Big Dawg is Water ski Mag's editor and chief, Todd is one guy that can never be said not bringing something to grow the sport.

As for Andy stepping aside and not participating I think that is not fair for Andy to not bring it. I know a number of the Big Dawgs were looking forward to sizing him up and leaving him in a prelim round or at best knocking him off in a early head to head ( I Crack my self up!).......

Bring on the 35 MPH series!!!

• Baller_

Its a shame Andy pulled out. Of the many BD competitors I know, most of them are enthusiastic about the series and eager to ski against anyone, including Andy.

Its too bad a small number of whiners can have such an effect, but those are type that will complain about anything, and there will always be bogus speculation about motives surrounding high profile people and events.

A comment I made in an earlier thread is worth repeating:

"In my mind, one of the biggest highlights of the Big Dawg series was the debut of Kris LaPoint a few years ago. How cool is it to go head to head against him even if you do get your ass whipped? How much better is it if you actually slay the giant? The same goes for Andy.

On the flip side, there is a long list of "former pros" who have found out that the Big Dawg is not anywhere as easy as they thought it would be."

The bottom line is that Andy's participation in the BD would be good for the event and the sport. I hope he will reconsider.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

It is a shame that some complaining resulted in a withdrawal of such a high profile competitor. He certainly met the technical requirments to compete, not sure what validity the complaints are based on.

The sad part is now the winner of any BD competition will always get to wonder if they really would have won the competition. . . are they really the best 34 mph skier that is qualified to compete at BD?

• Baller

I couldn't imagine a greater thrill for a Big Dawg than to have the opportunity to compete against KLP or Andy. Are you kidding me?! You may be annoying a very few competitors by entering the fray, but by not competing you are profoundly disappointing a great many competitors and fans.

Life is too short to let others make this sort of decision for you. Buck up! Get on that rad new ski and wreck havoc!

• Baller

I skimmed this. This kind of links into the thing Marcus put up about the elite and BD events. This would be like the pros deciding not to ski when Nate all of a sudden jumped on the tour and dominated. Andy has the same chance of running 41 than any of these guys, just a matter of time, if it can even be run at 55kph. Anyway we all know that anything can happen in head to head competition. Stranger things have happened. This, from my perspective, hurts the image of big dawg skiing.

I understand Andy withdrawing, he was on the waiting list and depending on where he was, might not have even got entry to the event, so might was well just end all controversy over him skiing.

• Baller_

Andy is a friend and arguably the best competitive slalom skier to date.

I not only welcome him but would be honored to be able to ski in an event with him.

A few years ago I had the privilege of being in a head to head with Kris in Austin Tx.

"After" he took me out I told him that I had always dreamed of skiing with or against him. These are men that achieved at the highest level of our sport. They are the best of their time.

Those of us who watched and got mesmerized by the skills and abilities of these men should in my opinion feel honored that we would be able to take the field of battle with them and even get a shot. Most of the tournaments they won I would never even have qualified for let alone won.

I know I am getting old even for masters men but I personally would consider it somewhat like a dream to ski with or against the likes of Andy Mapple.

Win, loose or draw... honored.....Chet

• Baller

Does anyone here know any Big Dawg skier that has complained about Andy entering? I don't and I know several of them.

Did either of the "emails" above actually come from Andy? Seem made up to me, but can't be sure...

Chet said a mouthful!

• Baller

With Water skiing in demise, it's a sad day if Hortons email from Andy is the real thing, maybe two or three made noises, but I cannot imagine all big dawgs have those thoughts, I have been around the sport a long time and people do become selfish in the respect of what they are trying to achieve on a individual basis, but never towards other people, thats why the Pro,s are so approachable and willing to give advice.

It,s unbelievable that somebody who has given so much to the sport and had to withdraw from the Pro scene due to it ravaging his ageing body, which will happen to us all by the way, feels that he is banished from the sport he loves and is unable to compete due to the comments and actions of a few.

Words cannot covey my dissapointment, it is truly a very sad day, when a great athlete is denied the respect he has earned, he has given so much, it's time for people to give him something back. ie:the respect he deserves.

Shame on you ! who ever you are.

• Baller

Maybe it should be referred to as the Little Dawg going forward? If Andy isn't a Big Dawg, I don't know who would be. I will show my disdain by using Little Dawg until Andy skis.

I stated my thoughts earlier in this thread, and have not changed. Just think how Ben and Kris feel about this. They can ski but Andy is too good? BS. I don't see anyone's livelihood being changed by winning or losing a Little Dawg event. Don't forget, the pros got into skiing for the same reason we all did, THEY LOVE IT... What's next, win 2 Little Dawg events and then you can't ski anymore until your skill level goes down?

I can't imagine the majority of the Dawgs feel this way, so if Andy or anyone else can't get off the dock because of them, it would just be business as usual in our sport.

• Baller

I guess I must have brain farted when I went to post the other day, as I see it is not in the original thread about Andy skiing.

I am not a little dawg skier, but, if I was, I would be stoked to compete against Andy, or Kris, or Jeff, or Carl, etc.... That's what competition is all about. ?I would be busting my butt getting in better shape, tweaking my ski, running hot times, etc..... to make sure I brought my A game to the event.

My original thoughts would be the true Big Dawg skiers would relish in the thought of sitting in the water and skiing against a retired pro. You would have everything to gain and the pro has everything to lose. Why would a pro put themself in that position? Because they love to compete against the best and they love to ski. If it was a record that they were after, there are any number of record factories down south that they could obscurely show up and claim a record. They want the competition, get it?

I know if I was running a Dawg event, I would love to have Andy show up and compete, beleiving that people would show up just to watch him ski, or a chance to chat on the shoreline. Geez, what an opportunity lost if the Big Dawg doesn't ski.

• Baller

Somebody start a donation link, I am sure, people would contribute to Andy's entrance fee and expenses, 10 or 20 bucks a piece

" C'mon Andy let,s get it on"

Ski the Dawg event, it would give so many people pleasure to see you on the water in competition again.

For the sake of the sport, do not let the small minded people win this one.

• Baller

@MS, I don't think winners think that way. Every successful business owner I know is always a glass is half full kind of person. Failure is not even given a thought... If failure is encountered, you re-group and conquer.

• Baller_
@stevieboy, I disagree that waterskiing is in demise, everything changes over time, and adjustments that are good for one aspect may inadvertantly affect others. It's about having fun doing something you enjoy, whether one million or one thousand are involved, I'm still having a good time, and that's what truly matters

• Baller

@MS no need to put "in jest" into your post, it is an absolute factor, if he comes out and does poor it totally reflects on the ski...consumers absolutley relate to a products results. If he came out and cleaned everyone AM skis would have numerous orders immediatley.

It's funny how many here blame the "few" who voiced their negative opinion with Andy skiing, their not to blame...

People who are confronted with negativism make their own choice on which direction to go, to me, chosign to pull out shows zero lack of commitment, desire and drive to accomplish something if it relates to actually skiing as the letter says...

if it's a business decision because the ski's may not be 100% ready or he's not 100% ready then fine, acceptable and the smart and proper choice...

• Baller

Over time various people, have had a pop @ Andy, some of them unjust and quite cruel, but he still remains one of the nicest guy,s you could ever meet, I guess in my world I like to see everybody play by the rules and fairness prevail, it's for everybody to search their conscience and be happy with the answers they find.

I have said enough !

I think there are a host of opinions out there regarding Andy skiing in the Big Dawg Series, I have an appreciation from two different perspectives. First and foremost as a Skier, I would love the opportunity to ski against Andy Mapple and/or Jeff Rodgers. I mean who wouldn't.

As someone who has organized a Big Dawg prior to it becoming part of the series and then hosting part of the series, I understand some of the concerns regarding Mapple skiing in the Big Dawg. At the qualifiers, the prize or purse is derived from the entry fees. The host site is responsible for the purse. If the tournaments dont fill up then it doesn't cover the cost. I think the guys from Cypress will tell you that they barely broke even last year with around 40 entries. So as a tournament organizer you need the guys that are skiing for the 15- 16th seed and looking for a shot at the head to head. This series when it was created was a place for amatuer Mens 3,4,5 skiers to compete against each other for a little bit of money. Usually barely enough to cover the expense of the tournament. Over the years several former pros have migrated to the Big Dawg Series and there seems to always be some concern over the series turning into a senior pro tour, which was not the idea the series was created on. But it has happened and has been a positive for the series. It has stepped up performances of skiers across the board. And Andy's presence will do the same. As we have over the years allowed the pros to come to the Big Dawg, I think we should modify the format to continue to encourage those guys that are skiing just for an opportunity to make the head to head. I mean obviously if Andy or Jeff ski, they are fairly certain to always occupy a spot in the sweet 16. So you will loose some of the guys that will not spend the money to travel and ski the event if they think they dont have a chance of advancing having a chance at the head to head.

I think a solution that would encourage more participation regardless of the presence of former pros is to expand the Head to Head on Sunday. Instead of taking 16 take 20, give the top 4 guys a bye and create a larger bracket. This would certainly increase participation and ones chances of getting the chance to ski against some of the icons of the sport.

Greg Badal came up with an idea of a 35 mph Division which did not get much support from USA Waterski "imagine that". It would be nice to create a senior pro tour and give the former professionals a division to ski at 35 mph, I think if the truth were known, that neither Jeff or Andy really like skiing 34. And certainly with a list of skiers such as Mapple, Rodgers etc, there would be sponsorship opportunities within the industry. Greg does one of the best formated tournaments I have been to. The Diablo Shores Pro Am features skiers of all levels. The past few years he has hosted a legends division along with OM, OW, MM and every other division.

I think this is a great discussion and I think Andy is a class act that is trying to do what he feels is the right thing. He just want to compete because its in his blood and we as skiers and tournament organizers with the same passion should look for ways to be creative and include anyone who wants to compete in the sport we all love.

I am considering trying to host an event as I suggested. 34mph top 20 into the Head to Head and I hope I can get Andy and Jeff to compete.