Slalom in Pennsylvania... But not Pittsburg

ThePantsManCan

• Baller

Yeah I am looking for a course. My main lake is Blue Marsh Lake just north and West of Reading PA. I know of the Black Rock Boat Club in Phoenixville that has a course on public water (Schuylkill River) and I have tried to become a member. But I got blown off. Not a big deal though as that club is more than an hour and a half East of my place.

I guess what I am REALLY looking for is if anyone has some sort of super sneaky hidden lake with a course in the central PA area. Maybe a private one? I sure doubt it though.

• Baller
There's a small private lake just outside of Reading. I skied there several times one summer and the folks were very nice. This was several years ago and I no longer have any contact info. They used to be listed as an AWSA club, but I don't recall seeing them listed in recent years.

• Baller
Lake Aldred ski club on the Susquehanna river use to have a course....public lake though. Still it would be good for early morning runs....it was on the west side of the large island so somewhat protected. This would be just east of Red Lion PA. What town are you in?

@ Sherwood or @ThePantsManCan do you know of private slalom courses in Southern PA, I currently reside in York and when the weather and water co-operate I ski over on Lake Adred. Just looking for multiple locations maybe Gettysburg?

Thanks

• Baller
Beyond Lake Aldred I do not know. I read somewhere that there is a private community with a slalom course in Gettysburg. I just did a quick google search and it came up. Lake Heritage. I have no contacts there and have never been/seen it. I just found a youtube video of a Malibu Response haulin a kid on the lake. He has a ski on and the water looks iffy.

• Baller
Haha! No, I started this thread two years ago. I've driven into the lake you ski at. But I was always traveling for work at the time. I live right down the road from my lake, partially due to this thread!! A lot has changed in the last two years I'll tell you.

• Baller_

I think I heard about that site in Gettysburg. It was a nice quiet place with a lot of northern skiers. Then whole bunch of southerners invaded the place. This old fellow named Bobby came in, brought this nice while boat. On the stern it read "TRAVELER RICHMOND VA." Started trying to take over the big tall turn island and throw the northerners out. The island had a funny name... roundtop something or something roundtop. Anyway,there was a big fight. Some college professor, Chamberlain I think his name was, and a bunch of his buddies from Maine got on top of the island, charged down the hill and pushed all the southerns off. Things kind of changed after that. Then one of the southern dudes ran up a big bill on the club Visa card. When the bill came everyone was pointing fingers, but they figured out it was this southern fellow's charge. Pickett, was his name. So it was Pickett's charge. The northerners decided not to pay it and Pickett's credit got wiped out. After that the southerns decided it was time to skeedaddle, and that was the end of it. But that's all in the past, maybe like eight score and one year ago.

At least that is how I heard the story...

Lpskier

• Baller

A bit off-topic, but back when, in Reading PA, they regularly had tournaments there, such as the

1965 Easterns. Best as I know, they lost their site, and chose to make a major donation to

the AWSEF with some $$ they had. Several years ago.

• Baller
@MAD11 Doesn't Fox Run ski on the river? The place I was thinking of was Wernersville (if I remember correctly). It was a small private pond and you had to know where the dirt road/path was as the pond is tucked in behind farm land. Anyway... can't seem to find it on Google Earth.

• Baller
@Edbrazil a little more than several years ago. It doesn't seem that long ago, but it's been 15 years since the dam broke during hurricane Floyd. The fun tournament that @ThePantsManCan‌ mentioned was the 2nd annual Reading Water Skiers Memorial tournament. That was held on a Schuykill River impoundment called Staircase Lake.

• Baller
@dchristman, I don't recall. It was a very small lake/pond. A few guys were decent skiers, but 1 guy showed up later and skied into 38 off like it was easy. There was a boat house that he had to store his boat. Others dry docked them onsite.

• Baller

Dragging out this old thread once again. Hey Donny and Ryan, I am VP of Port Indian Ski Club on the Schuylkill River near Norristown. We always welcome new members, especially those who want to contribute and help with making our club better. This year we are serious about putting in a slalom course like we've had years ago. Age and flooding have taken their toll on the course so we will most likely be getting a new course. If you're interested please contact me. My email is pennprov@comcast.net

Our club website is www.portindianskiclub.org

No club boat, however many of us have great slalom machines ('93 Prostar, 95 Prostar, 05 197)

We have picnics, river day ski show in July, and we just hosted Ski Freeze January 1st raising over $8500 for our charity. We don't host tournaments, but we do know how to have fun!

-Dave Wert

• Baller

@jerseydave we may be able to help you out with a course. We bought a few floating courses with the remaining Reading Water Skiers money when we folded and have provided them to some of the other sites in PA. I don't know if there are current cables on what we have left, but I'll check.

It would be great to have another course in the area. Skiing on private lakes is terrific, but I miss the social atmosphere of skiing on the river. I have many fond memories of time spent on the Schuykill River in Reading and at Port Indian.