Why is there a MM and M3 division?

skiray

Why have a MM and M3? I just looked at the rankings on USA Waterski. The top skiers are pretty much the same people in both? Is there a qualification to ski MM? Do they ski both events at Nationals? Probably dumb questions....

• Baller
Most of MM will ski in MM for state, regionals, nats. Many get scored in the other divisions at local tourneys because they'd like to ski with friends (sometimes they would be the only MM skiing), or ski at a different scheduled time, etc. Was created so the best of M3 M4 M5 could compete, and give a fun division for the old pros/open guys.

• Baller

Scores from Masters do not carry over to age division overall. If a skier has any interest in overall, the rules force that skier to ski age division. Competing in the Masters division is done when an overall score is not the priority.

Horrible rule.

Eric

• Supporting Member

Believe MS is refering to the "fact" (I was there) that the guy who won, Jason Staab, didn't go around the 4 ball either, but he did get credit for it.

The thing is, Jason skied freakin' awesome in terrible conditions* and was quite deserving of a gold, even if a "technically correct" call would have sent it to a run-off (though not with Chad...). Anyhow I don't think anyone takes it too seriously; pretty sure MS was just trying to be funny.

*How terrible? I finished 14th in M3 at the Nationals with a 1.5 @ -35...

• Baller
Jason skied awesome, but it would have been nice to have been in a run off. I think Chad has had some bad calls take away his chance at a national title in M3. I personally think there should be video in the boat for regionals and nationals.