ski nautique 206 with zero off review

bigtex2011

• Baller
we are looking at options for a back up boat. has anyone skied with the 206 with zero off.. we have had many 196's and currently a sn200 at our club. is the 206 a different hull than the 196 or did they stretch the bow to accommodate the extra seating. thx in advance

• Baller

It's a stretched 196. RLXi also came out in 03 and was far roomier (full observer seat width, for one thing, you could also put longer than a 66" ski in the trunk) and was Malibu's premier towboat at the time so it had to do everything well. Still the best boat they ever made by far, IMO (03-06 RLXi). The RLXi had a no-compromise wake for all disciplines. 206 had mixed reviews depending on who you asked and what they like to do. Malibu promo guys had the RLXi, CC guys had the 196 generally.

I am a CC purist and superfan through and through but I wouldn't get a CC OB unless it was a 200. That said I do think the driving and the looks of the 206 are superb.

I had a 2009 206 Team and really enjoyed it. It tracked better than the 196 but the 196 had a smaller & softer wake. The shoreline guys didn't have a problem with the wake but wanted to ski behind boats they ski behind in tourneys so it rarely got used and I sold it. It was a great boat and about the only thing I had a real problem with was not having the full observer seat; they were available mine just didn't have one.

• Baller

Thx Cotton,

I squeak thru 38 about half the time. and i mean squeak. my wife gets into 35. we have 3 squids that are working there way thru the ranks. if the wake is close to a 196, then I'll probably do it. we need the room, and my wife has to bribe the kids into skiing with tubing and other shenanigans.

• Baller_
Bigtex2011 You will like it. I had 2003/4/5 and they were great boats. Wakes at 22plus are the same or better than LXI/MC and a -28 and into very short line it is the same as the 196. Drives great but not as good as the 196 around docks and tight areas. Trickers liked the wake better then the 196.

• Baller
Is spray better on the TXi than LXi? I'm not saying it's horrible behind the LXi but in a headwind at short line it's there though small drops...nothing like the golf balls of older boats. I get zippo on SN196/200 or MC 197.

• Baller

thx Scot, i appreciate the feedback on the 206.. we currently use a 2009 lxi as our back up boat. i occasionally get sprayed in the face starting at 35 thru 38 if there is a STRONG headwind. otherwise it is a fine boat. we lease it and need to buy..as long as it fits in the budget i would definitely buy one. i've had a little better luck with nautique's in the past, but i'd never skied behind the 206

• Baller

My nieghbor had a 2010 206 until he upgraded to a 200 409 this year. I thought the boat was OK 28 and 32. It was huge at 22. I felt like it drove great you just sat higher. Reminded me of the Sunsetter LXI. Not in the same ballpark with the TXI, RLXI, 200, 196 or 197.

My 2 cents

Jeff Lindsey