Why I've Quit Using a 13" Handle (again)

Ed_Obermeier

• Baller

Ten years ago I quit using a 13" handle after having a couple of them fold up on me while skiing, been using a 12" ever since. First one was a Straightline, I almost didn't get my hand out of it before it was too late. The 2nd was a replacement for the first one, started to bend on the 4th set of usage, went to the dock and threw it as far as I could...

At the suggestion of the pro coach I've gone to for the past several summers (I'll leave his name out as he's not involved in this) this spring I bought a couple Masterline 13" handles, one radius and one straight. The photo is of the radius handle, which folded up on me during this mornings sets. Bought it mid-April so it hasn't had all that much use. Haven't used the straight one yet, just about afraid to. For now at least I'm back on the 12" ML handles which I've had for years and have never had an issue whatsoever with.

Felt this one folding on me coming off the one ball at 32 off this morning. Had to let go of it just after the boat was really picking me up at the end of the turn, which resulted in a fairly brutal 2 1/2 OTF. Kinda cranked my neck trying to stick the 2nd flip (I didn't stick it...) but no permanent harm and only a slightly stiff neck so I'm good.

Anyone else had any issues with folding handles lately?

• Baller
Used to bend and break handles as well as ropes with ridiculous regularity when I weighed more, was stronger and skied wrong. Now have not for many years. @Ed Obermeier, please don't think I'm calling you a big strong dude that skis wrong...just relating my experience : )

• Baller
They shouldn't break, but for your peace of mind, grab on the ends...outer sides at least. The amount of power needed to bend them goes way way up. At least at that point, you won't be thinking about it. The other idea is to get them made or do it after purchase- put a wood dowel in middle. I'll bet if you contact Russell , he'd be happy to do it for you- real good guy.

• Baller
I would've thought the rope would break before the handle. I have broke tons of 64 strand but no 80 strand rope. I have bent some 12" handles but no performer handles (old style). I have learned to be light on the line and haven't broken any since. I wouldn't pull someone who bent handles like that for safety reasons.

• Baller

@6balls no offense taken. I'm sure I ski all kinds of wrong... I took a small slack hit when this bent but nothing that should have caused this I wouldn't think. I'm 6' 2" and 193 so I'm not all that big (heavy). I admit I'm still trying to figure out this whole light-on-the-line thing but I'm generally reasonably smooth. Doo-doo occurs I guess. Only the 2nd time this has ever happened to me but both times with 13" handles, never with a 12". I really want to stay with a 13", makes it easier to get my shoulders back, but having only been back on a 13" for couple of months before this happened I'm a bit gun shy again.

ML makes 3 levels of handles, this is/was the mid level ($65 buck handle). Guess I need to spend more money...

• Baller

@Ed Obermeier,

Last handle I bought was a 13" ML Drew Ross Signature. It is their top of the line, but very Heay Duty, with really nice rubber to grip with. Should last a very long time. Also is anti-roll. I think you would be very safe and very happy with it. Huge selection of diameters available.

• Baller

@swc5150 Randy at MasterLine told me that all of the diameters of their top handles have the same aluminum pipe as the core. The large diameter handles just have thicker rubber on them.

@Ed_Obermeier The pipe used as the core of their top handles is thicker walled tubing than their less expensive handles. That's why they are heavier ... and stronger.

• Baller
I have never had a handle do that. You must have a better grip than I do. If I get a ton of slack in the rope I bail out. A half buoy or quarter buoy is not worth sacrificing your shoulder and ending your season. If there was that kind of torque on the handle I could not hang on. I use a 1.00 diameter handle. I have an old straightline radius, masterline 13''x1.00 traditional, and two straightline traditionals same size. I rotate 4 slalom handles/ropes each day I go out.

• Baller
I don't use the bent ones but I weigh about 215 now and was 240 and never bent a handle. I have been skiing primarily with handles from Brenda at InTow. I agree you might want to think about a different brand and/or a higher end handle.

Funnily enough our club has 5 or 6 bent Masterline Monster handles. Some with as little as a few days use on them. Havent heard anything back from Masterline on them yet as I sent them a note via their website.

This year is the first time I have bent a handle and I never grab the middle. I can ski deep 35off and bent the handle at 32off.

• Baller
Odd. 90% of the folks at my record tournaments use Masterline as do 100% of my club members. I've yet to see one fail or bend. I would challenge anyone to put more force on a handle than Ward does at 41-off. I'm not certain if there is a difference in the core of the custom vs. team handles but most everyone I know uses the custom version.

• Baller

I customized one of the cheaper ones like that and posted a pic out here exactly like that. They sent me one of the premium handles as a replacement.

It doesn't have as much radius as I like, but better than straight.

I sure miss the ARS original radius!

• Baller
@jdarwin -- I use the custom 1.03 and have never had one bend. I got two of their "cheaper" handles one year and both of them bent in the first day of use. Some might say that I occasionally load the line a little hard, but neither broke from a slack hit. Just progressive energy against the boat into the first wake. Sent them back and ML replaced them, but I don't use those handles. Stick with the custom.

• Baller

@MattP The Monster handles are aluminum core AFAIK.

I didn't even know they made the higher end ones with Titanium, good to know as I just ordered a custom handle through @jdarwin and if its anything like previous masterline products I'm not concerned

• Baller

@Jim Neely, it was a 1.00" standard issue Monster Radius Team handle.

@AB that's a CUSTOM top-o-the-line handle? Damn...

Spoke with Randy at Masterline today. Told him my issue, he offered to replace my bent handle with a Custom handle at no up charge. I offered to pay the difference but he was good with trading out even up. So I guess I'll give a 13" Custom a go (visualize me making the sign of the cross as I say that...). Bend this one, I'm done. I'll be sending the bent one in next day or two.