what other sports do you ballers pursue?

• Baller

I loves me my waterskiing, but I am passionate about some other sports too. Me:

1. Snow skiing. I am a full cert instructor/coach and run a noncompetitive "freeride" team for kids on weekends at Sun Valley, Idaho. (I may start a thread comparing snow skiing and waterskiing, as I have seen there has been some discussion. I would like to add my .02 given my background. Hint: while I think there may be some crossover, it is not exactly the same at all, though you do want to be "stacked" over your ski(s) in both sports).

2. The other most significant sport would be mountain biking. Cross country mountain biking, with a "freeride" emphasis. Basically, that means I like to ride uphill and down, but enjoy full suspension, jumps and bumps, and having tons of fun. (Again, stacked over the pedals).

3. Depending on the day, you'll find me on a skateboard, hiking, running, playing tennis, whatever.

How about you guys?

• Baller

Rowing

I have been competing for 8 years. My boat was Nationally ranked in the top 20 for 4 years in my event. hands down the most fun you can have on the water if you are not skiing of course. As NBC put it a few days ago in Olympic trials "The greatest team sport in the Olympics" watch them race 8+ in a few weeks and you will find out why!

I would say there are many things about rowing that translated for me into skiing was

1. How to stay calm and collected at a race which now helps in ski tournaments.

2. How to put equipment changes out of your mind. Put a new ski under me and I just ski and don't think about it.

3. How to be coached, taking what someone is telling you, being able to ask the right questions and apply it so your own body can do it.

4. Conditions usually don't phase me. I have rowed in 3foot white caps that once sunk a boat, hurricane force winds, snow, ice, and the end of the day a stroke is a stroke and you have to do it to finish, this is one reason I will ski in anything.

I am also a rowing coach I drive back to my home town everyday from college to coach high schoolers during the week, and a middle school program on saturday as well as an adult program on Sunday. I am certified from USRowing in coaching as well as a hand full of other boating and safety courses. So that pretty much made me a Safety Director this year.

• Baller

Dirt biking. Mainly woods/trail riding but an occasional moto track. And when not on the dirt bike I can be found riding my street bike on the twisty roads.

Winter time if snow or money allows finds me riding snowmobile off trail.

• Baller
12 oz bicept curls. Currently, working on my two fisted technique. Hope to make regionals and nationals someday. What are you guys running for angle settings for the imports vs. domestics?

• Baller

@sunvalleylaw -- I am also a full cert instructor as well as a member of the ski patrol. I think it's funny because whenever I tell someone about I snow ski with about waterskiing they always comment about how it's different and you have to "lean back" on water skis. I always tell them it's actually more similar than you would think. I have found that if you compare waterskiing to skiing in powder (at least while on two skis) it seems to make more sense to people.

Besides water skiing I also do quite a bit of running and have been getting into triathlons lately.

• Baller
Used to do tae kwon do 2-3 times a week for years -- made it to second degree black belt and did a lot of sparring, but the risk for injury is a little to big. I've seen broken noses, ribs and ripped up knees and ankles. Just didn't think it was worth it anymore. Do some strength training in the offseason. Snow ski some, but not as much as I would if I lived further west. So I guess now it's down to strength training and skiing.

• Baller

Good stuff! I like the comparisons. I may come back to discuss some. @MattP, very cool! UW Husky graduate here. I was never on crew though had some friends that were. Full respect for those athletes!

@lagdawg, what resort? Also, that is interesting about the powder skiing. To me, with the new skis, powder skiing has become more like giant slalom or Super G rad. turn skiing, which to me IS more like water skiing. More in the snowskiing thread I am working on. I am going to take my time and post it later tonight or tomorrow after I handle work.

@xrated, lots of comparisons between dirt biking and modern mountain biking. The moto guys are always the best going downhill. Some comparisons to waterskiing there too I think.

@ToddL, Excellent work! With the new micros in the cans (especially Oskar Blues beers), I have been experimenting with a pull tab angle of between 7 and 9 degrees, but I need to find some gauges! :-)

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw - that would be Perfect North Slopes just outside of Cincinnati, OH. Modern fat skis ride in powder with a similar angle of attack as a water ski does in water. But in neither case do you lean back instead you aim to remain stacked over your skis. I have used this same description with students who seem to think you need to lean back in powder, crud or other similar conditions and I have also used the same description when helping snow skiers learn to waterski.

• Baller

@lagdawg, I concur with you. Leaning back has no place in either sport. Unless you are doing a Wayne Wong jetstick type of turn on purpose!

I will look forward to discussing in more detail with you when I get my snow skiing comparison thread up. Gotta get off the internetz and work now.

• Supporting Member

Once upon a time, had a lot of fun doing high jump (best 6'1") and triple jump (42'7.75") in high school and college. These days I don't make time for other actual sports, unless you're of the persuasion that bass fishing and poker are sports.

I also was a VERY amateur rower while at MIT, so I sorta know what MattP is talking about.

• Baller_

I played softball for many many years until about 4 years ago, would like to get back on a team just dont have near the availability since moving from Orlando.

Currently building a limited displacement race boat to run in the new APBA runabout class, if you want to call that a sport.

@sunvalleylaw we seem like very similar people haha

besides waterskiing

me and my friends freestyle snow ski, im talking flips, spins, cliffs, rails exct.

and i also love freeride/ xc mtb, i make a lot of trails around my house with drops, jumps, bridges exct

also the trampoline, bmx, skate, rollerblade (yup) and sadly crew for my school, i hate it

• Baller
I'm a road racing junkie. I’ve been racing formula cars and superbikes (and sailplanes) for 35 years (which explains why I'm a serial fin fiddler) and have won 12 championships along the way. On a more relaxing level, I enjoy golf and flying RC Helicopters 3D style. Lately, I’ve been trying to catch up to my wife in triathlon; my favorite part is the sexy TT bikes ... or maybe it's drafting my aerodynamic wife ...