Michigan Clubs/Tournament Lakes

SpartanSki

Look here for more info - http://mwsa.org/eventsmain-three_event.html Michigan is full of great places to ski. There's a couple locations on the west side of the state and many on the east. under the "home" tab above is a Google Earth map of all the locations in MI I'm aware of. FYI there's a 2rd record 3-event tournament in Lawton, MI this weekend (about 20 minutes southwest of Kalamazoo). Awesome place to ski!

• Baller
Spartanski ,there are several ski sites over in the fenton - flint area. However I do not think any of them have an open ski club, however they all hold tournaments. Like was said earlier look on the web page, there are also 4 sites on the west side now including placid. And all of those will be holding tournaments as well

• Baller
Spartanski, I live in Lk Orion. Do you have a course on Maceday/Lotus/Greens Lakes? I live on a private lake but have to put the course in/out when we ski. My neighbors will not sign off to get a permit to leave a course in permanently. We manage pretty good 15-20 min in and 12 out. If you are ever in need of a pull let me know. We usually ski on my lake on the weekends and if time allows we go to other lakes that are public with a course on weekdays.

• Baller
Spartanski, I live down the street on Lake Oakland. Good news/bad news about our area: We are equidistant to lots of ski sites in the area but none are really close. Everything is an hour away give or take a few minutes. Sites that host tournaments are listed on the website mentioned above and there may be a couple more. Not sure about membership openings though.

• Baller
@GMC is your course up this yr on Oakland? I was over there this past weekend and did not see it up. We went over to Woodhull and got a little skiing in before a few guys had to pull it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I keep up a course on lotus lake but its a big open lake with seawalls on all sides, it chops up quick. Greens lake has a sinkable course in a good area but I just moved onto the lake and my boat is on lotus, apparently I need to make friends.

I was hoping to find a site/club to take that next step up in practice to get up to tournament level. Nothing huge but I've Been hacking up 15/22 off for a couple years now and id like to move up. I figured skiing with tournament skiers at tournament sites couldn't hurt.

• Supporting Member

@SpartanSki My advice would be to just go ahead and sign up for the tournaments. As long as you can run some pass consistently (28 mph is fine), then you can compete against yourself -- which is what we're all really doing anyhow.

And then you'll meet people who can see you want to get even more serious, which is the best way.

It may seem like putting the cart before the horse, but it really isn't.

• Baller

Lynette, tivoli, Lyon, Dixboro, and Jepawhit. Clio is awesome but further away.

Not sure about memberships, but I think Lyon does, and Triplett can comment on Clio.

Look at Google Earth Ski Sites and there may be others that are not on the grid, but Earth can allow you to do a pretty good search of your area.

• Baller
I think there is a proved site in Grand Blanc that an older gentleman owns that has a new CC every year you pay a annual (i think 2-3k) and have at it. I can find more out tomorrow I will be skiing with a guy who is a member there.

• Baller

@Spartanski I am late to the party here, but as @AB says I can help with Clio. We have a new 200 with a 5.7L every year, record capability course and a number to people to ski with. We are actually having a tournament this weekend if you want to come up and check it out, talk with Fred Triplett or myself about it. We are about 30 min from Clarkston, super easy drive, just straight up 75 and only 3 miles off the expressway.

@mzito, I am not sure of the site in Grand Blanc, unless you are talking about Jeff Smiths lake in Gaines Twp, which is fairly close (15 min from GB). You are right about the price, they do have a new 200 every year, but they have multiple 200's throughout the year as he sells them and puts another one on the lake. Lyons is fairly hard to get into given how their club is set up.

Of course feel free to DM me about any of the sites, as I know most of the guys that ski at the other sites!

• Baller

@Triplett, Thanks for the info. I will find out if it is jeff's site that my buddy is talking about in Grand Blanc. Jeff is a great guy and said I could get a few pulls at his site, but I have just been to busy. Are you back in MI? I skied with Brooks Wilson this spring in FL and MattP was over and mentioned that you are a good instructor and I should get some coaching from you when possible. I would not have any issue driving to Clio to learn and try to get better. I have improved since working with Brooks. I would like to keep moving forward.

Thanks

Thanks @Triplett, I'd love to come check it out. When is the tournament running? Looking back at the link that crashman posted I noticed that the home is on Triplett Ln, is that the site that the you're talking about? Bummer, since I just bought my house 3 months ago...

On an unrelated note, my local shop just started carrying Reflex...I never should've tried those on.

• Baller

@spartanski, it is the site on triplett lane. The tournament is this weekend on Saturday, starting at 8am. This is our first record, I know Scott Tynan, Nate Smith, and Cale Burdick will be there, along with some other really good skiers. Reflex is awesome!

@mzito, this wouldn't be a problem. Let me know if you want to do some lessons here. I am free most Sundays since there are no tournaments that day. Also, next weekend I am free. I am glad to help.

• Baller

@Triplett, Thank you I will check my schedule and see if I can muster up a few guys (make it worth your time) for this weekend Sunday. Brooks was working on increasing my speed, I have always skied at 32 and now I would like to go at 34. I am just a hockey player tying to ski....My goal this year is -22@34 not much but it would be huge for me.

mzito, I am at the exact level you are as are most of the guys I ski with and know myself and one or more of us would be interested in lessons so we could possibly be some of the guys to muster.

triplett, I'm going to hack up my course on Saturday morning then head out to your site to check out the tournament. Thanks again for all the help, looking forward to the weekend!

So Triplett's site is amazing. I took my son with me to the tournament and we got to watch Nate ski as well as watch Triplett put up a 1@41. Now I just need to convince my wife on the club dues...

Awesome site, great people, twas a good day.

Thanks

Blain

• Baller

Just got done skiing with Brent today. What a fantastic place and a very good instructor. I definitely will take what I learned and work on them for a few weeks and head back for another lesson. Just a super good guy with a great attitude.