Boat Blower - Anyone use it?

EricW

• Baller
I watched a boat go up in flames years ago at Lake Powell when they went to start it. I faithfully use my blower if the boat has been sitting still for any length of time. Chances of a fuel leak are small if you check for them regularly, but the blower is such an easy fail safe, I don't see a reason not to use it.

• Supporting Member

For a cold-start, I like to just open the cover, take a quick peak around, and then close it. This lets the air exchange, and also (I think!) would give me a big old whiff of gasoline if there were a problem.

And it's a lot quicker than 4 minutes of blowering.

I've seen a boat blow the cover off and go up in flames because of not using a blower. Admittedly it was an older boat, however the outcome was pretty nasty; one child got burns over his body and one of the adults got burns on one leg. The only way we could put the flames out was tilting the outboard motor up on our boat and dousing it with water.

• Baller
We do not use the blower, but we open the engine box before starting the boat in the morning, and we also leave the box slightly open when the day is hot and we stop it for more than 30 mins. If we do not do this, the boat tends to stall...

• Baller

I always run mine when the boat it at idle. I always open the engine cover first thing before starting. I open the cover after I have put the boat back on the lift to help cool down the engine too.

• Baller

Always used it. I also have the habit of flipping the cover open/close couple times just to draw fresh air in when I walk by it. I turn the blower on between sets as well, but not when the boat is running, because I think it used to interfere with PP, due to voltage draw.

Also, probably less of an issue for current direct fuel injected engines, unlike the carburetor and TBI boats that has fuel evaporating inside of the cover. But I still have the same habit, just in case.

• Baller_
Always use it on initial start and after fueling or sitting for any length of time. If you open the cover before the start, leave it open for the start. Any fume ignition will be a flash instead of an explosion. When it come to safety, especially easy safety, why cut corners?

Lpskier

• Baller

I trailer and it gets blown out on the highway. The other lakes I ski on have boats on lifts, and we use AFTER fueling.

Realize that air vents through as long as there is any wind or boat movement.

• Baller
Gas is nothing to mess with. A friend of my cousin and his wife were on a boat on Lake Erie that had just been refueled. When the boat was started it exploded. He was badly burned, and his wife was killed instantly. She was in her mid 20's. I am a firm believer in keeping you engine compartment dry, and clean. It makes it easier to spot leaks. It extends the life of all your boat's components, and it could save your life too. The blower should always be on when you are at idle.

One major insurance company, here in OZ, won't touch boats unless they're fitted with one. This is more directed at boats over about 10 years old to force owners to fit them......... for good reason.

Too many Deep Sixers blamed on fuel vapours.

NEVER run mine, i always open the engine cover for first start. A guy at a gas dock near us filled up and flipped on his blower and the boat is at the bottom of the lake now due to a spark off of the blower. So if you do fill up on the water leave the blower running!

Always 2-minutes before starting. Always while idling more than 2-minutes. Always at idle speed.

Check your marine insurance policy and see if you are covered if you don't have a blower installed and the boat goes up - the fine print is worth reading.

There is much greater risk of a sudden leak with the GM FI systems that run on high pressure than the old low pressure carb systems. If you have an in-tank fuel pump, beware and use the blower.

Gasoline vapors sink in the air. Simply opening the engine cover may not evacuate the vapors. Blower hoses have to be on the bottom for this reason.

Avoid vapor lock:

1. Use the blower as I do above. You will avoid the alcohol from vaporizing due to high temps.

2. Avoid alcohol in gasoline, if possible.

3. Use Marine Sta-Bil if the boat will set several days or every fillup with alcohol laden fuels.