New Powershell user with prerelease issues

RLW

• Baller
I recently switched to Goode Powershells but have had problems with prereleasing with the 3M 250 interlock that came on the ski. I actually ruptured my eardrum in a fall yesterday. I like the Powershells and would prefer to keep them. I know many people have used some 400 on the plate, but I am getting different recommendations regarding the amount of 400 to use and where to place it. I was recently told that 3 inches of 400 on the front of the plate on each side (with 250 still on the ski) should prevent prereleasing. I was told that any more than that would prevent releasing entirely. I was wondering if anyone with experience could provide some input - how much 400 and where on the plate to put it?. It seems to me that the back of the plate would release first, and I am skeptical of placing the 400 only on the front of the plate. Also, 3 inches seems like such a small amount. I don't want to prerelease and get injured again, but obviously would prefer to release in an appropriate fall. I weigh 165 lbs. Thanks!

• Baller
Make certain that the blind nuts on the bottom of the plate are not bent and causing the tape not to bind completely when you lock it down. Anything holding the two sides of tape apart will cause pre-release. I found this and mine stopped. I added just a touch more 250 than what came on the ski.

• Baller
After a bad first season (2010) of both sides of the 250 interlok regularly peeling off my mid-ride (warm Texas water?) causing several pre-releases and minor injuries, I switched it out for 400 on both sides. Don't tell Dave. Decided I don't want it releasing at all. Since then in a couple of bad crashes, binding stayed on ski but I was not injured. Switched to this ski after breaking left talus in 3 places hitting a 4 ball using Animals. I know I need to experiment with less 400, but I really feel solid on the current setup. Only skiing at 15-22off 34mph - my setup would probably be a lot more risky for a shortline skier.

• Baller
@lathompson, I know this is like telling a friend they are dating the wrong person but I would really think twice about having a binding system that will not release when it needs to. Years ago I had a friend screw his binding directly to the ski with no release mechanism. Within a few ski rides of doing that, he ended up with a broken leg. I learned my own lesson too when I kept skiing with a serious injury. That turned into double surgery and a wrong site surgery. @LeonL, my quote would be "One ski ride is not worth risking your health for the rest of your life!" @lathompson, get the right combination of interlock so your binding will release when it should.

• Baller

Thanks for all the input everyone. The blind nuts on the bottom of the plate are flush and don't seem to be preventing the interlock from connecting - however, it's impossible to see the central interlock. I can only see that it connects around the perimeter of the plate. I impacted the central area through the boots and assume that it connected.

Boody, have you ever released with the strip of 400 the length of the plate? Anyone else using 400 still getting appropriate releases with more than 3 inches?

• Baller
I know Terry Winter is using a lot of tape, not sure if it is 400, but saw him release at a tournament couple of weeks ago in Sacramento. Chatting with him prior to the fall, I'd say his theory was more tape is better, then when it needed to, it still released.

I think a pre-release is potentially more hazardous than a non-release. I use 2 strips of 400 and 2 strips of 250 on the plate, and 4 strips of 250 on the ski. The believe system is flawed, however I am comfortable using it. I usually do not take hard falls and I let go of the handle if I anticipate an uncontrolled crash.

• Baller

Return Powershell!! You will be a crash test dummy until you have enought tape to keep binding on ski. When you get that figured out then you my have put to much on and it will not release when you need it to. Every time it releases the dual loc loses strength. When you put plate to ski you don't know if its together unless you ski.

Result achellies tendon tear...

I've never had a pre release but have seen a few. After examining the ski/binding there is usually a cause. The above are all very relavant. I've noticed something else that no one has mentioned that I have seen a fair amount. Everytime you release, a few of the little mushroom heads break off. After a few releases they build up between the remaining, preventing those ones from interlocking. I use a toothbrush, not the one I use each morning, to clear all the broken off heads out prior to putting the plate back on the ski.

Can you feel where it is pre-releasing? Are you going out the front? Or, when you get on the tail? Edge change? That will determine where to put the 400. I use two 6" strips of 400 on the tail and two 4" strips along the sides. 400 probably won't do much on the front unless you are somehow getting way on the tail and the front is coming up.

Clear was very inconsistent for me. I moved to SJ3540 and SJ3541 and have had no issues.

• Baller
I have been using 400 to 250 for many years, with several releases, and never had a problem. I put two strips of 400 on the outside of the bindings, with two strips of 250 on the inside...On the ski I use four vertical strips of 250....Has worked really well for years....250 to 250 works itself loose, and I had a couple of pre-releases using that combo...Never again.

• Baller

Thanks to everyone who responded. I finally chose to use two 6 inch strips of 400 on each side of the plate, one at the front and one at the back. The rest of the plate and ski are covered with clear 250. I have not prereleased since, and I appropriately released once. This seems to work well for me. I really like the feel of the Powershells and am glad it is working for me now.

I would reiterate Klindy's comment to remove the dual lock under the nuts. Also, I have found that a wooden dowel and rubber mallet are useful to fully engage the 250 and 400.

In response to clemsondave, the prerelease issues happened at varied times. Once I was too far on the tail, but the other times I felt like I was in a good position.

• Baller

@rlw agree with not having any Velcro under the nuts. I also use another trick D Miller taught me and have a small scrap piece of velcro stuck to the bottom of each T-nut. If I ever want to take my boots off the plate while it is attached to the ski the nuts won't fall into the slot and make it a pain to get them back in when remounting the boots. This also aids my new found policy to never hit any ski with a hammer again. I can lock the plate onto the ski with only my hands this way then I mount my boots to the plate. Doing this though you can't have any Velcro under the nuts obviously because you wouldn't be able to move them.

I run one strip of 400 down each side if the plate which mounts to 250 on the ski. Then only about a total of 8" of 200 Extra in the front. Trying to use less and less. The less you can get away with in the tail the better in my opinion. That's not the release that's hurts usually and the end you want it to come up from easy in the OTF fall.