US Gear's 50/50 Rope

Garn

• Baller

I'm on Gordan Rathbun Ski Paradise's email list. In his last post he talked about a new rope that he had US Gear make up for him. He calls it the 50/50 rope. He describes it as having a non-stretch rope, I assume like a wakeboard rope, on the inside of 50% of the rope. I'll just copy what he says in his email:

I noticed when I was skiing long line and imitating my guests in the slalom course at a slow speed, I found it difficult to stay down at the wakes. I noticed too much stretch in the ski line. There was a bungee effect. When the rope gets long, it has to rebound. It does that very close to the wake, making it harder for guests to stay down through the wakes. I therefore asked Randy at U.S. Gear if he could come up with a rope that had some non stretch rope on the inside of 50% of the rope. This is the part from 32 off to the end of the rope (but not the handle end). This gives beginning skiers a rope that stretches about half of other ropes and and helps them ski better in a slalom course or open water skiing.

I was wondering what all of you think of this and if anyone has tried one?

Thanks,

Garn

• Baller
I'm skiing into -35 so this 50/50 idea is perfect for my level of skiing. I've just recently started skiing in tournaments so I'm wondering, if I practice with a 50/50 rope, can I use it at any tournament, or do I have to use the host's ropes ... with a bungee affect that I wouldn't be used to?

• Administrators

@SkiJay

No you have it wrong. The 50/50 is for the 15 off skier not the 35 off skier. Get the US Gear standard rope and you will be fine at tounaments.

• Baller
@Horton -35 is my best pass, not my opening pass. I've sucked at my openers so badly that I've taken to practicing tournament sets daily starting at -15. Frankly, I'm not enjoying anything about -15, including how elastic it feels. Getting the same feel out of the rope at -15 as at -32 appeals to me. But, I don't want to miss another opener because I got used to -15 or -22 on a 50/50 rope, then got handed a nearly-new standard rope at a tournament. I'm missing openeners just fine without yet another variable. So the question was, can I use my own 50/50 rope in any tournament I may attend? If not, no big deal, I'll just continue practicing tournament sets on a standard rope.

• Supporting Member

Personally I kinda hope this eventually becomes the standard. I think ideally the stretch would be about the same at all rope lengths, which can only happen if the part that is sitting on the floor of the boat has near zero stretch.

I even find that -22, which I do every so often for strategic reasons, is awfully springy.

• Baller
Just ordered one. LOVE the concept. Once I started getting a taste of -22 I've thought it would be great to fabricate a -15 section out of something like coated steel cable to get that same feeling at -15. This rope concept takes that several steps further! Can't wait until this rope arrives. Thank you so much for the heads up on this.

@jhughes - I'm anxious to hear your thoughts as I'm sure other 15 off'ers would be as well. I don't have any immediate plans to compete so the rope being different than "standard" doesn't bother me. I've spent way too much on this sport as is though so if I can manage to hold off buying one until you can test yours it'd be great to know how much this will help at the longer lines or not. I'm sure the rope is pretty low on the list of things causing me to miss passes but hey, every little thing helps I guess.

Brenda here with In Tow. Based upon Gordan's slalom instruction expertise, I view the spectra rope as being a good training tool for 15', 22', & 28'. So, I offer spectra sections that can be attached to your slalom mainline to replace the polypropylene sections. This is much the same slalom training mindset as my mid loops; it's all about getting from one line length to the next! Spectra rope, with its zero stretch characteristic, is not conducive for short line skiers.