Very Odd Problem

Justin_C

• Baller

So this morning we went out and opened the engine compartment only to find a pool of motor oil. We eventually isolated it to the oil pan at the bottom of the engine. There is a bolt that comes up through the hull from the rear-most tracking fin that is so close to the oil pan that you would be hard pressed to fit a piece of paper between the two, if they aren't touching. My best guess is that over time the oil pan has rusted (boat is a '97) and then in rough water the bolt finally punctured through it. It's not a huge hole, just dripping but I cannot figure out why they (MB Sports with PCM GT-40) would put the oil pan so close to those bolts. We have a plan to fix it (in theory) but I was just wondering if anyone has heard of, and/or experienced this?

Thanks

• Baller
It may not have been so close when it was built. Adjustable mounts have rubber insulators so the weight of the engine pushing down and water pushing up on hull may have caused the distance to shrink over time. Check your alignment and if there is room to go up do that and if you lift the engine to replace or repair the pan trim the bolt if there is any excess.

If you have it off. Punch it in a bit further and have someone weld the hole. That way with the dent you will maintain clearance. Can you easily replace the bolt with one 1/2 shorter?

I doubt that they made a different oil pan for those. probably look at a ford F-150 or mustang for an oil pan. One of them will fit for sure. clearance would be your only issue. You can find one at any bone yard.