First impressions and notes about the Nano One

Horton

• Administrators

First of all. Yes I matched my Practice PB the first set out. I have been stung by the honeymoon effect before so i need to ride the ski more than once before I rave too much. Lets just say the first date went really well.

In the factory, I saw some of the brand names of the raw materials he is using and it is the good stuff. I saw a little of the ski layup process and it looks slow and meticulous. I did not get to see a ski built from start of finish but saw enough to be impressed.

The look of the ski. There are some rumblings here on BOS about the look of the Nano One. Here is the deal. The white skis we have seen for the last year or so have a layer in then to make them white and it weighs a few oz. Dave is a little fanatical about weight so he wanted to get it out of the ski. Besides that I think what everyone sees and does not like is the look of unidirectional fiber. It is not "pretty" like fabric carbon fiber. From a structural point of view it is the real stuff. To me it shows lack of compromise. Do you really want comprise in your $2000 ski? really?

• Baller
For me a couple of oz,s is not gonna matter, how much does one of those plates weigh ? and I would be surprised if it affected the performance that much, but hey I do not design and build water skis, I just would prefer something, that looked the business as well, especially for 2k, so when I receive mine I am not that sure I am going to be that happy with it. I am not into the distressed look ! if I want a distressed look I would have brought a Stevie Ray Vaughn Replica Guitar. Sorry just my point of view.

• Baller_
Wasn't this one of the reasons T Whisperer was hired by Goode. Maybe he will bring some decent graphics to the mix. Havent seen one in person but not a lot of "hurray" what a great looking ski. Seems like Connelly Radar and HO have computer graphics departments. Sorry D3. Although if it gave me a full extra pass it could be baby poop green for all I care.

@ Stevie Boy

The graphics that your guys are looking at (bitching about) are not defects or blemishes. You are looking at pure NANO Carbon Fiber. It is how Goode intentionally designed the NANO ONE to look. It was Nick Parsons who suggested to Dave Goode to remove the two opaque acrylic layer from the top and bottom of the NANO ONE that in past models would hide the carbon from being seen. Nick thought it would be really cool to see the raw carbon after shopping for a high end road racing bike ($9,000.00+) which looks just like the NANO ONE, carbon waves and all. The carbon waves, wrinkles and bunches help make for an interesting look and do not take away from performance. There is actually performance benefit from the removal of the acrylic layers too as the ski is now 1/4 pound lighter. As Confucius says..... Better a diamond with a perceived flaw than a pebble without. Just FYI, Try the ski before you send it back, it seems to really be working for a lot of people, I wish he would have just let a few of us test it for a year or so before releasing it to the public, i believe it is that GOODE

• Baller

@Chad Scott it,s not bitching, it,s a consumers point of view, all of which differ, most companies, say the likes of APPLE being one, realise how important Aesthetics can be to some customers, thats why they spend loadsa dosh on design, how the product looks and feels.

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder and a Push Bike is not a Water Ski

• Supporting Member

No two skis have ever been identical. Just b/c you can see more now doesn't mean anything.

An outer decorative coating wont provide any protection against breakage. Think paint. What WILL help is a material that can take waaay more flex cycles, which is exactly what nano tube resin does vs carbon fiber resin. I am initially optimistic that these skis will last a long long time. Time will tell...

• Administrators
Let me say this again. Removing the white layer was about improving performace. Now you can sort of see what the skis looked like on the inside all along. There is still a semi clear graphic layer that hides a lot of the raw carbon. I would like to see what the ski would look like without that layer. I bet it would look awesome in the sunlight.

• Administrators

I tried 38 4 times in Utah. I ran it 3 times. 3 out of 4 is crazy for me. I am calm on outside and giggling like a school girl on inside.

Now i have to go home and figure out how to review it. "It Rocks" is not a review. When i get to water i know and drivers i know i will understand it better.

• Administrators
I have not skied the other Goodes much at all but this is a different approach all the way around. I can not get technical from my phone in an airport. Gimmie a few days to get home and recover.

• Administrators

@Stevie Boy

why on Ski-It-Again? because some skiers can afford to buy every possible skis and sell all but one. There is no super magic ski. N1 (is that what we will call it?) is pretty bitch'n but 100% of skiers will never agree on one ski.

• Supporting Member

I like "N1," although I'm also tempted to called it The One.

Also, @Stevie Boy, $2k is a huge price. I basically had to see it blow away my old ski to keep it, and so far it appears on track to do that. But it's easy to believe that somebody thought it was "good, but not $2k good" and so put it back up for sale.

@Chef23 I've skied almost exclusively on Goodes: 9100, 9400, 9600, and 9900sl, with a (wrong sized) Fischer thrown in there one year. The N1 is pretty different from the other Goodes. My 9100 got me a personal best on the first day, but the feeling was "insanely fast and slightly out of control." That basically continued as Goode's DNA -- until now. The N1 is still fast, but it actually feels slower because it tracks so unbelievably well. I feel like I just bolted on the one thing I liked about that Fischer (its stability and tracking, especially off-side), with everything I liked about my Goodes.

I am already curious how things are going to settle after everyone's "honeymoon" ends. Is this thing really a game-changer in terms of buoy count, or does it just feel amazing?

• Administrators

I have an explanation of "One Size Fits Most".

I sent it to Dave to make sure I am not totally crazy. I will post when I hear back.

• Baller
$2k for a new ski isn't in the budget this year. Just plunked down for two slalom tricks (one for my oldest son and one for my daughter) plus bindings along with a new Razor for my son and new bindings for my wife. I think my ski equipment budget is shot for the year.

• Baller_

I apparently don't fit the one size fits all. At 190 lbs, the ski worked great in the course as long as I did most things right, but "felt small". Yes, I could ride it and do well, but it didn't leave me as much margin for error as I like. The deep water starts were way too much work. (yes, I'm getting old).

By all other measures, the ski does many things exceptionally well.

Unfortunately for my checkbook, my daughter at 105 lbs loves it.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators

@DW

From what Bruce said it does not feel right to him. In the end that is the key. Just because it does not does not work for one skier....

• Baller_

DW, Yes I was on the short one. I don't buy the "designed around Nick P." He may have ridden it and liked it, but there were a bunch of people on the prototype. 90% were between 140 and 180 lbs.

The main thing I look for in a ski is consistency. The short nano1 did not improve my consistency over my current ski (67.5" A2), and I felt it would not be as forgiving in rough water.

I have very long been a believer in "if your on the edge for size, go bigger". Obviously there are some heavier people doing great on the short ski.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding