NANO ONE review first day at home.

Horton

• Administrators

Before I start talking about the ski I need to give a little perspective. For the last few years my average tournament score was 4 @ 38. I would run 38 5 or 10 times per year. This year I ran it a 5 or so times in practice and once in a tournament. It is still a rare occurrence until last weekend.

Last weekend I ran 38 3 out of 4 tries in Utah on the NANO ONE. This was astounding.

Today I rode the ski for the first time at home on the water I know and with my normal drivers.

With 30 degree warmer water the ski is a little different. It may require an adjustment. It took me 3 tries to run 38. That is still freaking good compared to normal but not as good as last weekend. Last weekend width was never an issue but today I struggled to get wide for 1 ball at 38. Perhaps this is more the skier than the ski but is still noteworthy. What is interesting is with the 38 I did run tonight, once I got wide at one ball, I crushed the pass.

I assume the width thing will work itself out. Maybe a binding movement or wing adjustment. What is confidence inspiring is the turns. I feel like as long as I can get wide of the ball the ski will always change directions for me.

I crossed out some text because none of this was true a few days later.

• Gold Member

I went to 28 5/8" this morning, and I think I like it a lot. However, that really had more to do with compensating for the off-side damage caused by moving my rear boot forward (which was done to fix my onside). I didn't notice any change in width as a result.

Still, it seems like a lot of folks are liking 28 5/8" or even 28 1/2", so going back is worth an experiment.

It sounds absurd, but you probably should at least quickly try more wing. I can't explain why, but I'm getting much better carry-out at 9 than I did at 7 (which was my standard on all previous Goodes). And Dave suggested that this ski often needs adjustments that are opposite of the standard effect, and that many skiers were using a degree more on it than on other skis.

Btw, I've run -38 fives times in my entire life, so that one's even a bigger deal for me than Horton or Scot. It sure feels like it's gonna start falling left and right, but it hasn't actually happened yet. And there's no points for feeling easy!!

• Gold Member

The other thing on the width is: We may all have to learn to hold on even longer with this ski, because it can turn from pretty much anything coming in. In other words, getting more width may be partly a change of style, since there's much less worry of the "too wide" scenario where the ski stalls out at the finish of the turn.

A couple of times at -38 I've gotten "stuck" in my pull position, and pulled way longer than I meant to. On any previous ski I've owned, I would have been done right there. With the N1, I was often able to get another buoy or two.

• Administrators
I really think the design logic is different. I will never call a ski the best day ever but I'm very impressed

• Gold Member

My thoughts exactly.

Eventually I plan to write up a "proper" review as opposed to the spew in my "diary." But first I gotta get the ski dialed in, and then I gotta pray for drought to get rid of the nasty backwash!

I will say that Dave has been super-helpful to me in getting set up. I don't know if it's because I'm an early adopter, or because I'm so "famous" on BallOfSpray :), or if Dave is so pumped about this new ski that he's spending all his time helping all the buyers directly. But whatever the reason, I am NOT complaining!!

• Baller
You Guy,s put me straight here, would increased intensity behind the boat on the gates, give you more carry out, bearing in mind "speed is your friend" thinking Regina is obviously lighter than you guy,s but she manages to get the width, she does carry the handle all the way to the bouy line as well.

• Baller_
@Stevie boy If you break down a vid frame by frame you will see that she does not carry the handle to the buoy line. At 38/39 and into 41 the handle cannot reach the buoy line. I think that lots of skiers pull long past the wakes to try to achieve this and it is a big problem for most.

• Baller
Ok looking at Regina approx 5'5", lighter on the ski, as stated by somebody on one of the threads, we know she runs her Binding Forward of Factory and she achieves width, so now we have guy,s 5' 8" plus, heavier, not achieving width and trying to run with the binding back, the only thing I can put my finger on is softer knees to get the width, any thougths ?

• Baller_
She is just better then everyone else. I think width comes form the initial angle out of the ball at hook up than maintaining that until transition. Its all visual, Regina sees and reacts with better timing then all of us.

• Gold Member

Warning: I am no where NEAR good enough to comment on Regina's technique or setup.

But we all know that anybody who says that is about to do it anyhow! :) In many past videos of her that I've seen, she gets breif but huge tip rise at the end of the turns. It seems natural that she'd want to be further forward to help prevent that. And perhaps there is something about the N1 that "lets" her do that, whereas on other skis she'd lose something important if she moved forward??

In any case, it sure seems like 28 13/16" tends to be too far forward for us mortals. Much as pros in the past have sometimes used much deeper fins than an "ordinary" skier can get away with, a pattern seems to be emerging that "ordinary" skiers want to be back quite a bit from Regina's setting. I'm currently at 28 5/8" and am also hearing a lot of 28 1/2" from other early adopters.

• Administrators
I changed my gate a little today and the width thing is no longer an issue. If my previous comments made the the ski sound slow => that is wrong. I crushed an other 38 today. Honestly I have never skied at this level before. Not sure how the technical review is going to read but I am skiing up a strom working on it.

• Administrators
Yes. I am still at the exact settings Dave gave me at the factory and have no plans to tweak. Skiing the best of my life ... why would I change anything.

• Baller

@Horton, from what I know of this ski, it should work well for your style. You have good, upright form and you always carried plenty of speed into the ball at 38, almost too much at times causing you to miss it. It seems to me that this ski allows you to ski "fast" and will slow you down in the preturn and make a good turn. When I saw you miss 38, its was because you were just getting later and later. Do you agree? When I miss a pass, its because I turned too hard, or rotated my shoulder or broke at the waist, or just lose the good form. You tend to keep your good form no matter what.

The reason I mention this is because Kim is also a "fast" skier with leaned back, locked position behind the boat. She will sometimes struggle making a good turn but she is money behind the boat. This ski allows her to just concentrate on the pull, and the ski pretty much does the preturn and turn by itself. When Kim used to miss a pass, she was like you, just getting later and later.

I guess I do not share this form and tend to ride my front foot hard, sometimes letting my shoulders lead the turn. I need more time on the ski, but I struggled to keep it in front of me. But I took one set where all I thought about was keeping it in front of me the whole time and skied well.

Just some random thoughts.

• Administrators

@Boody

I think you are pretty much on target. I want to say the ski is less sensitive to skier errors at the ball than most skis. It does not erase all my bad habits but the feeling is that if I get wide for the next ball i am going to keep going.

• Baller
I couldn't find @Than Bogan's Nano 1 thread but I watched him run a sweet 38 off this morning. While any 38 off is sweet what was best about this one was that it wasn't perfect and Than just stayed patient and got to 6 ball and out the exit gates. It was the first full 38 I have witnessed on our lake. I think Than is going to be making these a lot more.

• Gold Member

I'll update my thread soon, but agree with everything @chef23 said.

Also totally random: there may only be 3 people who have ever *seen* a 38 run on lake cochituate. I bet @MikeT has run about 20 of em over the years, but not sure anyone was watching for any of those. I've run 5 here and my first 3 definitely didn't have observers. My coworker Stacey (fka Matt), you, and your son could be the only ones to witness the feat!