First Shortening

doonez

Hey every one. I think I might just do a little preparation here. I have been skiing since I was about 12 but only just started hitting the course February this year (aged 16 - surely I'm the youngest on here?). I got my first pass at 46km with no problems and since then have progressed quite rapidly considering there has been a winter in between then and now for me. (I have run 55km 3 times in the last 2 weeks) and my PB is 3 at 58km. Once I get the full pass at 58km naturally I am going to want to see the orange of 22off connected to that pylon! What are some of the things I need to do on my first taste of shortline? How do I tackle it? Do I need to do anything differently? Any thoughts? Thanks and I look forwards to some ideas :)

• Baller

Welcome to BOS @doonez! I think I was about your age when I found this slalom haven. There are a few of you young guys on here!

Don't over think 22 treat the pass exactly as you would at 15. You will feel a little more swing from the boat, which is a good thing. Start your pull out just a half a boat length later. You will learn to judge the pull out and turn in as you practice more and more. Always shorten the line when you run a pass for the first time to go for the new PB, but remember to go to the pass or even 2 passes back to work on your technique, which will really help you progress as the line gets shorter. It is hard for your body to learn while it is in survival mode during your hardest pass. Don't chase the buoys, learn how to ski them. Always take video 1. to see your progression and 2. don't be scared to post it in the forum there are some great skiers here who will help you get down lines much quicker than if you were doing it all alone. Other than that have some fun while doing it!

If you have not already check out the It is time for a new "Who Are You Guys" thread. Tell us a little about your self, skiing, home site ect.

• Baller
@doonez When i start at 55k I almost always shorten up to 58k/22 missing the 58k long line. Its a nice opt up. At first i would stick to the normal route, but soon you will prefer 22 to 15, as the whip is more present, and then its worth trying. I personally hate 58k long line. (Im 19 by the way). My advice for a new shortening although I'm not nearly as good as guys on here, is to go into it full of confidence, and don't back out. Many times I have entered the pass gently, and it puts you in a worse place. (first time i tried 28 I got 4 doing this).

• Baller

@doonez If you get around to ski tournaments the opting up from 55k/15off to 58k/22off is not a bad idea either, I did it when I was still skiing @22 and I know several skiers who actually thought 22off was easier than 15off @58k.

I reasoned that if conditions/or my mistakes made me miss the 22off pass I wouldn´t have made the 15off pass @58k either.

Thanks @DanE. I think I might just do that. I had never thought of doing it but now three different people have told me to try it - it must be a good idea! If I can run the 55k this evening or tomorrow I'll try cutting straight to -22

• Baller

I agree that some people don't like 15 off at 58k but it is only easier once you can ski shorter line lengths. Once you have a good body stack and create good angle out of the ball 22 off isn't much harder than 15 off but when you are progressing I believe that 15 is easier than 22.

As to when should you shorten the line the next time you run 58/15 shorten it to 58/22. I always like to try the next line length when I have made what had previously been my hardest pass. If you really struggle at the new line length then you should maybe slow the boat down or go back to 15 off and work on cleaning that up. I also like the idea of running 55/22 off as well in practice. Maybe go out one day and run 52/22, 55/22 then 58/22. My son who is younger and skis at a max of 55K really hated the wake at 52/22 and couldn't ski it nearly as well as he could ski 55/22.

The other thing I have my son do is mix in sets when he runs multiples of the hardest pass he can run the full pass. This past year it was 55/15 and we did a bunch of sets when he ran 3 full 55/15s before he would shorten to 22 off. This made his 55/15 much more consistent and the next tournament we went to he ran it all three rounds.