Power Shell Saved My Legs

Klundell

Finally got a hold of this video. 5 Ball @ 38 rope wraps around my ski then jerks tight, luckily the interlock released. Looks kind of smooth in the video but I felt a pretty good jerk even with the interlock coming off. Weird crash. Never mind my slack turn at 4 and horrible edge change into 5 that caused the whole thing.

Yeah, I'd have to say that boat driver was pretty attentive....even in slow motion he was flipping around pretty quickly. haha But the last time I felt the rope get jerked like that after a crash my friend was getting a cast on her wrist but she wasn't skiing at 38 off 36 mph. So I was a little concerned.

• Baller

@richarddoane. I was going to ask exactly that. Being new, I need to develop good habits. My first hard learned lesson is to back out if you don't have good position. My driver tried to save me, but I went OTF at the second wake, and got a sprain bad enough to end my season because I tried to pull when I didn't' have good position.

Watching this, I thought, exactly what you said, but I don't know if there's a good reason not to.

• Baller

Wileycoyote a big hazard of letting go with slack is the risk of your hand going through the handle. And tossing or throwing a handle can make it bounce off the water.

There have been a number of arm amputations and some deaths from going into the handle. Hence the various handle guard products.

I try to throw the handle away when I can. There is no risk of my hand going through the handle in this situation because I through it away. However if do a body slide or handle dip crash I hang on as long as possible and let the boat take it away. I've never had a handle wrap around a ski like that... The throwing of the handle definitely caused it but I don't think I'm going to change because hand going through the handle is still the biggest risk.