Who is the most fun/interesting person you ever taught to ski?

XR6Hurricane

• Baller
I'll go first...our minister. The fact that I'm a skier came up in conversation and he said he'd never done it but had always been curious about trying it. So we took him out one weekday evening and got him up within about half a dozen tries. As I recall he stayed up for a few hundred feet and he seemed pretty satisfied with that result.

• Baller
I had a lake day for my daughter's soccer team and families. Most of the girls had never tubed let alone ski. That was a fun day. They were probably 15-16-years old, so not afraid to try and for sure didn't want to be the only one NOT to learn or try something. We had a bonfire, grills going, people fishing, swimming, and just hanging out.

A show ski club that I am on has a day each year where we invite people with injuries or disabilities to our show site to learn how to ski. We use a modified sit ski which allows them to ski even if they can't stand or don't have the ability to grip the handle with their hands. You can tell that they are very excited from the look on their face when they ski back to the beach. It is a very rewarding experience.

• Baller

@OB, yah, fun and interesting to see kids with no shot at doing something like this get it done and in some cases not letting their handicap hold them back.

On another note, met Rodman in a leather shop in Chicago. My mom told him what he should buy.

• Baller
@FrankS - no, there's no show teams close to me and the time commitment would be difficult because I work an hour away. Wonder Lake is the closest team and you have to live there to be on that team. The Aquanuts are the next closest but they are about an 1 hr 40 min from work, so practice and Wednesday shows would be impossible.

• Baller

Victoria Secret model Heather Marks:

Heather%20Marks.jpg

My youngest daughter was best friends in high school with Heather Marks, so we took her houseboating and waterskiing at Shuswap Lake one summer. Everything was going fine until she decided a little tubing action looked fun. Of course she kneed herself in the face so hard she gave herself a massive shiner with only three days to go before a $200,000 photo shoot in Seattle. I'm thinking lawsuit, like I just broke a surgeons fingers, but noooooo ... they just featured her shiner in the photo piece cause her specialty is kind of a dark, oh poor me, look. Phew!!!

I never got a picture of her on skis which is really too bad cause it was funny--nothing but arms and legs all over the place. All I have is this "before" picture:

Heather%20Marks%202.jpg

... and this "during" picture:

Heather%20Marks%203.jpg

Two Japanese fishing guests, staying with our lakes owner.

English was about zero, or a bit less. So we had a morning full of charades,

bush sigh language and gestures.

Very enthusastic guys, friendly & polite.

Both managed to get up on doubles & do a couple of laps of the lake.

They were totally stoked & very greatful.

Ahh, and whe took plenty of photos.