A3 2013

Gloersen

• Baller

First two sets on the 67” A3. Kept it at 28@34. 54A/58W; a tad nippy for me.

Out of the box the fin was 2.497/6.855/.744, set it to “stock” at 2.510/6.845/.730/w8; FB 29.5

Wasted the first set; way too much offside.

2nd set 2.508/6.836/.740/w8, FB 29.375; it rocked! A bit too much; .735 next set.

It seems quite a departure from the A1 and with better turning characteristics than the A2.

No point in attempting to describe its attributes until more rides at shorter lines, but I suspect this ski will be very popular.

A3_2013a.jpg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson...it's a nice ski, carries speed well through the turn, pretty stable and predictable, much better than the A2 by a long shot, I was 100% sold on using it as my ride this year I liked it that much, but I hopped on a 67" Endo and the A3 went back in the box, the Endo is incredible, unbelievably wide and early at every bouy, turns automatically and little effort required...

• Baller_

@MShaw200. Amazing skiing for this time of year. Does help its been 10 degrees above normal here in Central FL.

@Gloersen maybe you mentioned this on another thread but I gotta ask cause I missed it. WHAT HAPPENNED TO YOUR HEAD?? Love that lake behind your head. Set a PB on it this past Oct tourny.

• Baller

@Gloersen: Only three sets so far, but I Love this thing...On my S2, I felt I pushed it as far as I could. The A3 is without limits...All your previous comments were right on...This ski LOVES aggression.

My factory setup was similar to yours. Decided to forget that and used my best S2 settings which had the same fin...6.750 Jaws, 6.820 tips, 2.500, .750 9 degrees for cold water.

Ski rocked from the start. Really tight turns with great acceleration, wide and early. It tends to ride tip high though..Only problem I had was it did not like to be forced into a turn if running late at all...Totally my fault for adding a slight rotation at the end of the turn....Subconscious sees the buoy and says "TURN NOW." In the Lake for sure....Did that a couple of times and learned my lesson.....If I am countered at the apex, slightly free of the boat, with a tight line, and slide the hip to the handle, the turn is unreal. Key is Patience not Panic....Slight Spike for acceleration and cast out off the centerline, and you are golden.

For my third set today I added some tip, 6.830....Cured any tendency to overturn, but felt a little to stable...Plan to split the difference for the next set at 6.825 and 8 degrees wing. Hope to be in the zone to capture back some of the quickness, but not easily overturning.

Let me know how your doing on yours, and thanks for all your previous info...It was really helpful.......Ballers helping Ballers.....ED

I tried it and I am not so sure. I come from an A2 which worked great for me, but the A3? Don't know. Nothing in particular against it, just comes short of the expectation created by the hype.

I would like to see what others think. Haven't tried the nano one, but have tried the nano mid without much success either. It's also the beginning of the season so it's difficult to tell if it is you or the ski.

@Dirt:

I don't mind sharing them, sorry it took me so long. The tail rocker on my A3 is a little flatter then normal. Not sure what, if any, bearings that would have on the settings. I still don't think they are 100% where I want them to be. But this is where I am for now.

Length is 6.8455

Depth is 2.487

DFT is .7665 (with slot calipers)

and I'm running 8.5 on the wing.

Good luck, hope these help. Let me know how they work out.

• Baller
Kudo's to Greg Badal for helping me get set up. Bought one from him today. Been off the water for 4 to 5 years. No reason good enough just glad I have made the decision to get back and learn what I can and hope to share good times.

• Baller
cool...thanks Matt. ditto KTM and will record the info. Badal set up a softer flex 67 for me. I do not know the flex numbers yet but can post when the ski arrives if anyone is interested. He also set up the fin for me and I will not mess with it until someone super savvy can see how I ski after several sets in this cold PNW water. Have baggy will ski :) Been a long time for this ol' guy but stoked to get back on the water even at slower speeds and much longer line.

Hi guys, new here.

I am looking at the A3 to replace my Monza (I am assuming the technology has advanced in 6 years). I was encouraged by the positive reviews until I read that a few of you passed on the A3. Anymore feedback out there on the A3? I really don't have the option to demo the different skis, so your reviews help a lot.

PB...32 off @34mph

Thanks Much!

• Baller
Skied on the A3 the last couple of months and found it to be the Best HO has ever produced. Totally blew away my A2 and S2 from last year..Holds crazy cross course angle and can really turn. Very responsive to tuning..Once you find the sweet spot it rocks.

• Baller
@Gloersen or anybody else riding an A3. Everything you wrote about this ski seems spot on. This ski has an onside that is so much better than what I have had that it is a keeper for that alone. I am still in neoprene, not quite in ski shape and cannot completely trust what I feel. However, I have made some adjustments to get more tip after the finish and through the wakes offside. As you said, counter intuitively, moving the fin forward seemed to help the offside more than anything. I moved the fin back some and it took ski out of the water offside (go figure). Been skiing with DFT .760-775. Going forward requires me to go deeper to tame that onside and deep feels kinda stuck to me. I have not tried going back to .730. Seems like initially, you had some success in that area. Ed Johnson rode it back (.750) I assume that somebody associated with HO liked the stock settings. Is back that far worth burning a set or two to try? Thanks.

• Baller
@ktm300 - ultimately the .775 range seemed best. Have you tried the Matt Brown suggested settings? (.775/2.515/6.850). Maybe someone else can chime in on what KLP might be leaning towards, especially if you're considering going back to .730. If so I might try .730/6.860-6.865/2.490-2.495. IMHO it's always worth making a big fin change to see if it seems better, so long as you don't strip the block set screws by doing so too often!

• Baller
So far, the Matt Brown #'s are the winners. Tried em when my body was not capable of the aggression they delivered. Have more sets under my belt now and will try them again tonight and see if my body can keep up. That onside...wow. If I can keep my hips up and inside the turn better, I think the offside may light up too. I am just ending up on the tail too much at the finish. Thanks for your input

• Baller

Looked up my notes to see the final settings I had on the 68" A3...6.824 Tips... 2.505...and .750 with 8 degrees of wing.

While I run my Mapple at .780, the A3 worked well at .750 but the sensitive area I found was length....At 6.820 it had a tendency to easily overturn...Reset to 6.830 and it was a little hesitant..Split the difference at 6.824 and it was perfect.