Malibu TXI AWSA approved props

greghayes

• Baller

The way I read the latest AWSA towboat evaluations, the Malibu TXI is approved for the 5.7 liter engine with the Acme 525 prop and with the 6 liter engine and the 515 prop.

Can you mix and match props in tournaments? And any other experience with different prop/engine setups would be appreciated.

• Baller
@greghayes, promo TXI's that are at high altitude (over 5,000 feet) with the 6.0 engine come with the 11.5" prop. Some short setup sites at high altitude even use the 11" prop. At lower altitude and the 6.0, you could easily go to the 12" prop. You might notice a little hull shot but overall it would lover your rpm's. I would definitely give it a try with your boat, lake and altitude. It never hurts to have a spare prop on hand anyway. Maybe there are some ballers that can give some suggestions on the best place to order Acme props. You will also need a prop puller and spare cotter pins, if you don't already have them.

• Baller

While its not a huge difference, I'd like to set my boat up as close to tournament condition as I can - so I am practicing as closely to tourneys as possible. I have a 515 in the garage and will be trying it out as soon as I get the boat back in the water.

I know there are closet Malibu experts on this board - don't be ashamed to comment on a thread other than a Nautique post (as a former Nautique owner I can attest). Thanks all.

I have been prop testing. I am at about 5000' elevation. 2017 txi 6L.

Acme 515-- slow sluggish out of hole and lags around island at wot.

Acme 1231-- good hole shot, rpms way too high.

Just tried OJ 330. Best prop so far.

I am testing acme 653 and 525 this weekend.

• Baller
I have the 525 on my Sunsetter LXI and its turning approx 200 rpm higher than speed at slalom speeds. I'm at 1000'. 34.2 is about 3600 rpm. Had considered a 515 but this prop puts me in my rpm range at WOT. Getting 5200-5500 depending on temp and load. I have an 5.7 LS1 engine but prob comparable to 6L.

• Baller_
@Conor : I assume you have not tried the 525 yet based on no report. I would think that on has a chance, simply a 653 with more cup. From your notes, am I correct in assuming you place a high priority on hole shot? If that and might like fewer RPM's at the top end, perhaps you could give a 4 blade a shot, the 579 might be an interesting test.

• Baller
For the 6L engine at sea level - Acme 515 is the way to go. This is based on the last 4 seasons with this setup. And this is the same prop that is being used on the new Malibu 6L boats coming from the factory.

I'm getting shipped the 525 next. I'll test next weekend. I have tried an oj 330 and was told the acme 525 is very similar. 653 is better than oj 330 unless some more engine break in brings more horse power. I have 36 hrs on her now.

More prop testing. I have still not got the prop right. Acme 653 has been the best so far but still getting complaints about hole shot power compared to any other boat on the lake. I could pull the arms off someone with my previous boat with a smaller engine(2011 prostar 5.7 liter.) I called OJ PROPS and Eric said he has been working with malibu directly and have just cut some new props designed for new txi. I hope this solves the problem of my new $$$$$$$$ boat and its poor power issues. Might not have upgraded had I known this new boat would struggle to pull up my 135lb wife.

• Baller

@Conor +1 @Mitzysman - I'd have that boat tuned up. With the 6L motor that sounds like it must be more than a prop issue.

My TXI was a high-altitude promo 6L - came with the 525 prop and pulled many tournaments in Utah (apparently with no complaints) and still pulling strong at low altitude with the 515 prop.

So.... according to engine specs of 6 liter monsoon on my 2017 txi. Max recommended rpm is 5500 @ WOT. Acme 653 13x11.5—WOT=5200rpm @42mph (best so far)

New OJ ski pro 13x11–WOT=4870 @41mph

I’ll test 525 again tomorrow @greghayes

@""Alberto Soares" I’m thinking that will,be my next try

Update- new OJ 337 13x10 prop is best so far on my 2017 txi 6L at 4500-5000’ elevation.

WOT RPMS-5400

34mph rpms-4600

Top speed 39.5mph

Hole shot improved

Holding speed around turn island improved

Skiers like it.

Drivers like it.

• Baller
I don't know prop but I drove a 2018 TXI promo at a tournament June 16. It is very slow accelerating. On a good setup distance lake it struggles to get to 36 by the greens with a 180 lb (guess) skier. Everyone who drove or skied it noticed. They say it has the correct prop and proper software. Something is wrong however.

• Baller_
@Conor : as a reference, 4500' elevation results in ~85% power compared to sea level. It seems as though you are struggling more than you should to hit a good combination. Have you verified the engine is running properly - ignition timing (is it possible timing is being pulled out due to knock sensor, low octane fuel?), engine air intake clear & filter not blocked?

My 18TXi, 6L, with the 515 (at about 500ft above sea level) gets similar comments from my buddies - little slow out of the hole (but tolerable), but we have a short setup and getting to 34 before the gates is hard.

Based on this thread, thinking of testing either a 525 or the OJ 337 @Conor mentions above. Leaning towards the 525, but looking for input. Seems like our elevations are significantly different, maybe making the 337 too much.

Also, are the stock props (515/525) all Acme props, or someone else’s?

And - @Conor, you mentioned earlier OJ was cutting a TXi specific prop, is that the 337?

Thank!

@OscawanaSkier I would suggest the 525 or the 337. I am at 4000’ and every skier on my lake likes the OJ337 best for skiability. It is a little better hole shot than 525 but has a softer feel to it when boat is gassing in the course.

After trying numerous props, I’ve found that 3700/3800 rpms at 34.2mph is best for a solid feeling pull that isn’t too firm on the 6L 17/18

TXI