Skiing With a 15 Month Old

Klundell

Last year my wife and I had our first baby. She was just a couple months old when the season started and it didn't slow us down at all. She came to the lake even if it was just my wife and I. We could put her in the car seat wedge it between the seats and go she loved the boat and would sleep "like a baby." Looking ahead to next season I don't see it being that easy because she is on the move. What advice can you give me for skiing next season with a 15 month old. Can we attach the bigger car seat to the boat somehow? Or are we just going to have to have at least 3 people with us every time we ski?

• Baller

Just make her apart of it and make her understand. It's just another life lesson. My wife and I never put stuff away or moved stuff off our coffee tables etc when our daughter was growing up. We simply taight her that she couldn't touch.

Your little one will learn to sit while someone is skiing or behind the boat if she is taught that. However when the boat is stationary or not moving - let her move too!

Keep her involved you will be glad you did!

• Baller_

I strapped a Car seat to the boats passenger seat like a car. Screwed a seat belt under the boat seat and ran it up through the seat cushion and attached the car seat as normal. My daughter was just about that age (May birthday). They are totally capable of following simple directions. We even had her listening for and yelling 'Hit it..." when the skier said it. The car seat was tilted back so she wouldn't slip down/out and the rest of the baby seat is built for secured seating. We did NOT buckle her into the baby seat. Just like in the car, she sat, watched skiers, talked, snacked and fell asleep at times. Funny thing was as she got older, she didn't want the car seat removed. She liked that it sat her up nice and high for a great view of the action. The car seat in our car was ditched do to age long before the one in the boat was ever removed. Totally remember wedging the car seat like that on the floor and watching her fall asleep as an infant. I do miss that.

Funny that now her friends (middle schoolers) come out to the lake and are "eyes wide open" excited about riding in the fast, turn on a dime boat. For her....no biggy.

• Baller

All three of mine started riding in my lap or my ski partners lap while driving. Seldom was it more than just the 2 of us. Once they graduated from "lap" driving they were plopped down in the loveseat right beside us. During pull ups we'd say "hold on" and they learned to brace for acceleration and all was good. Toddlers learn pretty quick to lean in the turns and brace when they hear a change in engine noise.

There was a bit of a learning curve w/#1 child who ended up hitting her head on the pylon once (might be why she isn't wild about skiing now). Ended up strapping a thick foam sleeve around the pylon to prevent too big a knot on the head for future mishaps (used foam from a trailer rear loader cover). Foam is still on the pylon even though the youngest is now 6.

All and all my kids never slowed me down even though most of the time it was just 2 of us skiing. Additionally, there are some pretty funny stories from those days which I'll never forget (stuff to embarrass them with later). Sounds like you're going to have an event filled ski season. Enjoy it!

BTW: always keep a floatation device on the child, even when on the dock. Each of mine had to be fished out of the lake more than once and if they didn't have a vest on it could have been scary.

• Baller_
Oh, I would add that if you secure the car seat to the boat seat, you'll want to have a thick rubber mat or something under it as it will ware on the vinyl and leave depressions. It's a blast having the little ones ride.

• Baller
15 moths old is a tough age. It's the age where they are now mobile and tend to not want to be held. However, I think a lot depends on the temperament of the child. My advice is happy kids will stay out longer. Alway have her wearing a flaotation device. Might want to have her wear the life vest around the house a bit before the season so she is used to it by summer. ALWAYS keep lots of snacks on hand: juice boxes, cherios, cheezits, whatever. Keep her warm and sunblocked, sunglasses, hat, etc. Have her help "drive" the boat and keep her involved as much as she is interested. In my mind, the sets still happened but they became more hectic and a bit more stressful. Take the time to tend to her needs and teach her between pulls because during pulls she will need to stay put. By the way, the advice on keeping them warm shaded and snacked has continued to work for way past baby/toddler age. Happy kids, happy sets.

• Baller_
@fu_man That is great advice.!! Pediatric therapy is my profession (20+yrs). My wife is an elementary guidance counselor (20+yrs). I will add this. At that age through 3 they are looking for attention. They determine boundaries this way. They will take positive attention or even negative at times as long as it is attention. So if a bigger deal is made (raised voice, bigger facial and body expressions) out of a negative behavior such as getting out of the seat by you getting upset, then that behavior may get repeated if that works for them. A bigger deal needs to be made out of what he/she is doing right/correct at the time it's being demonstrated and repeated often with bigger facial and body expressions. It needs to be specific praise not just "good job" more like "great job siting" then givm a high five or treat or something. The positive feedback they get needs to out way the negatives by a long shot. Hard to do because we tend to not mention or notice anything when they ARE behaving cause that's just expected. But they don't know that. Also chatting at the end of a run between the driver and the skier may end up being a no no.. The child my get bored/frustrated rather quickly with mom or dads attention being diverted in that way. Hopping out of the seat will get mom and dads attention back..not good. I would always talk to my daughter from the water after i dropped at the end of a pass before talking to the driver. Hard to man up for another pass when your engaging your child but much better then chasing him/her around the boat because they got bored. She learned quickly to ask to get out of the seat.....lots of positive feedback from us for that. Like @fu_man said, engage them in every aspect from telling the driver to "hit-it" to pulling the rope in at the end of a set. Lot's of specific praise goes a long long way. Time on the water can be just as fun, little more effort, different but easily managed.

• Baller
We have 2 kids that have been at the lake with us since they were born (1st kid in the boat at 5 days old). I agree with @fu_man, the kids have to have fun, which will make life easier on you and hopefully promote them participating once they are old enough. We started with a thin, comfortable life jacket (non coast guard approved speedo swim vest) that went on when we got to the lake and did not come off until we left (food stains and all, did not let them take it off because they did not want to put it back on). The goal of the vest was simply to keep them above water if they were to fall in and we could grab them out. My husband has done a great job of playing with the kids inbetween sets to keep them happy. Now that they are older (8 and 10), we can all ski a set, then have play time. When we had friends who could drive at the lake, we would take advantage of that , one of us skiing while the other played with the kids to limit the time they had sitting in the boat. Now we have to fight with them to get our ski time, as they are ski hogs =)). We have the greatest memories already of family time at the lake.

• Baller
@skihard - good advice! We have taken my 2.5 yr old in the boat whenever someone isn't available to watch her. It'll be a little more complicated this year with a 4 month old and a 2.5 year old. BUT - we will manage. I'm sure they will get used to it, and it will become a GREAT memory for them growing up. I know I remember going to the river and spending all day on it while I was growing up!

• Baller
Like @wish, we got a seat belt from a caddy in the junkyard and secured it such that we could strap in a car seat. When not in use(like now not for years) it resides under the seat cushion. Helped keep 'em in place for the hole shot and turns with a hand on the tum.

• Baller
@Wish - great advice. It has worked so far with potty training the 2.5 yr old. They love that praise. Just like everyone! Attention is what they need/crave when they are young. It is up to us to give them the right attention. Engaging them during the breaks at the end of a pass is a great way to keep them involved and make them feel like they are contributing. It sure is fun for us adults!

Both my boys were in the boat from birth. Think our key to success with them was probably all about the boundaries & discipline.

The boat can be a dangerous place. They had very strict guidlines. Sit down mean't sit down.

They were both included in activites, like pulling the rope in or un-zipping ski covers.

Both liked being responsible for these tasks when given to them.

Always had a balance of Positive comment with the firm guidlines, but never had to severely punish them for their mistakes. Mistakes are only to be corrected.

Never had to come down on them hard & now at 12 & 16 they (generally) do what they're told.

Never ceases to amaze me how some parents are able to ask their children to do things & then allow them to immediately do either the opposite, or exactly as they pleased.

Not doing them any favours.

@Wish, would love to have a chat with you on one of my pet dislikes, TMPR.....

(TOO MUCH positive reinforcement).

Cheers

Phil

PS. Still trying to resolve the issues of OTHER's children playing on the boat trailer when it's left in the water as a dock.

End Rant!

The vest is a must. If they don't sit still/ fall off they should sit on the floor. Helping drive once in a while is great, but they also need to be able to ride without being a distraction. I've found that if the adults are wearing a vest, the kids won't complain that they have too. (Also, the sheriff will generally not bother you, or even pay attention when you're doing something stupid.) The best thing we did to keep my daughter interested was find a decent set of combos and take her with me. Once we got up she could stand on the front of my skis, or by having my arms under her armpits to support her, she could drag her feet, or run on the surface. This kept her wanting to come back, and got her used to being behind the boat.

if it's close to nap time it won't take long for most 15 month olds to fall asleep on the boat. They usually stay pretty still on the floor once they fall asleep. My kids (3 boys) have never had a problem wearing a vest because as others have said they've done it since birth. It's always a pain in the ass when other kids come on the boat and don't want to wear it.

• Baller_
For the toddler stage, I used a belt from an old vest and screwed it in between the seat cushions for a seatbelt. I think it really helps when the kids are in the boat and get use to that being "normal". I've seen other kids who rarely ride in the boat and then have no desire to ski when they are the right age to start.13189296ba01c97f744dadd4d4b29a.bmp

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Our kids have used (still use for the 3 year old) a car seat. I created a simple latch system attachment that all of today's car seats can connect to. I used some thin cable and made loops that sit at the same point of the seat that they do in the car. I then threaded them through and attached them to the floor. (It works with a Mastercraft where the seat bottom stays put and the back lifts.) With the latch system you can snap in and out the car seat in seconds.

I second the comment about putting down a mat or thick towel to protect your vinyl, but on the other hand, I realized that you don't have to cinch the car seat down nearly as tightly as in a car. On a private slalom lake, you're not likely to be t-boned by another vehicle. The car seat is mainly to keep the kids from squirming and hurting themselves.

• Baller

I am going to go against the grain here a bit and say I would never strap my kid down on a boat. There is a reason there aren't seat belts on boats. Make sure the kids have a vest on at all times and have them sit. Take breaks so they can swim and be kids.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/7152816607_21a7d75fa3_z.jpg

• Baller_
@bmiller very good point and it does not take much to send a rope into a boat at all. 100% recommend a shock tube. Almost as much as a life jacket. I've see a rope loop over a drivers neck from a handle pop, get pulled tight and raise her out of the drivers seat. Rope burn to her neck was bad. Shock tube was stored under the passenger seat of their boat. Not good. Happened faster then the blink of an eye and never saw it coming. Was just an average lean by the skier and then pop. Wont let my 13yr old sit in a passengers seat without one on the line. I bring one with if traveling to site without one.

• Baller

@Klundell - I'll try to take a picture of what I rigged up when I get a chance. It's pretty simple, and when you remove it, nobody will ever know it was there.

I should also point out that in the pic of my son in his seat he isn't wearing his vest. He just wanted to sit in his seat at the dock. He wears the vest when we're under way.

@kmenard - I understand that concern, but I don't think it's an issue on the private ski lake. I think that could be a concern on open water where a drunk boater could hit you, but not on the pond.

@bmiller - I agree. We use a shock tube, and we just have a rule that you don't try to hang on and take a hit with the kids in the boat. I actually have the T-top that came with my ProStar, but it makes moving around the boat all but impossible. I did think about putting it on for when the kids are in the car seat, but so far, we've been ok with the rule and the shock tube.

@kpickett that would be super helpful! Thanks! This seems counter intuitive but I think the shorter the line the less likely it is to shoot a handle into the boat. Because you are higher on the boat at the hook up the rope gets shot across the lake instead of into the boat. The one place you have to worry about popping it into the boat is trying to hang onto a hit out the gates.

• Baller_
@Klundell dont think we want anyone reading the thread to get the impression that it may be ok (I'm sure not your intent..totally get that all good) to run without a shock tube at shoreline. The rope that went around the drivers neck as i discribed was 35, off mid course and the skier was in ok shape. It just happened. Most all the shots into a boat and over the boat that I've seen have been 28off and shorter. Again just putting tht out there so now one thinks it's even slightly ok to take that risk.

• Baller
as Kpicket said...it isn't just a boat 'tipping over'. I have never seen a boat hit an unmarked rock, nor have I seen a boater watching the tuber behind him rather than the boats in front of him hit someone...but it doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen. I have seen bilge pumps and water lines fail however.

Would definitely recommend the shock tube. We had a rope pop when I was about 7. It hit me in the forehead and threw me out of the boat. 14 stitches later and one hell of a headache later..... Took me a little while getting back into the boat after that.

• Baller

In our boat the seat belt we rigged strapped the car seat in, but we did not strap the small child into the car seat. They hung out in their "recliner" with life vest on. On a strong hole shot all it took was a hand on the tummy to keep them in the seat, and after that a watchful eye but pretty much hands off.

As they got bigger they were in vests on laps, and then sitting on their own only to bail out between skiers etc.