Info on old skis?

JohnCox

• Baller

A friend of mine came across these at an antique store, and I'm thinking about buying them for some wall art. Anyone have any clue about these? The logo on the top is Kimball Fiberglass (I think they were around in the 1950's). The square tail, lack of rear toe strap, and the flat wood fin make me think they may be old jump skis. Any clues? What should something like this cost?

They are just cool, I think.

• Baller_
I have a pair of yellow ones. The glass is that color all the way through. Also known as K-Glass. My understanding is they are the first mass produced fiberglass skis. Thin layer of fiberglass rapped around foam. They are super light. My entire family learned how to ski on those. Great for beginners as they do not float uncontrollably like modern conmbo skis. Easy for a newbie to relax in the water while waiting for the rope to tightn up. Made for light skiing. Could be snapped in half if ridden to aggressively. Water ski hall of fame could only find one red one to put up in the museum. That would be a great addition. The plad is super rare. Only worth what someone is willing to pay. I bid $1.50 :-)

• Baller

Have patience. The Museum is about to pack up in preparation for the Big Move to a new

location, in Auburndale, FL. Unlikely that they will want to take on anything right now.

But, in the future...maybe. Kimball was way ahead with their fiberglass skis, about a

decade before Saucier and EP.

• Baller

Kimball! I worked for them in the late 70s in Stockton. They bought the Ajax Lapoint Hexcel ski process. (They also had the old EP Comp1 molds.) My job was to make it so we could mass produce the ski. I failed. So Kimball switched to producing parts for BART (the Bay area 's mass transit) which made a lot higher profit. Did my incompetence kill Kimball skis?

Eric

• Baller

I skied on a pair identical to the ones in the first post this summer. Found them in a buddies garage at their several generations old lake house. As soon as I dug them out I knew I need to give them a ride.

I'd like to have a few of those for decorations around the house, but they have some sentimental value to the owners otherwise I'd buy them.

My grandfather Loren Belcher owed Kimball Fiberglass out of Stockton, CA. We made the first fiberglass water skis. We had a slalom concave paired water skis to make you ski like a pro. My whole garage is full of every ski we ever made. I have the only stock. But stopped business in the 80’s.

• Baller

@Melissakimball Excellent first post. Let me be the first to welcome you to BOS! I've never seen a pair of Kimballs here in Western Canada. Sea Gliders were the predominant brand around here. I definitely need to acquire a pair of Kimballs for my vintage ski collection that I have on display at my cabin which you can view most of in this thread

https://forum.ballofspray.com/discussion/20995/show-off-your-vintage-skis

It will be near impossible to find a pair locally though but I'll find a way. ;)