Camaro Blacktec Review

Horton

• Administrators

The Blacktec 2 suit from Camaro is the warmest and the most comfortable wetsuit that I have ever skied in. I was very surprised to find out that the Blacktec is not a replacement for the well-known "Modetec Titanium". Instead, it is actually a less expensive alternative. Visit Camaro.at

I asked Thomas Roiser of Camaro to shed some light on the technology behind the Blacktec. He told me the following information:

For the Blacktec, we "...started our development on this suit by developing a new material (we build the material ourselves from mother sheets as opposed to other manufacturers who buy standard material and then build it into a suit). We slice out of a very soft mother sheet of neoprene and leave the cell structure open instead of using a regular smooth skin material. This allows us to keep 100 % of the natural stretch of the base neoprene (any lining or covering of the surface that closes the cells, reduces stretch). We then line it very carefully with an inner liner taking utmost care that as little of the stretch is lost but at the same time reducing it to an amount where the material cannot be overstretched."

The major difference between the Blacktec and Titanium suits is that the Titanium is thinner and is glued but not stitched. The Titanium suit uses Camaro's proprietary seamless bonding process that includes gluing the suit first and then heat sealing it with a specially developed 5-layer tape. The Blacktec is a little thicker than the Titanium suit it can be glued and blind stitched. This provides a durable water tight seam and makes the suit more economical.

http://www.camaro.at/index_e.php

• Baller_
@Chuck How cold of water are you in? Do you notice grip change with liners? It would be great to have a liner under your glove if you dont have a big change in grip. For the 2-3 weeks a year when the water is supper cold I could give up some grip if I could keep my fingers warm for a few more minutes.

• Administrators
The zipper is not dry. The only time you get cold is when you first get in.... that gush of cold water down your spine sort of sucks but after your first pass it is all forgotten.

@MS

Mid to high 40F water. I have not tried the Camaro liners yet, too much going at work right now to ski.

I don't notice any grip difference with this method, give it a try. I put the kevlar liners on first, then the surgical gloves then my 41 Tails. I pull my wetsuit sleeve over the cuff of the surgical glove, then when I cinch down the 41 Tails, it creates a rubber on rubber seal. After 6 to 8 passes, my hands are still dry.

@Inboardfix

I have the Camaro 0.5mm shorty, the full, the 1mm Open cell (precursor to the BlackTec) and the 2mm Titanium. I use the 2mm Titanium to replace my Drysuit. All my Camaro stuff feels warmer and much more comfortable than any of my O'Neill's in comparable thickness. Horton isn't kidding when he stated he's better off than his ski buds wearing Drysuits.

• Administrators
I will be doing some review on other Camaro products soon but I have to say this again. "I am sure I am warmer in this wetsuit than the guys I ski with who are in dry suits"

• Baller
Ditto what OB said..I have the same suit from Sunset and skied in 65 degree water @66 Air...This suit is so light it's crazy..Showed it to my ski partner and he thought I was nuts..He used his fullsuit and said it was cold....Felt so good to be out of the full suit, that my 28 opener was crazy wide and early..Add the new Mapple 6 and ZO Revision R with the Plus and this is great.

• Baller

Finally some good news from Camaro, the Black Tec suits are on the way to US retailers.

Only the 1mm shorty in this shipment...anyone interested can order them now from my shop (or check with a Camaro dealer in your area) they will ship to you the week of April 22!

www.robbysskishop.com

• Baller
Skied yesterday in 58 deg water 52 deg air and was fine in my Titanium shorty. After 2 passes I was fine, never got cold. The other guys were all in drysuits, glad I wasn't. I don't know if I'd go much colder than 58 though.

• Baller

I used my Titanium shorty with air and water in the 60's and totally comfortable....In fact it is so light, it is hard to believe it works so well..Total freedom of movement.

Anyone using the Camaro Impact Vest ? How does it compare to the Eagle ?

• Baller
@ed_johnson I used the camaro impact most of last year. Floats much better than my eagle which is mainly what I was wanting. Very light, very comfortable. Its not wetsuit material like the eagle. I was reccomended to get a size larger than my eagle, but decided to stick with the same size, L and it fit great.

@ed_johnson & @gregy

ok, you guys have me sold. I'm going to drop a call out to cali and get a new Camaro vest and shorty...I hate, hate being cold. I was going to wait for the blacktec to become available; however, full suits are generally long for me for a good fit anyway.

I'll take your advice. Too bad @Horton is trying to jump on your bandwagon.

Thanks

• Baller
Yeah, here's to hoping the 1mm is super warm for its thickness...Horton is really the only one that knows around here. Already gave my opinion(more than once) to Camaro, that is why I picked up all of the 2mm Titaniums I could. Couple things, the Titanium suits are a little delicate the silver top coat is thin, so it will blemish does nothing to the performance of the suit though. BlackTec won't have that issue because it's black all the way through. Everyone around here that tested the BlackTec 1mm last fall loved them and thought they were warm. The new BlackTec will be out there in Ballerville very soon and then you guys will tell us and we will all know how they do. That is the advantage to a forum like this, we have a place to get the straight story immediately, good, bad or ugly!

• Baller
Yes, a picture of a Black Tec Shorty...sent the first suits out yesterday to some Ballers and asked them to give their reviews when they try them. Still not sure what Camaro's problem is in producing these suits...only recieved Shorty's and only size Large...next ship date is June :(

• Administrators
Last few days the air has been in the low 60s and the air has been in the mid 50s. Everyone else is wearing dry suits and I am using my BlackTec. They are worried about leaks and baggy legs. I am warm and comfortable.

• Baller
Mine is the Silver 2mm Long Sleeve Shorty and was warm as toast Sat. with 61 degree water and 55 degree air...Everyone else used heavy full suits...I may go this whole winter without using my Oneill Psycho II, which I hate, because it is so confining...The Camaro is like wearing nothing at all.