Ski School Suggestions

GroovyGrant

• Baller

I've only been to one school, thus I cannot compare it to another. HOWEVER...

We went to Coble Ski School in NC last September. Had a blast. I was most impressed by the staff and the way they treated their guests. Literally, we felt "pampered" the entire trip. They would deliver your food to the table, they would clean up your plate after you were finished eating, etc.

Also, whenever April practices she'll let you ride in the boat. She doesn't care if 5 people pile into the boat during practice sessions. She just wants everyone to get a chance to watch her ski from the boat. Awesome family. I can't compliment them enough. Some pros would probably get picky about how much weight was in the boat when preparing for the upcoming weekend tournament.. not April. She cares more about entertaining guests.

Also, there's never a shortage of ski time. We would typically run at least 3 sets a day and then another if there was enough time before dinner. There's enough ski time that almost anyone would have blisters on their hands by the end of the week.

The thing I liked most was the overall atmosphere. More specifically, all the lakes you ski on are beautiful. The lakes are old sand pits. The water is a beautiful turquoise/aqua color. Depending which lake you ski, there's a hot tub and a corn hole game waiting for you in between sets. Also, April and Chris employ some great staff. Friendly, funny, and professionals.

I guess it depends what you want to get from the Ski School. If you are strictly looking for training and working on your technique, etc... then I've heard several people say that Coble isn't for you. However, if you are looking for a combination of a vacation and coaching, then I don't see how you can beat Coble Ski School (even though I've never been elsewhere).

We already signed up for a trip in May (Spa week #2). The adult weeks are best for a husband and wife (even a single). I've heard they have some awesome family weeks there too.

I guess I'm a little biased, but I can verify that Coble is amazing. period.

• Baller_

Here is a different way of looking at it: How much will you ski? If you are going to ski all day, go to Orlando and pick a school. They are all good. If you are going to ski a set or two and then go to the beach, Orlando won't work because the nearest beach is an hour away. You can hit the theme parks if that is your thing, but the parks are not my idea of relaxing. (There is great golf, tennis night life restaurants and shopping in Otown, don't get me wrong.)

If you want a beach, maybe you want to go to Chet's in Boca Raton or Cory Pickos's in Santa Rosa Beach. Both are close to the ocean. Do you have kids, or do you want to jump and trick as well as slalom? If so, you just reduced your choices as a lot of spots only offer slalom. Cory's, Travers' in Groveland, Matt Rini, Lucky Lowe or Scot Ellis in or near Otown, McCormacks or Cobles. The three event schools are fun even if you only slalom because of all the junior skiers that are there. That pimple faced kid that you discussed algebra with on the dock just might win Junior Masters next spring or be on the cover of Water Skiing magazine.

How about skipping Florida all together? That works if you are going after April first (or if you are hardy, any time). In my book, it is hard to beat Charleston, SC. Great food, night life, culture, and Seth Stisher or Trophy Lakes. Or Bennett's in Louisiana. I skied there last month. Great facility and pro shop, and you're an hour and a half from Bourbon Street, antique shops and incredible galleries in New Orleans. If you go in the fall, you can get tickets for an LSU football game... preferably one where LSU's butt gets kicked by Auburn.

Lpskier

Our team went down to Ski Fluid and skied with Kiwi Eade last spring break. We had slalomers, trickers, and jumpers. It was an awesome week. Great coaching and a ton of skiing. Everyone that went was either at their PBs or setting new ones by the end of the week (and that is after sitting through 5 months of midwest winter)

We are planning on going back again this spring for another great week

• Baller_

Well, if you are free skiers, you will probably have more fun skiing on a natural lake than in a trench, aka modern ski lake. A modern ski lake is pretty much six turns and drop. If that's not what you are used to, or perhaps more importantly if that isn't what your wife is used to, she may not enjoy herself.

While the best on site lodging north of Acapulco is probably found at Travers or Swiss Ski School, in both cases you are skiing a trench. Lucky Lowe has a natural lake with lots of room so you won't feel rushed to turn before the boat runs out of lake, with three slalom courses and (if you are feeling adventuresome) two jumps. His on site accommodations are spartan by comparison to Travers' or Swiss (where you rent a house), though comparable to many other ski schools. Seth Stisher has some off site yet near by condos available. It's a short drive to good sushi from Seth's; Its a good drive to much of anything from Travers'or Swiss. Lucky is a half hour or so south of Orlando.

If I were you and I want to make sure my wife has fun, I'd stay at Disney and ski with Lucky, or go to Seth's (a gravel pit, so bigger than a trench but smaller than a lake) and stay in a nice hotel in downtown Charleston. If your wife is like mine, she will enjoy either choice, and so will you.

Lpskier

• Baller

@Ipskier some really good points made here, I agree if you are not used to a confined piece of water, it could be difficult to get something out of your trip, I know Lucky is a great believer in free skiing to help perfect your turns and position, before moving into the course and he has the space to do that.

I suppose a ski school with a very long stretch of water, would, not be so bad.

• Baller

Grant, For the skiing and vacation ski school my family has always felt Bennett's had it all. It is a 9 hour drive from Kimberling City. I lived on the Rock until 2 years ago. We have done the New Orleans weekend before ski school. Hit the Plantation homes. There is more than enough to do. We always rented a cottage for privacy. Our own kitchen so we could keep some of our own food and beverages. Coaching and facility always been 1st class. Just watch out for the Pro shop it has everything. Jay and Ann are great hosts. If you want to have a great time and improve your skiing Bennett's is a great destination.

Jeff Lindsey

I can also recommend Bennetts. Jay and anne really know how to look after you. Great coaching for all levels. I've been back half a dozen times, never been disappointed and always brought something away to work on when I get home. Last time I checked they're half the price of other schools considering the price includes full board if you want it. I've stayed in both the dormitory accomodation ( included in the price ) and the cottages, and I'd do either again. Looking forward to my next visit.