6 weeks to get in shape--suggestions

WBLskier

• Baller
I'm heading to Cory Pickos in 6 weeks for 5 days of skiing. I may not get an early spring in MN like we got last year where I was able to get 10 or so days in before early April...odds are the lake will still be frozen. My upper back/traps and neck always kill me following the first few days of skiing. Any suggestions on what lifts/exercises I can do to mimic the loads of skiing to ease the pain on those specific muscles and try to be in some shape for this?

In short, fitness is a Journey and not a destination. WTS, I would ease into something that interests you and EASE into it! If you let yourself jump into it as if there is no tomorrow, you will be crazy sore for 2-3 wks. (inflammation) and crazy stiff ( creating greatly reduced flexibility) for many more weeks after. -Great Recipe for injury...

All the Big Muscle stuff is NOT necessary, (just look at the Women Skiers) but Conditioning is. Flexibility and Agility is Paramount. In fact, much of the general soreness that everyone experiences when they resume Skiing is not simply a lack of Muscle, it is more often caused by Tension from being out of practice and tensing up while exerting extensively. This will happen to some degree regardless. But, hitting the water w/o a sound Off-Season training and conditioning program is going to tax your muscles, tendons and joints excessively. So, I'd work deligently on Flexibilty and Agility and secondarily on Strength for the next 5wks.

Then on your trip, RELAX while you Ski as much as Humanly possible! Take time to continue your stretching, get a good Massage or two and find the jacuzzi! Stay the heck away from Caffeinated drinks and other Highly inflammatory foods and drinks. (well, if you want to reduce the pain AND STIFFNESS...)

Whatever you do, take off from ALL resistance exercises a full 4 days before your trip and only stretch lightly and do some light Core/Stabilization work.

Good Luck!

• Baller
@WBLskier Interval training and lifting weights like crazy, and don't shoot me on this one, but throw in some yoga while you are at it. Fartlicks are the best interval training I have done. Basically, I go out and jog and use the street-light poles as my guide. jog for 2 poles and then sprint as fast as i can for the 3rd. then, repeat over and over and over til you want to puke on the side of the road, and then do 5 more! This winter, I have literally had cars pull over and ask if I am okay. They are not used to seeing a fat lard ass pushing it as hard as I have....they don't undertand the comment I make back to them....."I need more balls!!"

• Baller
@Brady Yoga is great. Interval training is good too. I have been doing about 7min pretty hard on the erg, then I will do intervals of 20sec on (about 9 strokes) hard and fast then 30sec off. I will do about 15 then 3 more. I equate the 9 strokes to the getup, pullout, turn in, then 6 turns, and pull out. I will be upping it to 25 sec this coming week.

• Baller

I've skied 2 sets so far this season after a 3 month layoff. I'm returning from a pinched nerve that caused a bunch of other problems and generally took it pretty easy. Immediately after my first set I thought about how football players sit in ice baths to reduce soreness. I knew I couldn't sit in an ice bath but I did put an ice bag on everything that seems to get sore when I haven't skied for a while and I didn't get nearly as sore as I thought I would after the first set.

I started reading up on ice baths and found some info that suggested the perfect temperature for an ice bath was around 55-60 degrees. (which just happens to be where our water temperature is) After my second set a week later, I took off my suit, put on shorts and jumped into the lake with the idea to stay in it for as long as I could. I couldn't stay in it long because it's hard for me to breathe in those temps once my chest gets submerged but I did jump in 3 times for as long as I could and then put ice packs on the normal sore spots again once I got home. I was happy with the results and was not extremely sore either of my first 2 times of the year.

@9400, Excellent advice. Ice will help keep the initial inflammation down and increase Blood circulation. Much healthier and more effective the NSAIDs. I often take my Blue Ice and place it on my mid Back after my last set while driving for my partner and in my truck on the Drive home.

@WBLskier, One of the biggest problems with Gym type w/o's for "Conditioning" purposes on the Water, is that Gym Routines and movements are very controlled and on a repetitive path and ROM. (Conditioning the Body for Gym w/o's Not skiing!) Skiing generally, involves quick adjustments, Rapid firing the Fast twitch muscle fibers and in a relatively uncontrolled atmosphere & ROM. (i.e. you do not Ski or Fall like you w/o in the Gym...)

The best advice I can offer is to, drastically change up and vary your Lifting and Resistance movements. Even go very Hard at times and even a bit herky/jerky (by Gym standards) Don't waste a lot of time doing mindless 12-15 rep ranges. (12-15 is o.k. but I'd be failing at 12-15reps, not just counting repititions...) Do Hvy. Low rep ranges at times as well.

Do a lot of EXPLOSIVE type reps. FIRE those muscles hard and also deplete them. But, always keep your Mind and Body guessing a little. The Body will go to sleep on any "routine" after about 3-4 wks... Fire those Traps, (Upper, Mid and Lower) Fire the Lats and the rear delts HARD!

• Baller

On the headaches - this may sound stupid because you're around water. But drink more water!

I am convinced a day of waterskiing is one of the more dehydrating activities. Wind, work, sun, stress, beer at night for the aches, SUN!

Drink tons of water, get really well hydrated.

• Baller

A month before Christmas I started doing CrossFit, was in good shape and fit, or so I thought till I started CrossFit, it whooped my ass. Did the workouts off the website consistently and added a few in here and there in the week for a couple days in a week of two a days. Went to Florida Day after Christmas day skied for a week, was sore but no where near as I have been in previous trips, was pretty impressed, the previous trip to that to ski was 6 weeks prior...Came back and continued on withCrossFit, 8-10 workouts a week, ran 20 min on the treadmill (no outside running in the snow for me) 4 mornings a week 1min@7mph/1min@9.5mph, 0% incline, just got back from the last trip to Florida, wasn't sore from skiing at any point...

without a doubt CrossFit is the answer for skiing...

if you choose a different path to be fit for skiing, your wasting your time...and probably a lot more of it than the CrossFit skiers are getting fit.

• Baller

@Brady, when I was younger and still able to run, my neighbors probably thought I was nuts. Not only did I do what you mentioned, I called them intervals, (fartlicks sound better), I then did zig zag drills with my turning arm up and extended to get better balance.

Another great get ready exercise is a rowing machine or just jump in a cable rower at the gym and do like 5 sets of 30. Or tie a handle to a pole and do hip up to handle pull-ups in skiing position. These work the skiing muscles as good as I have found.

Oh yea, do deep knee bends or squats without or to medium weight. High reps. It's what prevents the dreaded back leg muscle cramp.

• Baller
@rayn Were you referring to @AB about getting professional help? Because he definitely needs it!! Al, I so wish I had some video of your training regime. That would be classic. It would be easy for me to help you get in shape. I would simply take you 20 miles out of town and then have you chase me back while I was eating all forms of pastries and tell you that if you can catch me, you can partake. But I would always drive just a bit faster than you could run......You would be ripped in no time!!

• Baller
I would love to, but this winter my arthritis finally blew my knee up. Trying to figure out what's next. Gives out walking up stairs now. I think I will have to ski stiff legged or something. Getting out of the water with stiff legs may be interesting. This sucks.

@jayski, Not trying to debate or split hairs here, but your Statement; “if you choose a different path to be fit for skiing, your wasting your time”... Is maybe just a bit harsh and inaccurate. I would hate to tell anyone that they are wasting their time w/o 1st knowing all of their facts.

Crossfit is a great way to kick a Butt into some good Athletic shape. But in reality, now that you have learned how to better push yourself physically & Mentally through Crossfit, (surely farther then you ever did in the past.) hence, your great results. Wouldn’t you agree that you could now employ many of the same Techniques and Strategizes that you have learned, to a workout within the parameters of a typical Gym setting and still get very good results?

Crossfit is in fact a form of HIIT and many of the strategizes are simply variations of Interval and Periodisation Training. While intergrading forms of Super sets and Giant Sets and working to Physical or timed failure. Believe it or not, all of these tactics date back to the days of Arnold.

Crossfit by nature (or default) is one of the very best Core workouts available. IMHO, this is where Crossfit really excels. As most people have very little idea what the actual Core is and how or why to Condition it for Athleticism.

Unfortunately, the down side of Crossfit is; it is VERY demanding and many people with physical limitations cannot participate. Those who are rehabbing are generally out. Those who do not have a Crossfit facility locally or cannot afford a Trainer to properly learn the ropes are (or should be) out.

One more thing that is becoming a real problem with Crossfit. Too many people get all hyped up and get Hurt and/or get Burned out because there is too many “NO Pain, No Gain” workouts to failure, too often to allow the Muscle joints and tendons full recuperation. Overtraining is VERY, very hard to avoid while pounding NSAIDs, shooting Red Bull and doing WOD after WOD… -That aspect of Crossfit is (WOD after WOD after WOD) the Perfect recipe for disaster. A disaster called Injury at the very least…

There is someone reading this right now and they’re saying to themself; “Yep, I’ve been there” or Yep, I’m there right now”

• Baller

@h20dawg79

NO...

and yes my post maybe harsh but accurate...Personally I didn't need to learn how to push myself, I already had that, I wasnt a fat pig or 'unfit' to start with, been below 10% bf for the last 3 years year round...I do my workouts at home and there is a wealth of information to properly educate yourself on all movements properly on the site...

your statements regarding CrossFit are innacurate and uneducated...it is not solely HIIT philosphy, it is not a 'core' workout, it does use those principals adn works the "core" and more...some theories in use with it may be 100's of years old but the difference is in the application in the WOD'S, they are dynamic and explosive, perfect for skiing, unlike lying on a bench and doing 3 or more different variation of bench press which holds no value to skiing among other lethargic BB movements, sure Arnold built himself an impressive physique but it was for show not go...

it does not inhibit people with 'physical limitations', there are lots of WOD that can be used to facilitate recovery and work around injuries...

your paragraph of "too many workpouts" is uneducated, the CrossFit philosophy is 3 on 1 off or 5 on 2 off with the 3/1 ratio their prefered...

CrossFit wasn't designed or created by some gym rat, by doctors, there is loads of science behind it, and loads of proof it works for a magnitude of sports...

but hey, I really don't care if you drink the CF koolaid or not, or like or dislike the lack of sugar coating , it's not the CF mentality to sugar coat or pansy around, but I know the skier that does it and is standing on the dock with you at some tournament has the physical advantage on you, educate yourself on it, particiapte in it then base your opinions, until then remarks are unfounded...I've been through it all, it's the answer, in four years of multi off season trips to Florida it is the first time I have not been sore, that is an advantage, and it's even larger come the beginning of the season while everyone else is whinning and crying about soreness and fatigue and I'm progressing skiing two sets a day everyday while their 'resting'...

crossfit.com

• Baller
@E_T, chicken or egg? Getting racked up with injury puts you on the sideline, and I have found that as I have gotten older, the pounds pile on pretty quick.. I have just been a bad spot for a couple years and hoping to work out of it. The knee, well that might be a problem... Too many trips up and down a basketball court, torqueing off a pitcher's mound, skiing... etc... can't take any of that back.

• Administrators

@jayski & @h20dawb70

Are you guys getting snippy over what work out is best? Really?

Please do not make me moderate.

As usual I have not read every word so I am not sure how this started. I do not care. Just be nice.

• Administrators
@AB you have to understand that @E_T is only 4,000 years old. On his planet that is like being early 20s for a human. Being fit is easy at that age.

@jayski is right about CrossFit not being limited to someone who is 100% healthy or superfit. I have seen 65 year old ladies who have bi-lateral knee replacement do CrossFit. CrossFit also rehabbed my 10 year old shoulder injury from when I dislocated it skiing. I never thought I would have full range of motion or stability in that shoulder and now I can Overhead Squat 185 pounds with it.

• Baller

@Horton I am trying to help out this tense situation and so I am going to divulge the true secret method that is absolutely the best workout on the planet...period!!! @E_T may be upset, because he has been using this method for thousands of years. @jayski & @h20dawb70, pay attention, because this workout will put everything else to shame!!!