D3 ROCKERBLOCK

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2013/RockerBlock.jpg

A new technological innovation so effective we delayed the public release date until the design was completely patent protected. The tournament ski market is highly competitive and as we began to realize what a huge game-changing innovation the ROCKERBLOCK was we knew we wanted this innovation proprietary to D3.

Much like the "rocker ski" craze that is sweeping the snow ski market, the magic of our ROCKERBLOCK is in the placement of the rocker. The extra-wide snow ski design was a great innovation for powder skiing. The width allowed the skis to float on the top of the soft snow making powder skiing more fun and less effort. But with this extra width came a downside, they were hard to turn. The addition of tip and tail rocker made these new wide skis now effortless to turn. The wide skis when combined with rocker make skiing easier for everyone.

The patent pending ROCKERBLOCK delivers a similar experience to water skis. Flatter skis with less rocker are typically more stable, cross the course better and allow easy access to the front of the ski into the turns. The down side is the turns are difficult on a flatter ski. The skier is typically forced to push the tail to complete the turn as the ski does not naturally want to come around on its own. Conversely a ski with a lot of rocker will turn well but is quite difficult to control, does not hold angle well thru the wakes and skis inconsistently at best. With ROCKERBLOCK the rocker is positioned in the last 8" of the ski. Now the Quest can reap the benefits of a flatter, overall ski design while still achieving effortless turns that must be experienced to be believed.

The D3 QUEST featuring ROCKERBLOCK technology is easily the most technologically advanced slalom ski in D3 history. The new bevel design, increased surface area and a revolutionary new reduced rocker pattern are all designed to work in perfect harmony with the patent pending ROCKERBLOCK. This new rocker shape allows the Quest to deliver maximum stability and control while maintaining effortless course width and symmetrical turns.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2013/Quest_Vert.jpg

ROCKERBLOCK pat pending – Standard equipment on every 2013 Quest. This industry first fin block creates rocker over the last 8” of the tail of the ski. When mounted, ROCKERBLOCK delivers the perfect ski shape where it matters most. The patent pending ROCKERBLOCK delivers a feeling that can only be described as a “complete game-changer”. Skiers who experience ROCKERBLOCK for the first time are shocked by the angle they can easily create and maintain.

QUEST  w/ Rockerblock   65”, 66”, 67” & 68”

QUEST GS  w/ Rockerblock (softer flex)   65” & 66”

$1,299 includes patent pending ROCKERBLOCK, fin blade and all mounting hardware.

• Baller
The patent is on putting rocker on the bottom of the fin block, not rocker in the ski. As you tighten the fin block onto the ski it forces the rocker into the ski rather than forcing the ski flat with a traditional flat bottom fin block. I rode a Quest with a Rockerblock for the second time yesterday and ran 38 with a drysuit and cold water. That's pretty good for me this time of year. I think people are really going to like this ski with the new Rockerblock.

• Baller
When I heard about this a few days ago, I took the fin block off one of my demo Quests and the bottom is indded curved. Hard to detect visually, but on a truly flat surface, it is easy to determine the curve. I can't wait to get on the ski and see what the difference is compared to the 2012 Fusion. I'm hearing great things from those that have already ridden the ski.

• Baller
I find it really hard to believe that the fin block alone is creating that rocker in the ski, the ski must be 'rockered' in the tail and the fin block was designed to 'fit' with it...as @MattP pointed out about the stress to the inserts, it would be pretty high to bend the ski over an 8" area to create a rocker with the fin block alone, especially with hand tightened screws and inserts

• Baller

More curvature (in profile) at the tail = More suction at the tail. Yes, it will help the ski come around in a turn, but it will also increase drag cross-course. This is always the same balance that plays out with wing angle settings.

I guess I would prefer to "play" with fin settings, rather than to add (a very difficult to quantify) adjustment in tail rocker adjustment. The @Mateo Vargas comment is not that facetious.

• Baller

At first it sounded like a last minute bandaid, but as @jayski pointed out the rocker must be already built into the ski, no way the inserts could withstand the stress from creating rocker in such a limited lenght.

• Baller_
So I'm thinkin the block is a set curve and the ski matches that curve and that's it. no adjusting of anything. Yes? My other questions is where in the snow ski is a RockerBlock.??? My snow skies are old....not used much if ever........very sad about that.

• Baller

I will be interested to read the patent once it is complete, looks to be pending.

It would seem if the patent is just for a curved fin block base there are many ways around that (like a flat top deck mold so your fin block sits flat... might be easier than machining a curved block.

• Baller

@Wish Some snow skis (mostly park skis) have rocker built into them the last 6 to 8 "or so, much like the d3 rockerblock idea ( obviously without the fin block).

The rocker is at both ends of the skis, makes longer skis act like shorter.

• Baller

@DanE

Correct - the snow ski analogy made by D3 doesn't make sense. In powder, a powder snow ski with rocker will still have the same area to help with flotation as a ski without rocker. On packed snow the rocker will reduce the area of the ski in contact with the snow, thereby making the ski "appear" to be shorter. However, a waterski is always immersed at the tail, so rocker will not change the apparent length of the ski.

Oh well, marketing holds a place in any commercial product.

• Baller_
@DanE so it's the binding mount plate on the top of the ski that has a curve to it to match the curve of the ski?? Sorry im a idiot when it comes to latest snow ski stuff. There was ski buddy (machinist) of mine in MN that patented the adjustable clamping fin block. I believe he forced the other companies to pay him to produce adjustable fin blocks or stop making them. Not sure what ever became of that. Maybe his patent ran out or they found a way around it. Tough to patent things these days - materials-design. . Seems harder and harder anyway.

• Baller

@sixam675, you missed considering the part of the reduced overall rocker. The ski is flatter overall with more rocker in the tail.

I rode it and, although it is too early for me to be 100% accurate in my conclusions, the ski seems to turn better than anyting I have tried (including the Warp), and does not seem at all to drag cross course. There are three major changes, flatter overall rocker, more rocker in the tail and curved finbox and extra width. The ski is, and behaves, very differently than the Fusion.

Yeah, I agree tham marketing stuff is present in the ad. But not more than what other companies do (e.g, the three A3 "automatic" features).

• Baller

Bondo works as an easy rocker adjustment. A little hook of Bondo at the end of the ski can really improve overall ski characteristics. Can I patent that?

Rocker is a huge factor in ski performance - maybe the most important single factor. But the synergy between all the other effects is what makes a ski good.

Top sheet rocker is totally irrelevant. A curved fin block to match a curved top sheet is a marketing gimmick. That does not mean that all the factors aren't balanced to make the ski a great ski.

My favorite snow skis don't have rocker. And I'm the best skier on the mountain!

Eric

• Baller

@Wish. No, binding mount plates is not located where there is rocker in the skis.

Rocker in snow skis is just a short area near the ends of the skis, think "Rockerblock" rocker but without anything mounted on top of the ski.

@eleeski I believe rocker in snow skis is geared toward park skis to make them more manouverable and forgiving in the landings, landed a front flip720 lately?

• Baller

@eleeski has a good point. If more rocker over the last eight inches of the ski is a meaningful step forward in ski design, all they've patented is the cheapest/easiest way to build it. Others can achive the same tail rocker with a flat top sheet and a curved base once they sort out the ideal sidewall profile this change would require.

Having said that, I hope D3 has a real winner on their hands. I'm a big fan of D3, the people and their skis.

• Baller_
Ok, another dumb question but if the term Rockerblock originated in the snow ski industry, which is what I'm understanding from posts, how is block part of the title.?. Kinda get it for D3 as fin block is often used. Would think just Tailrocker for snow skis.

• Baller

Friday I was called by a D3 rep friend informing me of the finblock announcement (actually called about other things but the finblock came up). What I took from the conversation is the new finblock is designed to not interfere with the ski designer's planned rocker in the last 8" or so of the ski. Prior to this finblock the designed/engineered tail rocker was affected by the bolting down of a flat faced fin block. Seemed to make sense and D3 is convinced this is a game changer.

• Baller_
@Ed I was thinking from the description that my ski for example has a natural rocker in it all the way to the tail. Perhaps very wrong on this point. And the fin block is taking that out. Would the D3 block or something similar allow that rocker to come back. But yes agree with attempting to bend the tail of the ski to add rocker would be to much for inserts. Wasn't really thinking that way.

• Baller

@wish Other manufacturers were not discussed. My interpretation of what was discussed is bolting a flat (traditional) fin block onto a ski affects the rocker of the ski under the fin block. Since different skis have different rocker patterns I would think using the Quest fin block on another ski wouldn't be an exact fit. Perhaps it would be a closer match than a flat block so maybe some benefit would result.

• Baller
I will be discussing this fin block in another thread (soon), but I wanted to show that there are other ways to keep the fin block from changing the natural rocker of the ski. But, as @KM said "Can't they just rocker the bottom of the ski and keep the top of the ski where the fin clamps on flat?" Yes, at least in the case of O'Brien, it is definitely a consideration when the ski is designed.