Are workout supplements bennificial to my skiing?

FrankS

I am starting to get serious about getting in shape so I can ski my best, and everywhere I look there is an add or someone telling me that to get the best results I have to take supplements. Do I really need to take supplements and are they worth the money? I don't want to become a big body builder looking guy but I do want to get strong and lean to help my skiing. Looking better is a beneficial "side affect" in my mind. Would you recommend that I spend my money on supplements and if so what supplements? Different types of protein? Creatine? Pre/post workout mixes?

@FrankS, With 30+ yrs in Fitness, Training and Nutrition I can honestly say that EVERYTHING Nutritional is absolutely Relative to the Individual and their Present Diet, Training and objective(s).

Obviously Generally "Eating Right" is a priority. (Easier said then done in todays World) Age and Body chemistry will play a huge role in the need for supplementation. If you look around at all the Hyped up Supplements, you'll quickly find that many, many of the Descriptions and benefits will magically describe EVERYTHING THAT YOU NEED! -lol! ya, so $$$ how deep are your pockets?!?!

However, w/o getting proper blood work done and working with a Lic'd Nutritionalist, many people will absolutely benefit from a Multi Vit., Fish oil, B Complex, B-12 (sub-lingual Methylcobalimin) and Magnesium Citrate.

I was into competitive B/Building in the 80's. For Building, Protein is Good and Supplementation o.k. but, there is No need to kill yourself or your Bank acct. for it to maintain a high level of Fitness. (just learn to eat Clean with minimal Protein supplementation)

Glutamine is a Good (and economical) post w/o Supplement.

Some forms of Creatine work well for many. Some people either do not respond and/or have Side effects. (Drink 2-3 times MORE Water EVERYDAY when using Ceatine)

Speaking of Water, (your Muscles are approx:2/3 WATER) So, start drinking at least twice as much as you do now just for better Health and Performance... Drink til you are wizzin' every couple hrs. AND if your Wizz is not CLEAR, you are not been drinking enough WATER! (except after B Vit's, your wizz needs to be Clear.)

Seriously, WATER, WATER, WATER! (Rev. Osmosis and Mineral water is your friend, City water and many Bottled waters are your enemy...)

I know, TOO MUCH INFO!

Good Luck!

• Baller

As a competitive power lifter in my former life, I wasted some dough on a variety of things that didnt' work. Creatine simply did for me and still does beyond just "it seems to be helping"...it's pretty dramatic. Both for power (in the gym) and regeneration (set after set...which also applies to set after set of skiing). I can ski more sets while maintaining strength for each set when taking creatine. True also you should watch hydration on creatine and the more water the better...wish I was better at that personally.

Maybe @razorskier1 would start selling his blood for tranfusions. I think he's part quarter horse, part clydesdale. We'd all be in better shape doping his blood.

• Baller
Creatine worked great for me. It is the ONLY supplement I ever took that actually worked like it said it would. Took it in college for football, took it when I was trying to peak out my gym lifts in my early twenties, took it again when I was training for an amature power lifting competition in my late twenties. It worked as advertised all three times. I need to give it another go.

@Onside135, The following is a very brief outline for my reasoning.

I like my R/O System B/C it is handy and provides clean water 24/7/365 to a sink Tap and Frig. for Drinking, Ice or Cooking. It is convenient, economical and saves a lot of plastic trash!

To me, the only downsides are: there are Filters and a Membrane to change out every 6-18 months and the fact that the R/O removes literally everything good and bad from the water! (including the Minerals) But, at least you can trust that most things like Arsenics, Chlorine, Lead, Mercury and Fluoride are removed…

Bottled Water has very little Gov. regulation. In fact, you could actually fill a plastic jug from your Garden Hose and sell it as “Drinking Water.” As long as you do not claim that it is “Spring Water” or “From a Natural Source” etc…

So, in the U.S. you really have No idea what is actually in the “Water” from Bottles. Heck, Big Co.’s like Coca Cola Bottling Co. have struck it rich by simple filling plastic bottles with the same “Filtered Water” that they had always used for creating their Soft Drinks! Back in the 90’s most people mistakenly Assumed that all Bottled water was somehow “Healthy” and bottled in some exotic, far away place like the French Alps! (Filtering does not eliminate much of the really bad stuff)

Do a little study on Fluoride and see how Hitler used to give it to the POW’s to Poison them & “Dumb them down” or the fact that it is a “Hazardest Waste” Bi-product from producing and refining Aluminum! (The U.S. had about a Gillion tons of the stuff post WWll from the Aero Space industry and sadly it ended up in our Municipal water and sold to the Citizens as a way to fight Tooth decay!)

Arsenics, various drugs and Hazardest Waste are all found in public Water sources. This is one reason for all the Chlorine used by the Municipalities. But, short of an R/O or a very expensive purification system, this stuff is also in your tap water, at your work and at your favorite restaurants in small amounts! (small if your not counting all the Chlorine! and a slice of Lemon sure isn't going to help!)

Mineral Water is water that contains a high level of dissolved minerals (electrolytes).

Mineral water balances the electrolytes in the body and replenishes the necessary balance of minerals and water that the body loses naturally. Mineral water has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Mineral water also helps to cleanse the body of toxins and breakdown waste material. Many mineral waters have therapeutic effects, which ease and even cure many chronic conditions and diseases. Mineral water is beneficial in relieving the aches and pains of arthritis and rheumatism, by reducing the swelling and inflammation of muscles and joints.

• Baller

@FrankS at your age don't go to crazy.

When I was rowing full time and now as a high school rowing coach I subscribe to the eat right, drink water, drink water, eat right and treat your body right method.

Remember skiing is not all about muscling through the course, its about leverage.

@h2odaw79 I COMPLETELY AGREE about the water that is. Reverse osmosis is the best thing out there and mineral water is a close second.

Coca Cola Bottling Co.'s water Desani is reverse osmosis filtered. It's not tap, spring, creek, mountain, or "water".

• Baller

Save your money and eat right by following the USRDA guidelines. Americans have very expensive urine and feces thanks to the effective marketing of unnecessary supplements. We read the ads and have a good laugh in the lab from time to time.

• Baller

Whatever helps you to recover from exercise will be of benefit. No you don't want a bodbuilder body. Lean and strong/ light Eat a balanced diet, drink lots of water. Find a good massage therapist. Get plent of sleep/rest. Avoid over training. I'm a big advocate of Bikram Yoga. Look online to see what over training really is. You can measure resting heart rate upon waking. How far do you want to take all of this. What are your goals? Alot of good info has been put in this thread. Get your strength to weight ratio at your best, get your % of body fat as low as possible. All of this takes some sacrafice, I find it fun & part of my lifestyle. Good Luck!

• Baller

@franks

SUPPLEMENTS!

How else are you going to get the key amino acids that you need in order to promote muscle development? Creatine is awesome and shows really great results. IMO the best bang for you buck. Also a multivitamin is essential. Feeling a lack of energy during your workouts? Pre-workout drinks really help me maintain a focused and positive workout. In order to see results, I recommend working out atleast 5 times a week.

• Baller
@scotchipman - The Optimum Nutrition has worked wonders for me. Gained 12 lbs of muscle this winter, and we still have some time left. I'll be focussing on core and cardio this next three months though to try and reduce some weight and have a better strength to weight ratio. For reference - I work with a 8 time world champion weight lifter - he told me yesterday that at 55 he tied his world record he set in 2010. He too is using Optimum Nutrition Creapure Creatine. Buy it. You won't be dissapointed.

• Baller

I agree that eating right is key but I'm terrible at actually eating right. I've found that a protein shake everyday has considerably reduced my recovery time. I buy the whey protein for like $25 for 2 lbs and I think I used about 4 lbs last summer. I'm sure there is better stuff out there but this stuff along with a poor diet still allows me to ski 4-5 days a week. Before doing the protein thing, I typically could only ski every other day due to sore muscles and general fatigue. With the extra protein, I can ski 3 days in a row but will probably need a recovery day after that. I'm sure having the extra liquid in my system plays a role too.

Either way, if $100 worth of protein powder and milk every year allows me to have a tastey drink in the evenings while still allowing me to ski the next day without soreness or fatigue, you can put my butt on the lifetime membership program.

@FrankS, @tfriess,

For the Younger Guys, (I was once a “Younger Guy”!) If there is ONE THING that I would do different when it comes to SKIING if I could; I would have NEVER, EVER gotten all stupid into BodyBuilding. Gaining 75lbs. and a Ton of Strength was fun, (even fooled ourselves into believing that all the Chicks dug us! NOT!!!) But, in doing this, I pretty much through away most of my God given “Athleticism.”

I was once Built a lot like Nate Smith and could move so easily and fluidly. My Athleticism was incredible. Needless to say, my Skiing was literally effortless. Unfortunately I let Foolish Pride and ego take me in a direction that I somehow felt would take me to a better place in Life. It was a fun Journey at times and I’ve got some good memories.

But, had I known that I’d want to be a good skier later in Life, I would have NEVER subjected myself to so much Physically, Mentally and Financially. –for what, some Memories?

Stay Clean, Eat Clean and Live Clean. -Life will reward you. If you Really want to be someone in this Life, then go all in and Be Yourself, being the Very Best You possible. This is very challenging, (peer pres. Never ends) but, it is far more unique (Real) and Rewarding then any Show Time shallow imitation will ever be…

I say all that b/c I started BodyBuilding and lost my Athleticism by Total accident. I was only trying to gain enough muscle to fight Light Heavy wgt. (b/c I wasn’t Man enough to stay a little guy -Middle wgt) and it somehow all took off from there….

Good Luck! (On & Off the Water...)

• Baller
Skiing is a weird combo of strength/power and endurance. For me the trick is to train right in the offseason, then just keep upping the reps on the water when the ice goes out. As an aside, I just saw that the 'Honey Badger' only got 4 reps at 225 at the NFL combine bench press. Top mark was 28 reps this year. I did 20 last week. Probably ought to really burn it up and try for 30 so I can claim the top spot. @6balls -- diesel -- just keeps running.

• Baller

@scotchipman this is the creatine I use!

http://m.gnc.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5nbmMuY29tL3Byb2R1Y3QvaW5kZXguanNwP3Byb2R1Y3RJZD00MDE0OTI1JkNBV0VMQUlEPTc0OTgwNTg3NA%3D%3D

@waternut I wish I could say I spend 100 a year when I spend a little less than that in a month. Along with the creatine above, this is what I am all taking. Your welcome to "whey" in on what you think. Unfortunately this stuff is really emptying out my wallet but it works very good. I am 16, 6'1 155 and increasing the weight everyday.

http://m.gnc.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5nbmMuY29tL3Byb2R1Y3QvaW5kZXguanNwP3Byb2R1Y3RJZD0zNTA5OTU0JkNBV0VMQUlEPTMyNzgzNDQyNg%3D%3D

http://m.gnc.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5nbmMuY29tL3Byb2R1Y3QvaW5kZXguanNwP3Byb2R1Y3RJZD0xMjk4MjExMSZDQVdFTEFJRD0xMzUyMDQwMTc2

http://m.gnc.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5nbmMuY29tL3Byb2R1Y3QvaW5kZXguanNwP3Byb2R1Y3RJZD00MDMzNDM1JkNBV0VMQUlEPTU0NDc0Mjg4MA%3D%3D

@tfriess I dont think packing on weight is the way to go for slaloming (like what @h2odawg79 said) just look at nate smith. I am not saying that you shouldn't keep working out and gaining strength, I am just saying that measuring your success in weight gain is probably not the way to go. You can gain weight in a bad way also. Clever with the "whey" thing btw

• Baller
@MattP I disagree. If you aren't eating and drinking clean, that's when you need supplements the most. If you're eating the right foods, you'll just poop all the supplements out because your body has adequate amounts of nutrients and doesn't need the excess.

@MattP, @Waternut, IMHO, both points are valid. But in context, I have to agree with Matt. These guys are able body young men looking to optimize their Performance. They are Not 2 sedentary old men couped up in a convalescent Hospital in need of rounds of Ensure and they are not stuck in the middle of Afghanistan or on an icy Glacier trying to survive.

I believe Matt is saying; (and I agree 100%) if you are not dedicated enough to at least make the attempt to eat right in the 1st place, then SAVE YOUR $$$, b/c your Heart is not in it and you are wasting your Time, Energy and Money. -whats the next attempted short cut? Steriods? HGH?

Supplements are EXPENSIVE and they are a secondary line of Nutrition. I don't think a lack of discipline or fortitude constitutes the acceptable abuse of Achohol, Drugs, cigarettes or Supplements...

• Baller
Want to ski better? Eat wisely, sleep lots, exercise for strength not bulk, and supplement in moderation. With the money you save by not getting too carried away with expensive supplements, you can get coaching and a good camera and pylon mount. Then ski lots and try to make your videos look like the pros.

• Baller
Want to ski better? Get a few millions in your investment account, quit work, buy a house in West Palm Beach and one somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere, start dating a pro skier girl in her mid twenties. Training, eating, sleeping and good coaching will follow...

• Baller

@tfriess I think there is a massive difference in our goals for the supplements which explains the difference in price. I passively take them to reduce the discomfort after my activities and you actively take them to produce results from workouts which assist in your activities.

I ski for fun. If my whole lifestyle has to change to accomodate my fun, it's just not as fun to me anymore. I used to do a lot of stand up jetskiing and even hand built my own carbon fiber hull. When I started getting to the level where I was maintaining the jetski 2-3 hours to ride 4-5 hours and recovery time was 3-4 days after a weekend, I decided it wasn't worth it anymore. That was too much effort and time wasted in my opinion.

• Baller
I think the thread should have been "will building strength and flexibility help my skiing". The answer is yes. Now, if supplements help you to build the right kinds of strength and flexibility, that is a different question that only you can answer. At your age, I think training hard and consistently is all you need. Once you get old and all your testosterone disappears, that's a whole nuther question!

• Baller
Overall, stay as fit as you can, stay as light/lean as you can, stay as hydrated as possible, warm up before you ski, stretch/roll out your skiing muscles after you ski...supplementation can help w all of this, we are all different and lead different lives, so get some help and find what will work best for you.

• Baller
@bogboy, I can do the second one (quit my job). However, after a deep analysis, I reached the conclusion that by itself it does not lead to getting the other three, which I believe are key to the desired outcome...

• Baller
@ral Isn't that @ShaneH 's life, with one exception? Instead of one girl, he dates ALL the girls! I don't even dare ask my wife about Shane, because I am convinced she would start giggling, and say, "Oh, I miss that guy. Why can't you be more like him!"