GoPro Rope Mount

Phil2360

Been thinking on this a bit & haven't come up with a solution yet.

Wondering if anyone would like to offer any input.

The wake boarders out there are fitting lengths of poly pipe over their ropes, spliting it at the end & attaching it to the yolks of their handles so the camera always stays parallel to the handle.

Works pretty well for them, but for slaloming it would be better if it stayed level with the horizon.

so basically the pipe idea would need to be able to move & be counterweighted etc.

How would the lateral thinkers out there approach this?

Found this, Interesting, but not really working properly.

Cheers

Phil.

• Baller

Of course whatever is on the rope must also not snag bouys, or catch and throw the camera off.

I would wonder about using a handle guard.

@h2odawg79 - I stole your picture for this, if you have a problem with that I'll delete - Otherwise you get equal credit for the idea ;) I needed a photo of a handle with one installed.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2lvhh10.jpg

null

• Administrators

@shaneh to quote the X baller who cannot be named "BallOfSpray is the Death Star of water skiing".

you mister Hill are no Luke Skywalker

• Baller

@phil2360 - I agree.

I think that to pull this off, the only way you'll have a "torsional" stability for the camera is to have the camera between two taught lines, connected to the handle.

Anything that hangs on the line with a weight will spin and swivel - so you could buy one of those deep V get up handles, fill the entire V with plastic sheeting to hold the camera and do the same.

But it might be hard to get up that way

• Baller
if you set up a rail/track on the boat cover that you could hook the camera into, then took a rope and hooked the camera to the ski rope then the skiers side to side motion would pull the camera side to side following the skier, the track would have to match the curve of the skiers path nearly perfectly but it would work if you could manage the set-up.

• Baller

The real fun could be RC helicopter filming. Some of these quadcopters are camera ready, fast and coordinate programmable, as in program it to fly 10' above the water down the ski lake at 34 mph while filming. Hmmmmm.....

How about using a 3/4" PVC "T"

Run the rope through the top (Horizontal) of the "T"

Glue a 3/4" threaded pipe fitting adapter into the bottom of the (Vertical) "T" and attach a 6" (Metal) Pipe Nipple for a Counter wgt. (the longer the better for stability)

Mount a GOPRO to the top side of the (Horizontal) "T" above the Rope.

May need to add 2 Bushings to the inside of the Cross (Horiz.) section, around the Rope to improve stability and greatly reduce the "Swing effect"...

• Baller
I any of these ideas so far, what would happen to the go pro in the event of a big slack hit? Or in one of those situations where the skier gets load locked and the handle ends up in the drivers lap? I feel like that kind of shock can't be good for any camera.

• Baller
Wasn't there someone that posted a vid on here using a GoPro where he used a 5' section of PVC at the handle where he had it attached? He made several attempts/changes before he got it right. Seemed like it worked alright.

@igkya,

Plenty of examples of the pipe on the rope type mountings out there, particularly if you google "Gopro wakeboard rope mount".

Main thing is that the pipe they use is generally attached to the handle so the camera stays parallel with the handle.

For Slalom footage, keeping the camera more in line with the horizon would be a bit more desirable.

That's the main challenge I was considering.

I think with most Pro photo shoots the Skier is @ a very comfortable length. i.e. -32 this provides great opportunity for Good Shots and does not push the skier any where near their limits. Creating smooth and controlled lines.

I believe this concept would be ideal for the GoPro Rope idea as well. This would achieve better results and reduce the chance of scrappy, herky jerky passes that could promote the opportunity for serious slack hits and launches of Scud Missle Handles.

I think this Camera angle might be best if used as an alternative angle in a Very Cool edited Video! (Key words: Alternative Angle)

• Baller
@ScarletArrow my idea was more or less what is shown in that video. Kinda. Ill think about it more and if I find the time write something up. Hmm ill ponder it on my drive to Orlando this weekend.

I have an option for you that is pretty clean, stays vertical no matter what you do with the handle. its new but functional for skiiers, wakerboarders even scuba it works as your very own personal filming crew. I tried not to make it gopro specific it can work with gopro, contour and possibly other cameras you just need to get a tripod mount for your specific camera. They will be going for 50$ ping me if your interested..

ahhh... yeah that was round 1.. the concept in my head.. after playing a bit I needed it to plane out when the rope was in the water so I am on like round 4 right now.. Here is a vid from round 3.. April is awesome she took like 8 passes that morning.. totally lucky to get out with her, dan and mike.

Im hoping to catch someone going out wednesday at saquarro lake to test round 4..

Here is some of the latest footage.. we were only out there an hour and I have a couple things to do that will make it more stable.. good stuff though. .

looking for a license / industry support to get this out there.. hit me up if your interested..

Wanted to bump this back up. Spoke to hank and he's sending me one this week to try out. Can't wait to try this out. Over the last few weeks I have tried a few different rope mounts and wasn't happy with any of them. This one really seems like it might be pretty close to what I'm looking for.

• Baller

Here is my version (simple PVC Tee)- I think there was a link to my slalom video a while back in this thread- here is a wake clip with slo-mo added:

You can kind of see the setup on the rope in this clip taken from a tube: