SUP Rippin

liquid d

• Baller
I just don't get it guys! Yaah, it looks fun and cool but, seriously, where is the thrill. I need buoys! This to me is a friggin driving range! "Wow, you hit that ball awesome! Look at how far it went....down the driving range fairway." Unless you are hitting to a green protected by a bunker on the left and water on the right, with 50 bucks riding on whether you get it close enough to two-putt, I see no thrill!!! My name is Douglas Brady and I am a buoyaholic.

• Baller
Well, have you ever seen a longboard skateboarder with a "street paddle"? What absolute douchebaggery. Paddle is unnecessary, yet there it is because for some reason they think it's cool. So I'm sure there is some dips--t trying to be all "core" and impress the chicks by supping behind a boat somewhere. I guarantee it.

• Baller
That, right there, is the basis of SUP popularity. Which is more difficult? Paddling in on your own power on a performance short board, then popping up to your feet in position to do something on the wave OR standing on top of a 12-foot long, 4-inch thick, 2-foot wide aircraft carrier and paddling in way, way outside while the wave is just starting to stand up? Kinda like, what is easier? Getting up on a high performance slalom and running the course or getting up on a wakeboard and jumping the wake? A large percentage will opt for the easier activity then when the sport blows up, figure out a way to say that it's cool.

• Baller
They only hate when SUPs start to invade spots w established pecking orders and start hogging waves. Guys that started as surfers then switch to SUP generally know whats up and go elsewhere or take their proper spot. Problem is most never surfed first.

• Baller

Surfers right of way is 'first on the wave', or 'closest to where it is breaking', so traditional surfers hate the paddle guys because they can catch the waves further outside and snake the wave. They also paddle out faster and catch more waves as a result.

Surfers have traditionally had the same hate on for kayak surfers for the same reason.