Quadrocopter + GoPro 3.

addkerr

• Baller
Well the secret to not putting it at the bottom of the lake is to learn how to fly it then pray for no failures in the air. I am pretty sure I won't fly over open water, I think I will just stick to the private sites that I know where the bottom is.

• Baller
@rwskier I think my friend TinkerManRC said that once just before he crashed one of his Leerjets. Seems to me Tim was messing with the Quad also a while back. Is also a good source of RC parts. Lives in MCO though. Maybe not.

• Baller

One of my relative uses a similar rig to make a living. His website: camerawings.com. If you can get him to slow down for a minute he'll tell you all about it. He builds his own and has one of the longest flying multi-rotors in the world.

Here's one he did of the San Marcos river near next years nationals at San Marcos River Ranch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uANduVgMDYU

• Baller

What we need are the coordinate-programmable quadcoptors. Program in the skier's path, the lake, whatever you want, then let it fly itself and film. Some of these things are stupid fast and maneuverable.

• Baller
I just ordered a Drift HD Ghost camera, with the hope of making an awesome ski video at my friend's new perfect ski lake in N FL. The Ghost seemed to offer some advantages over the GoPro -- we'll see! I have been looking for a RC helicopter that can handle the weight of the camera (0.4 lbs) and fly up to 34/36 mph even in winds up to say 10 mph. Being able to program in a set speed (and, ideally, the elevation over the lake level) would be great!

• Baller
According to my research on-line (not verified yet...) the "base" Ghost camera is waterproof down to 10' (my friend's ski lake is 7' deep) and includes a 2" LCD screen; the GoPro needs additional add-ons for those features. The Ghost lens can rotate, for flexibility when mounting (yet still keep the horizon horizontal). And I think the Ghost remote (on/off from a waterproof wrist strap) will be good for a skier to wear and control the camera.

• Baller
One more thing I liked about the Ghost is that it has a standard 1/4" mount built-in, where I believe the Hero has it's own proprietary mounting systems you have to buy separately. I am also interested in costs of 'copters. You can get a RC 'copter cheap, but the ones I have seen would not have the key abilities we skiers will need for great shots (ability to handle some wind, speed up to 36mph (carring camera payload up to 1/2 lb), range of RC control up to 2000' to pilot from one end of the course if desired).

• Baller

@E_T The one that I have was about $650.00 be fore the transmitter. Transmitters are anywhere from $125 to $450 depending on what you what. they are certainly not cheap and have a learning curve as how to fly them.

The range is there to fly all the way down the lake but you would never be able to see which way it is flying that far away with having first person view camera on board.

• Baller

I agree with @Jibbo those machines are amazing and certainly can keep up with the boat but this is not an inexpensive toy either.

Here is a showreel for some locals guys, amazing what can be done with these things.

• Baller

Addkerr -Couldn't help but notice that the first half of your video was filmed on the "Really" Big Mountain. I used to live there and we just got back the middle of February. Who do you soft water ski with around there?

Mike Gwiazdon, Doug Reid & Duke Collins are good friends...