What would you pay for a 2008 SN 196?

aswinter05

• Baller

I know a lot of you on here have 196's w/ zero off.

I've got an opportunity to pull the trigger on a dandy.

Boat is nearly flawless. almost 500 hours. Zero off, Limited Edition, 422 prop, amazing trailer.

What would you pay? Thanks ballers

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Hmmmmmmm...... if I could only see what the boat market is going to look like in 5 years......

I may be able to get this one at $31K, which I thought was a good price considering the condition. But now ya'll have me thinking I should probably back off

• Baller
I paid $27k for my '08LE (125 hours); sold it for $30k the same year - 2011. I personally think anyone paying in the $30's for one is nuts, but it's happened more than a few times recently. I have a personal hunch that pattern is coming to end, but I could be wrong. I'm very curious to see what the new Prostar will do to the market. If it's all we hope and hear, there could a fleet of 2010-2013 197's out there with tanked values, which wouldn't help late-model 196 prices. A crystal ball would be nice to have right now.

• Baller
My opinion is that the 196 market is at a high point right now. But on the other hand it is about your only ZO option that has a great wake for around 30k. Crazy to think a 5 yr old boat can still bring that kind of jack but that is the market

• Baller_
@aswinter You can thank the 200 for the price change since 2010. The boat your looking at is probably our 08. Blue Black with about 500 hours. Cant go wrong with it. You will not get it for 29 and you will not find an 08 196 under 500 hours for 29. That is a very hard boat to find right now due to the cost of new ZO boats and the fact that the 196 is better than all of the rest. People look at the cost of going new and realize they already have a top of the line boat in the 196 and just decide to keep what they have. We now have an 09 and will probably keep it for a very long time.

• Baller

I believe the 196 took a hit initially when the 200 came out - same thing occured to 1995-96 hulls in 1997 when the TSC hull first appeared. The difference from 1997 is the significant price jump of the new hull that eventually led to the stabilization of the 196 pricing and as the supply of boats has diminished, the value has appreciated accordingly. Market forces - it's an amazing thing to behold.

As a pure slalom tractor, the 196 is hard to beat....at any price.

• Baller

Let's say CC decided to produce the 196 again as a bare bones training and/or tournament boat. What kind of 200 cannibalization do you think there would be? Would a decent percentage of the promo team go 196? Obviously the price would dictate the answer quite a bit, which leads me to this... would it even still be possible for CC to sell them for $40k-ish, give or take, and still make a profit?

I've wondered the same with MB boats. I imagine they still own the '91-'94 Prostar molds? Could they be pulled out of storage to build an entry level tow tractor on the "cheap"? I ran my '91 Prostar along side my bro's 200 all last summer, and that MC hull is still no slouch. Pop in an Excal with ZO, and bada bing!

• Baller

@crashman that guy has a very nice boat for sale...but I think swc5150 hits it on the head in that forum...either newer SN196 w/ZO or take the best condition TSC hull one can find.

I have a '00 196 with GT40. Why would I buy a '06? My buddy has a '97 w/GT40...why would he want an '06 (ok, cuz his doesn't run worth a shit). Ooh, I'm sending him that link...I want him in a nicely priced '06!

I'm not a planet nautiquer...anyone got an email to PM me for the seller? Maybe I can get my buddy to consider it. THX

• Baller
@aswinter05 Just ship it! I can vouch for that boat. I had it in my garage until I sold it and the guy who bought it from me garage keeps it too. While I had it I put the stereo, amp and sub in, added the stargazer and tested props, ending up with the Acme 470 3 blade that's on it. Plus, I had the trailer built new in 08.

• Baller
yea... there's something about not being able to drive the boat and talk to the previous owner in person that makes me uneasy. I'm sure 99 times out of 100 i'd be fine with having a $22K boat shipped to me and the engine, gelcoat, and vinyl be in good shape. It's that 1 time out of 100 that scares the poop outta me.

• Baller
@aswinter05, I totally agree. That's why I waited to find a boat within driving distance. So glad I did as its been great so far. I got screwed buying a boat sight unseen once and never again. It was not to my standards so I sold it right away at a $3000 loss. I wasn't going to screw someone else. It was mechanically sound but the interior and gel was not as described. Pictures don't always show the reality

@aswinter05 road trip! 890 miles from Indy to Dallas. It would be worth it just to get a few pulls since the weather sucks so bad here in Indiana and if the boat is to your liking you would save a ton over a 200. But of course I do want you to get a 200 so I can meet up with you and ski it.

• Baller
@Andy - good move. The main factor most boat buyers fail to consider is not what the boat costs to buy but what the boat costs to own. If you have $25 invested in the 2005 after upgrading it to ZO then keep it for 5 years, what would its value be? $20k? OK, you've lost $5k in value over 5 years. Try that with a 2013 SN200 or comparable boat. I never look at the cost to purchase. I focus on the resale value in 1,2 or 5 years and from that, determine the true cost of ownership. Oh, and cost of money on $25k is less than $45-50k.

With what the 196 market is doing right now I'm a little surprised the Carbon Pros have been sitting around on the market for so long. But then again I've never been in a Carbon Pro. If I were in the market for a low hours ZO slalom tractor but didn't want to pop for a 200 it looks like something like Dave's CP would be a good option. I'm just glad I don't ski tournaments so I don't have to care about ZO and thus can keep my GT-40 forever.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Promo_Boat&postid=18048

• Baller

@crashman if I needed a ZO tractor today...I would be hard pressed not to hit up @waterskigirl. If I remember right they wrap their ski school boat, then unwrap and sell each year. Last year they had a 2011 that racked up big hours in one season but was asking something like $25K at season's end.

A one year old ZO equipped slalom tug for $25K is pretty cool. As long as it's maintained well I really don't care about the 800 hrs given I put on about 50/yr. Having said that given I picked up my 196 w/84 hours on it...she's got a LONG way to go before worn out.

• Baller

@Andy That is a really good boat. I haven't seen it in a while but the guy who bought it was meticulous and I know for a fact it was pristine when I sold it. Everyone loved skiing behind it and the color combo is the best I've ever had. If you want other pics, I still have outside pics I can send to you.

FWIW, I have nothing to do with the seller. I just know that's a good boat and would hate for someone to miss out on it.