My Ski Story

Bakinblak

My ski story. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpQQIF0iBcM

Note: I dont mean to directly insult the skis other companies make. If someone had lent me a D3 or a Goode I'd probably be riding those. What I really meant to do was emphasize how different the ski I chose felt from the other skis on the market and credit the people and design behind the Elite ski and the feelings it gave me and how it led me to continue skiing past summer 2011.

@rodltg2 Jalen Rose commented on the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary Fab 5. He said that his comments about Duke, Christian Laetner and Grant Hill were not how he feel now but rather how he felt when he was a freshman at Michigan, and thus thats what made it a good documentary. The way the Fab 5 spoke was as if they were freshmen throughout the whole documentary, not old men coming to terms.

How I spoke throughout that video was how I felt the summer 2011. Its hammed up a little by the usual "classroom theater" I do to keep kids attention but overall its bringing myself back to that summer and how awesome it felt to be riding around everywhere. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to go skiing or tubing after school but I never did it, and that summer I was. I dont snap back into present day until I start addressing Andy Mapple and his company to make an RTM version of their ski. Like I said he really sold me on the RTM process, so now I cant be sold back on a typical compression molded process.

What Im really happy about is how smoothely what i said came out. I tried making the gate video two days ago and it was super hard to address the camera and keep my thoughts flowing in a good way. I dont really trip over my words (turn like a dime) and I explain things in good detail to leave the viewe with the correct story. Also, the way I move the camera around and pace it was excellent. I've watched it about 5 times and I really liked how it came out. I didnt know I could do it that good.

@MS HAHA. We heard that there might be nuclear war tomorrow or the next day. Everyone here is wondering whats for dinner.

• Baller
@bakinblak With your vast knowledge about all things slalom, you should definitely talk to @Horton about writing a blog on BoS. Also, would you be willing to give me lessons if I flew to North Korea? Not skiing lessons, but rather video editing lessons. Thanks in advance

• Baller_
So could just be my phone but had to laugh at the sound track being behind the mouth moving. Looked just like a Godzilla film. The Korien accent and a few words here and ther just topped it off. Even the film style mimicked some of the big lizard flicks.

• Baller

@Bakinblak I think the late and great Roger Ebert could summarize your video a bit better than I could:

Your video arrived on this mortal coil from that level and we expect your speech to flow in heavenly eloquence. But when you open your little mouth, what do we hear? Diaper gravy.

Shane im aware adam is no longer there. He left right after the 33 started production. Mentioning Adam cord and Obrien was a means of thanks for making the Elite. Notice I only mentioned Andy and AM skis (i guess its obly mapple skis now) when i got to my request.

Sans Rival and Razor offer RTM skis but they are not gloss finished Fisher Reflex dont have and they that scooped out nose which i thought was really innovative. I want glossy RTM and a scooped out nose amd i trust Andy to make it.

I also know they ditched RTM skis. THEREFORE I MADE THE VIDEO asking them to give me what i want so i can give them the money i want to give them. I also brought it back on Andy telling him that he personally sold me on the RTM production prossess and i havent been resold on the compression molding process.

If you pay attention to the video closely youll notice a lot of intelligent decisions like my quick pause to explain servicie because you dont know what it is and my decision to stop myself when i said the ski looked like ot was from the future which was a bad idea because i didnt mention that earlier and i didnt want to sound rambling and incoherent.

I wish i would have focused more on the scooped nose and said something other than awesome or amazing...but there was no script and having 12 minutes of continuous footage and a pretty good cut was good enough for me. I think i did 20 takes or so for the other video and you can hear it in my voice.

For those you enjoyed the video youre welcome i made it for you and the makers of the Elite. For those nitpicking it i believe i already addressed the issues above. Those who just dont like it i can respect that its just not your style.

Parody is the highest form of flattery. I like how he had the paper notes of so he knew what to say. The fact that he spend time to take notes make a video and upload it speaks a lot.

Thanks Brady. Looks like youve mastered the video editing techniques. Youre a quick learner.

• Baller

@Brady, ski smell can open a whole new market segment, holy crap. Brillant! Maybe they can add raspberry, cherry, or my favorite, grape, aroma to the gelcoat of a ski or boat, wow, this can be huge...

Smells like big spray!

• Baller

@bakinblak I take it you have not seen a Sans Rival in person. It is one of the best looking skis on the market. The finish on it is next to none with its blue clear coat.

The Fisher did/Razor does have a high gloss finish on the ski.

I have seen a sans rival in person but i havent inspected it too closely. The bottom of the ski isnt gloss and thanks for informing me that its not rtm.

The razor has a matte finish. I was just at a shop last weekend that sells all the razor skis in the country. If the razor does have a high gloss finish then we have different definitions of what a gloss finish is.

• Baller

@Backinblak The Razor may not have a gloss finish on the bottom, but that matte finish is actually on purpose there is more to the bottom of the razor than meets the eye I will tell you that. I would share more, but I don't know if its common knowledge.... The top for sure is gloss.

I know what a gloss finish is... I have owned 3 elites and was attracted to it because of the design, RTM, cupped nose ect. I understand that, but is is still dated, but also ahead of its time in some ways. You think the Elite is a cool looking ski, check out the Quattro...

http://waterskimag.com/files/2010/10/obrien-elite-quattro-slalom-ski-600x367.jpg

• Baller
Gloss on the bottom is not necessarily indicative of performance. Fisher's, while RTM, had bead blasted bottoms to a certain texture. Razors appear to have same finish. Same reason we used a "speed laquer" on our drag boats years ago. To change the laminar flow across the bottom.

I dont know much about the quattro. It just appears to be the second tier or sister to the alpha the same way the S2 is to the A2. Ill check out the razors bottom again.

gloss finish isnt indicative of performance but id imagine a smoothe gloss finish shoots you through the water faster than a matte finish thus my consumer demand.

Can you tell me more about the sans rival production process and how the elite is dated. I understand that its no longer sold, fell out of favor with skiers and didnt light up obriens profits like they hoped it would but what makes it old?

• Administrators

Quattro was not second tier

S2 is not second tier to A2

Ultra smooth could be more drag than less smooth. .. hydrodynamics is a complex science

SansRival is compression molded.the finish work on the ski is amazing