Install a grease fiiting on rudder port?

JC McCavit

Go down to NAPA and buy a standard grease zerk. Don't forget to get the right size drill and tap, its not a standard bolt thread on the zerk. It's well worth the effort. You'll be amazed at how much better she'll steer.

Had one for years, but only greased it on rare occasions as the rudder bush is buried down behind the fuel tank.

Removed it & put in an 18" remote grease hose so it's now easily accessible.

Remote hose stockist should be easy to find.

It's basically a grease gun hose. Easiest thing to to is take the grease nipple to a supplier & they'll find everything you need to fit.

Bearing Centres are a good place to go, type that stocks heaps of bearings, filters, belts & pulleys etc.

Here's one like I used, just needed a female bush on the end & a grease nipple:-

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-flexible-grease-hose-92657.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13651.jpg

• Baller_
Threads are normally 1/4" NPT for grease zerks but straight threaded ones are also available. If you don't want to order or go to your local Harbor Freight and end up buying another $100 in cheap tools, you could probably get the fitting and hose from a local auto parts store:) PS: they do have cheap 8" digital calipers!

@JC McCavit. May I suggest an alternative. My factory rudder port on my 2002 s/n was one of the years that did not have a zerk fitting, I was told due to some environmental problem/ requirement with a lack if rubber seal containment issues. But the 196 series from around 2004 through 2009 did have a factory zerk in the rudder port, along with rubber O rings that the non zerk ports did not have. I made a call to the natique, and was told that my 2002 port is an exact match to the 2004-2009 series, and they highly recommended for me to buy and install the updated port with the factory zerk and O rings, which would be much better than drilling, tapping, and installing a zerk to a port without O rings. I did just this, had my local dealer do the instal, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. There may be an updated port with a zerk/O ring available for your year of s/n. I hope this helps, good luck.

• Baller
I had a 2002 SN with no port and twice a year or so, I would simply drop the rudder and clean and grease the port. I never installed a zerk because I noticed that the grease after a few months tends to turn into a sort of scale and I'm not sure just pumping new grease in there would be as effective as dropping, cleaning and re-greasing. The whole process took me like 30 minutes twice a year...