Ski Repair

mateja

I noticed a small ding on the bottom of my S2 the other day. It's maybe about 1/16th of an inch deep. I doubt it's really going to effect the performance of the ski but it's probably a good idea to try to fill in the ding and smooth out the surface.

Anyone have any suggestions on what type of epoxy or other material that would be useful here?

@Horton - it's maybe 1/16th to 1/8th inch in diameter. I skiied on it last week and didn't notice any issue so I'm thinking I'll be good to go for the season but ideally I like the idea of repairing it somehow if possible.

• Baller

Most ski companies will fix er up, but you would be down while the ski is in the shop.

I would do what MS suggests. Have done that too many times (the biggest was a big chunk off the tip from a handle pop). If you ski a black ski, JB is ok, then black magic marker to blend in. If it is a red ski or other color, Marine Tex white is just as good, and you can use any color marker to blend in.

If the core is exposed and you don't want to fix just yet, put some clear nail polish on it. I have carried one forever to patch emergencies at the lake.

• Baller_

Saw this recently as I'm in the process of fixing up a beat up surf board. Have a tube ordered and on the way. No idea if it's appropriate for the above problem but I think it could have rail and sidewall applications for skies.

• Baller

If it's down to the core, at least seal it so water can't wreak havoc on the rest of the ski. It will probably be fine for a while but whatever you decide to do, just keep an eye on it. I'd highly recommend to take a quick look at it before using it each day and make sure it hasn't started cracking out of of the ding. It's not going to snap all of a sudden under normal skiing loads but if it starts to crack and you let it continue, it could break on you. The crack would likely start after a bad fall so pay closer attention to the ski then.

Under the front foot is better than in front of the front foot. The binding should help keep it together but like I said before...keep an eye on it.

• Baller
Marine tex works really well too. If you want to get a smooth finish without sanding; use wax paper or some of that thin plastic they used to use on overhead projectors. You can fill the void and then press the material down and tape it. Let it dry as recommended; then the wax paper or plastic (I really prefer the plastic) should come right off and leave a smooth finish with minimal sanding.