Pulling out at the 55s

• Baller
How many out there are pulling out with your ski at the 55s forgoing the glide and doing more of a turn buoy gate shot to get angle and speed into 1 ball? Timing issues, pros and cons with this? I have struggled with angle on 1 ball and getting into a hard lean from the glide stance and was going to try this Friday.

What about a jump cut style pullout?! pull out to the right then go left, simulate a turn and then your heading through the gates and on the way to one ball. Hmm I Havnt tried it yet but one day I will.

• Baller
@cragginshred My thought is that a skier at your level, trying to improve, needs consistency and repeatability. The people who do a really nice one handed, late pullout gate took a long, long time to get to that consistency. There is no way for you to get that consistency at this stage in the game. So I would stay with a conventional gate. Time your pullout so you make your move out when the bow is still half a boat away from 55s, pullout long and slow, get 2 boat widths wider than the 2/4/6 buoy line, and start to roll in half a boat length before the boat bow gets to the gates. You can repeat that gate every single time. Don't worry about your position in relation to the gates. Once you get your move out and move in down, then you can go back and adjust. If you find you're missing the gate early 2 ft to the right, then move the point where you roll out 2 ft closer to the 55s.

• Baller

I agree with @ShaneH. Try also to get balanced in your ski when gliding, not falling into the inside edge before initiating the turn.

Also, "getting into a hard lean from the glide stance" is not what you want to focus on or try to achieve. You want to have your ski turning and getting angle, thus enabling a powerful and stacked position behind the boat. Loading hard at the turn in will usually result in giving back at the wake. DO NOT try to look like Nate...

Finally. as a general principle (I, at least, am not an exception...), when over 35, your ability to effectively fix/change things in the course is restricted to an average of less than 1 at a time...

• Baller

I agree with Shane. My LFF ski bud wasted weeks on the one hand gate, and up here, that is too much of our summer to waste. He struggled to run 35 with one hand and the first set going back to a two hand gate, after some coaching, got deep into 38. Never has gone back to one hand.

The key is how good you are at generating angle. I think the two handed gives you more control and ability to get into correct position. It has been proven that you can start a few feet outside the wake and run 32 off, so starts really become critical in my mind, at very short rope.

• Baller
Three of us at my lake have been getting regular coaching from another lake member. We are all at different stages but his advise on gates has produced results for all of us. The focus is on how you initiate a consistant balanced turn-in, not where. Start with your regular pullout, get wide of 2/4/6, now focus on being balanced over your front foot in the glide, this is key. Then to initiate the turn-in all you do is "think about touching" the inside edge of the front foot. (I think about grabbing the footbed with my toes... Your mental image my vary). This smooth initiation keeps you balanced and the front of the ski engaged. Adjust your turn-in point to suit the smooth angle you are now getting.

• Baller
Was one handed for several years, Chet Raley talked me out of it winter before last. His statement to me was that it is good for some and not for others, I am an "other". I went back to glide and go, feels like it is much more consistant and repeatable.

• Administrators
I took a set with Wim today. He backed up my gate a lot. Pulling out when the pylon is at 55s and minimal upper body movement at full width. ... more later.

• Baller
Skiing today I had a great 1st pass pulling out at the 55's but going back and forth I agree that at my 'level' of skiing I need the most consistency which would be going back to the glide via pull out when the transom passes through the 55's. The other way works too! Just less consistent.

@baja, and others..really good info. I have been working on my slow, wide pull out, glide with slight left edge, and I just incorporated your touching the right edge on the "in". Also, it has helped my entrance gates success, to look at when the boat enters the gates. Thanks to Gordon, and the gang who helped me get my first 28mph, 15 off full passes this week.

• Baller_
@teammalibu I am skiing with my Aqua Sphere suit now and will go with the bald spray leg tonight for the first time. I switched to a 2 handed gate so I may need you to tell me whats going on. I only have about 10 sets in but 35 is going down pretty easy.