HELP! Leaking Impeller Pump on Indmar 350 Monsoon

skibug

• Baller
My impeller pump is leaking out the back side pretty bad. I am assuming it is the shft bearing or seal that has failed. Any one ever have this issue? Can I run it through the week end without doing any more damage? Is it difficult to replace?

• Baller
Had that happen on my 93 Hydrodyne Comp. Wasn't hard to do. Remove and replace. I used mine for 3-4 days like that but kept a very close eye on the water temp and amount of leakage. If there is a complete failure you will be paddling or getting towed in. Wasn't a factor for me since the course is right out in front of the house.

• Baller
@skibug, probably the rear seal; attached is a step by step I created when I replaced the one on my 2005 PS197 350 MCX; I would imagine yours is similar; it took about 45mins. As long as an ample supply of water is circulating through your pump/engine (check temp gauge often), you may be OK for running it a bit longer, but I am not an expert.

• Baller

@thager, @mac, thanks for the feedback. Looks like I am going to replace the seal at first go, it is much cheaper than the whole pump assembly. I am guessing it is the seal as mac suggested.

• Baller
I put new bearings and seal in mine last year no problems since. I ordered the parts online. Those pumps are used on all kinds of boats. Parts are common. Mine had a part number on the front cover.

• Baller_
The seal is propitiatory and you can (Gulp!) get it a Ski Dim! other wise the bearings you can get at any industrial machine supply store. A good arbor press is needed to pull the unit down and reinstall the parts.

• Baller
@Jody_Seal, Thanks. I bought a seal today and that did the trick....sort of.....believe it or not....IT STOPPED LEAKING ON ITS OWN!! Sure enough, I didn't replace anything. We were going to do it after we finished skiing tomorrow; but, it leaked for about 1 set and then stop all together for the next 5 -6 sets and was not leaking when we left the lake today. I just don't get it. Could there have been some type of junk in the seal and then it got flushed out? Beats me.