Dangerous equipment colors

• Baller
Just curious if anyone else is beating their head against the wall the last however many years trying to figure out what the mfrs are thinking. Seems like it's really hard to find a men's vest that isn't all black. Not the best thing to be floating in on a brown river on an overcast day when a 30' Sea Ray comes around the bend. Most skiers are on public water so this is something to think about. Womens' vests are a little better but a guy could get beat up for wearing teal and pink with purple straps. The motorcycling world has gone the same way - all the helmets are black or gray and you have to special order a white one at most dealers. I say make more skis that look like the Lime A3 and bring back the bright yellows and oranges in the vests. A little nostalgia and safer. OK, off the soap box for now.

• Baller
@XR6Hurricane, just as a comment, an Eagle competition vest was not designed for and is not what you should be using when skiing where a 30' Sea Ray might be a safety issue...

• Baller

I also want something Else than black.

All training stuff that shoul be visuable in traffic etc is only available in black.

We sometimes ski when it is rather dark so an orange west would be perfect.

why not set up a poll directed to manufactors?

• Baller
@ral I'm not talking about competition vests...I'm talking the mainstream Coast Guard approved neoprene vests sold for watersports. There are some out there with just a touch of color in them but very rare. You can of course get a red nylon one from Walmart for $14.99 but it is bulkier and not as durable.

• Baller
You have to be aware on the water at all times. When I fall down in public water I am looking in all directions for other boats. You can always lift and wave your ski in the air to ensure the Wally's can see you. If a drunk idiot is going to run over you he will do it no matter what color you are wearing.

"Do Better..."

• Baller

No one else has said it but I personally don't let my friends sit in the water unattended when there is a lot of boat traffic. If a boat is coming towards someone who just fell, to hell with rollers! I'm racing back to the skier and put my boat in between them.

Black, yellow, flashing neon strobe lights...it doesn't matter what color it is when someone isn't looking or has their vision blocked.

• Baller

I didn't expect anyone to understand where I was coming from so no big deal. I'm not some extremist safety nut. All I'm saying is I remember when the vests were readily available in more visible colors and now very few are. No matter how careful you are, things still happen and I still say that making yourself more visible can prevent accidents.

And oh yeah, I love brunettes.

• Baller

You really would only need the shoulders to be bright. Unless your treading water like a water polo player , you wouldn't see much of the vest anyway.

On another note, I don't think I would want to ski in the same waterway that's frequented by 30' Sea Rays.

• Baller
If it is that busy that my kid needed to be seen in the water with a flag coming out of their back, there is no way I would let them ski.....That is just a bad idea, yet another safety device for really stupid people.

"Do Better..."