3 college skiers involved in serious accident on way to collegiate all stars

ForrestGump

• Baller
At 6:30 this morning 3 Texas A&M students(Scott Mccormick, Will Stevenson, and Amanda Hoffman) on their way to the Collegiate All Stars ski tournament in North Carolina had a very serious accident in Mississippi. Scott and Will were in front and belted in, but Amanda was asleep in the back seat without a seat belt. Amanda was ejected when the vehicle rolled 2 1/2 times. She's currently in a coma in critical condition. Scott has a fractured vertebrate in his back. There are more than a few BOS members from the South Central Region who have watched these kids grow up on and off the water. Please keep them and their families in your thoughts and prayers.

• Baller
Will's parents just happened to be in Arkansas(about 4 hours away)on the way back from vacation in Tennessee, so they jumped in the truck and have already made it to the hospital in Jackson. So at least there's some family there now.

• Baller
An awesome thing to see is that a group of collegiate skiers came to Jackson and are taking turns staying at the hospital. Amanda had an open skull fracture and thus infection and swelling are a huge concern. In the last 12 hours there have been some good signs of the swelling going down, though, but she's still critical.

There is a Facebook page set up for those that want to follow her condition. There is also information on her page for anyone who wishes to donate money to her mom (single mother, this is her only child) to help out with expenses. Amanda Hoffman Condition Update is the page name.

Hey Ballers, I note that over 6000 of us have viewed this forum post to date. I think it would be a great show of support to Amanda and her family if each of you with a Facebook account would go and Like Amanda's page. There is currently 870 likes on her status page. Lets show her family how big her water skiing family is by moving that Like number into the thousands!

A fund has been set up to help cover medical bill and other expenses. I know a lot of people have already donated to the Joe Skier for the ATL Pro-AM. Let show the Hoffman family that we care just as much for our college athletes as well.A check can be sent payable to "The Amanda Hoffman Fund" in care of Kelly Stevenson. Checks can be sent to: 10664 House Road, Conroe, Texas 77304

Or donate online at:

http://www.gofundme.com/2ze3vc

@Horton can we get something on the home page or sticky?

• Administrators

if somebody with art skills will build me a banner 160 pixels square I'll put it on the page and link to the fund.

also if somebody connected with the family will compose a paragraph or two I will post it on the front page

the fund has raised 1000 dollars already today.

• Baller
This also seems to be one of those cases where the USAWS supplementary insurance can be important. "Traveling to/from a sanctioned event" right? Has someone made sure they get the appropriate forms filled out, etc?

• Baller
I'm sad to report that Amanda was removed from life support earlier today and has passed away. Please, keep all of these kids and their families, as well as all of the members of the Texas A&M ski team in your thoughts and prayers.

• Baller
My thoughts and prayers are going out to Amanda's family and friends. I never got to meet or even ski against Amanda but the time I spent with her friends and hearing how they talked about her truly showed me what kind of person she was. I know she will be missed all over the skiing community. Such a sad day.

• Baller
In the last few weeks I got to know Amanda from the comments and updates on her Facebook page and here on BOS. I feel like we have lost an incredible person who shared our passion. We have all traveled to a water ski tournament or to take a ski ride at the lake. We all have that connection which for some reason makes this tragedy even harder to accept. My sincere sympathy to her family, friends and skiers who personally knew Amanda.