Events Added To 2013 GOODE Nationals

jrs

The Ski Club of the Palm Beaches, host of the 71st GOODE Water Ski National Championships, is teaming up with Eagle Sports, GOODE, Centurion, Masterline USA and Nautique in bringing some additional events to the 2013 Nationals, which will be held Aug. 13-17 at Okeeheelee Park in West Palm Beach, Fla.

On Wednesday, Aug. 14, Nautique, Eagle Sports and Masterline USA will sponsor the Nautique/Eagle Slalom Swerve, which will pit the top-two finishers from the Nationals in the Boys 2/Girls 2, Boys 3/Girls 3, Women 1/Men 1 and Open Men/Open Women slalom divisions in a head-to-head (handicapped format) competition. Prizes from Eagle Sports will be provided to each skier, while the Open winners will receive a cash-prize award from Nautique. If one of the top-two finishers cannot participate, the next-place finisher will be invited to participate. The event will take place at approximately 4 p.m. (at the conclusion of the day’s events) on the Main (North-South) Slalom Lake.

On Saturday, Aug. 17, Centurion, GOODE and Masterline USA will sponsor the Centurion/GOODE Dual Boats Slalom Swerve, which will pit the top-four finishers from the Nationals in the Men 3, Men 4, Men 5 and Masters Men slalom divisions in a head-to-head competition featuring two skiers and two boats on two courses running side-by-side at the same time. First-place wins a GOODE ski; second place wins $600; and third place wins $400. If one of the top-four finishers cannot participate, the next-place finisher will be invited to participate. The event will take place at approximately 4 p.m. (at the conclusion of the day’s events) on the Main (North-South) Slalom Lake.

These events are in addition to the Nautique Big Dawg World Tour Championship, which will take place under the lights at Okeeheelee Park on Friday evening, Aug. 16.

That sounds about right, I think I remember reading some threads about why there are not many M2 skiers at regionals and nationals. I am not saying that including M2 in this competition would all the sudden increase the nationals entries to 100 skiers, but it may help draw more of the top skiers in the division and make for a better competition.

But then again we don't buy skis or have kids that buy skis so who cares

• Baller

I am in M3 and am still tight. Maybe that is reason I would still like to be in M2/36 mph! Who woulda thunk it...

On a serious note: I agree with BMiller. Having the BD finals as a part of Nats is a big incentive for us old guys. 3 rides minimum for you time and travel costs sure beats 1set.

The real reason is that we needed to keep it to 16 skiers for head to head. We want to promote water skiing to the younger groups and keep them excited so they will stay in the sport. The layout of this event will end up with a junior skier skiing against an adult (maybe Open) for the final 2. How cool would it be for a G2 skier to go up against a Open Men skier and win. I want a photo of that podium! There was never any thought to keep M2/W2 out. These events are the start of making the Nationals more exciting for all to attend. As President of the Ski Club of the Palm Beaches, I'm proud of everyone that has worked to make this happen. Charlotte Melchers has been the key organizer of these events as well as the Nationals. The sponsors have shown fantastic support!