Thoughts on a used boat

coskier

• Baller
That is a lot of money for that year and model boat, i would think you could find one under 15k. If you are looking for strictly a slalom boat you can get a similar vintage SN for that price (and if you are willing to travel even less), the SN tracks and skis better in my opinion.

• Baller

agree with @bdougherty. It depends what you want out of the new boat. Will you be using it for slalom? Or will you be using it for various watersports?

If that Malibu is in your price range then you could definitely find a SN 196 of the same year for less money and a HECK of a slalom pull. Also a cheap and handy alternative to a wakeboard tower is a "Fly High Pole".

• Baller
I bought a used 99 response with very low hours for 14K. Overall I'm happy with it but I had to put a lot money in it. It had been unused for several years. Looking back I probably would rather paid more for a boat that had a lot of extras an speed controls.

• Baller

depending on hours and condition, somewhere around 15k is reasonable & they are great boats, very well made, only a step behind mastercraft and nautique, but full composite hull and stringers should last a lifetime. the 99 as mentioned has the trunk and the Diamond sv23 hull, which is only slightly modified today on the limited build RLX (cut diamond) & They are only a hair behind the TXI for skiing and tracking still. one of the best inboard barefoot boats ever made as well... can't see if it has a wedge, but that can be added, which turns it into a capable wake boat.

he mentions a 351 motor in the ad, but most of the malibu's of that era came with 350s, check its not a typo, and what powerplant it has. There was a 350 carb'd 310hp, throttle body EFI, and MPI Monsoon motor. all are good, the EFI is likely the better buy for resale. never did have a problem with the carb'd 310 I had though.

• Baller
@killer I agree that they are pretty good skiing boats but they are no where near the TXi as far as tracking and skiing. Last year I skied behind a 2010 response lx which if I am not mistaken has the same or very similar hull as a 99. This year my ski partner has a promo TXi. The TXi tracks way better and is one of the best skiing boats I have ever been behind.

For a good family friendly ski boat, I think the Response LX or LXI are the way to go. Depending on hours that seems to be on par for prices that I've seen in CA. I'm a slower speed skier and feel like the LX wake is better than the SN 206 (but the SN 196 is so far the friendliest I've ever skied behind). The wedge is a great way to get a slightly larger wake for wakeboarding or surfing. The free board on the Response seems to be a bit higher than some of the other DD of that era (safety for the family).

But that ad scares me a little. A 351? I don't like the fact that there are small pictures. His grammar is only a step worse than mine (that is scary). Some of the pictures have the Malibu decal on the side, others don't. All the new things he replaced make me a little suspect of him trying to offload a problem. If you are really interested I'd ask for better pictures before even driving out there. I would also not even look at it unless you agreed upon a water test.

• Baller_
There are some inaccuracies in the ad. Malibu's of that era only were fitted with a GM engine, so it would be a 350, either carbed or FI depending on which one. Indmar was the marinizer of choice. Not that I can say for certain, but the exhaust leak or water leak issue may be the HDS system which is prone to leaking over time so you will want details on the fix described in the ad. There is a fix for it if needed. There are several Malibu RLX's on the lake and all run very well with few problems. An RLX offers a top notch ski wake and an excellent barefoot wake but ski it before you buy as everybody has their opinion on what boat offers the wake of choice.

• Baller

@gregy my two cents is construction is first rate. Lower end materials were used for carpet, padding in the seats, dash (not necessarily guages but the console).

Well cared for I think non issue depending on the importance of those concerns.