Clean up time

skidawg

• Baller
I assume you are talking about your boat? For me it always depends on how bad they are, the whit portions of my hull 3m cleaner wax always works, the black accents usually require harsher products. I usually start with polishing compound but the back of the boat ends up needing rubbing compound.

• Baller
The Boat Bling Hot Sauce works great for removing hard water stains. I had some at Cottonwood and JD tried it on his boat in June. Cleaned his black up perfectly. If the spots are too tough, Babe's makes a hard water spot remover that works really well but it takes every bit of wax off that might already be there.

• Baller

There is a local company in TX which claims their wipe down product retains your wax/polish. Google Hula Boat Care products. Tell them, Todd sent you. Maybe I'll get some free stuff.

All kidding aside, our local Malibu dealer uses their products for all their detail work. They say it is the best of all the products they've used.

Heard good things about Hula too.

I used Babes, now using Boat Bling Hot Sauce, had a free sample of Boat Candy.

They all work well for a wipe down after skiing. (I actually though the Boat Candy worked the best of the three, but only had a small sample to use).

If your boat has been neglected you probably will want to use an orbital or buffer to buff it out. I start with an oxidation remover (Meguires Oxidation remover), followed by two coats of polish (Starbrite w/ PFET), and a few coats of wax (3m pure wax). I try to do this once or twice a year. My boat has not seen a garage in 6 years and still looks beautiful.

• Baller
Kaboo is great for cleanup and removing water spots. It is not too hard on the fiberglass. Spray it on and use a soft bug sponge to clean it. Be sure and rinse good and rinse trailer too. Will need to wax after that.

• Baller
The key is: get the spots & oxidation removed, then wax/polish/seal. Once you are there, you want to use a spot remover which doesn't strip off your protective wax/polish/seal. Hula claims their spot remover does not harm the wax and actually helps bond with the polymers to enhance it... or something like that. I just can't get my ski buddy to put down the vinegar.

• Baller
+1 on the half vinegar/half water spray. Works best to spray while the hull is still wet but can also be used to remove spots once they develop. Been doing this since '99 on same boat and it looks new.

• Baller_
For light oxidation on my previous boat, I used the 3M Marine Cleaner and Wax. They have various formulas for the levels of oxidation. The directions are important, as you do not let it haze. You apply it and keep rubbing/buffing until it is gone. Work small sections at a time and completely. There is wax in it, so some sealing of the refurbished fiberglass occurs. But, I would still follow up with a coat of your favorite wax.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

What are you guys talking about? Isn't cleanup about kicking some ass on the water?! Boat fondling products are kind of creepy.

If you feel compelled to remove the protective coating of dirt and scale from your boat, don't mess around with wimpy products. After you have scraped the mats of algae off the bottom, undiluted pool (muriatic) acid does an okay job of removing the green stain. Careful that it doesn't remove your fingerprints or your fingers - or destroy your lungs. I mixed some wax with copper sulfate but the algae still grew after I waxed with that.

Unless you have two broken legs, cleaning the boat is a waste of ski time...

Eric

Eric