GPS for boat path

ToddF

It seems like after a record run the boat path plays a part, and it takes a while for it to be ratified.

Couldn't a gps system have an automatic rendering? Give back an instant acceptable or unacceptable result?

Then the record or the pass could be instantly ratified?

Or is there something out there already that I don't know about?

• Baller
GPS steering? I know it wouldn't be cheap but for the really big events it could eliminate driver error and a lot of arguments. Tractors can be accurate within 2 cm so I dont see why boats cant be.

• Baller

@splasheye I know what the cost of your jump measuring system is. What is the cost of Splashgates and the boat path system? A new website would be great for you!

For everyone's benefit, here is a demo video. It's pretty sweet. Any tournament that this is used at, the drivers better be on their game. :)

I have put a little research into this. 1 finding a GPS unit that pings fast enough. 2. Have a computer that can process all the info fast enough. 3 with the out out you need a servo that is fast enough to keep up with the digital input If you would want it to drive its self The hard part is programming it to drive with rhythm

Personally, I see very little wrong with the boat path. I have several months of experience using the latest SplashEye software, analyzing my own driving as well as others. It's a great product to help drivers become more skilled. One of the great benefits is that you can clearly see how each drivers style is different. The software provides so much detail and data, that the small nuances become much more evident.

Note that the picture above is not the same as the video as can be seen by the different boat driving diagrams in each.

Why I consider this a good boat path:

1. In the picture, 4 of the 6 buoys are within 6 cm (that's less than 2.5")

2. In the video, all buoys are within about 3" (best guess as the diagram has not been populated yet on the video)

3. The driver has rhythm. It's evident in both the picture and the video. Having a consistent rhythm is essential for the skier to know where the boat is.

4. The driver knows how to pick up the skier. His style is that he is always driving away from the skier and picks them up off the buoy going the opposite direction...again very consistent and typically results in a tight line for the skier.

Some drivers like to have a very straight boat path and catch the skier as they load...typically, the boat gets pulled to the skier a bit and can feel a little soft off the ball to some skiers. Some may like that and some may not. Skiers have different styles as do drivers and is why some skiers have drivers they prefer. Driver consistency is very important to shortline. I'll take this driver over nearly any other I've skied behind for this drivers ability to be consistent.

Back to the topic of GPS...this software has the ability to analyze the boat's position every meter of the course. When and if the technology is available, the data that SplashEye produces could be critical to how they program the GPS steering system to work. Think about it...what path do you want the boat to have? Perfectly straight line? Early counter? Late counter? Starting to sound a lot like ZO settings isn't it.

It really is an impressive piece of software and I highly recommend you visit Donal at Nationals to learn more about.

Regards,

Paul

• Baller
No doubt Donal has built a great piece of software. But I disagree on that boat path. I've driven a good number of record tournaments and watched a lot of boat path video. That boat driver let the pylon get taken 8-10 inches from centerline towards 1 and 5. That is a ton. The cumulative deviation on that pass was close or above the maximum.

• Baller_

@ShaneH Yea that is why I commented, don't think that boat path would pass even class C tournaments That is if someone was looking.

At Nationals I am looking forward to driving with this splash eye system. In talking to A high end skier (not going to name drop) I did get a comment that he was uncomfortable with his drivers having to utilize their smart phone to figure where they were in the course after each pass.

• Baller

@jody_seal they don't "have to" they can

Do your free pass before you pull a skier. Glance at your phone. Realize your consistently 4 inches right. Correct it. Move on.

At the end of the day the driver gets impartial feedback they can use to improve their driving. What skier doesn't want a driver to do that?

• Baller
the problem with the boat driving in the video that I think @shaneh is pointing out is that the driver lets the skier pull him over at least 4" as the skier approaches each buoy, but before the skier is actually at the buoy the driver moves back towards center so all of that boat movement was for not.....he's getting over to the skiers side early enough so as not to move into the skier but he is moving away too soon....at that point, you might as well hang out over there for awhile, let the skier hook up and then move back to center