Obscure Rule Q2

Drago

• Baller

Can u opt up on a reride? Wait...a reride initiated by the boat judge for poor boat path, due to rain (driver couldn't see)that also caused a delay of over 10 minutes. Skier did not run opener, score of 2.

My answer is "no", but I don't see why not?

• Baller
You can opt up for any reason, at any time. Other than a head to head which specifically states that you can't. An unprotected reride is a complete do-over. A protected guarantees your score and it doesn't matter how you get past it. The opt up doesn't effect either.

• Baller
The key to the situation described is the "delay over 10 minutes". The rules state that the skier may start over without a protected score. Starting over means what is says --- starting over --- just like you had never skied, meaning you can choose any speed or line length. There's no opt up involved. Since when does the scorer have a say in such a situation?

• Baller

Actually, I just went and reviewed the rules. For adverse conditions, a reride is ONLY given for the adversely affected pass. So in the case of your opener, the rules do force you to rerun it. At that point, you could opt up.

7.01 Unfair Conditions

When unfair conditions or a malfunction of tournament committee-supplied equipment occurs, which, in the opinion of a majority of the event judges adversely affects a contestant, he shall be granted the option of a reride only on the passes affected. In the case of a malfunction of committee-supplied equipment or if there should be fast slalom times, slow jump times, or short trick times, then, if such an optional reride is taken, the official score shall be the better of the reride score or the score obtained on the original adversely affected pass(es). In all other instances if the reride is taken, the result of the reride is the official score.

When a condition gives a contestant an unfair advantage, a reride is mandatory, and the result of that reride shall become the official score.

• Baller_

From the info provided, the scorer was wrong. With a delay over 10 minutes, the skier could elect to start over - wherever you want.

Or, the skier could elect to take a protected re-ride, with a non-scored warmup pass in the opposite direction. Then you are back where you ended and can opt up at risk.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Scorer has just been around, and had a rule book. The appointeds agreed that, " we don't think you can do that". Guess we were wrong. Can skier opt up without the 10 minute delay, on just a boat path re-ride?

• Baller
As has been stated previously by others you can opt up at any time. Logic being applied here is that you can always make it harder on yourself if you want to. Obviously the appointeds should have availed themselves of said scorers rule book, as apparently said scorer has a reading comprehension problem.

• Baller

Nowhere in the rules (that I can find) does it say the skier can opt up at any time for any reason. Rule 10.06.E.3.6 says , Upon completion of a pass, the skier may opt up. Rule 7.01 says, reride only the passes affected.

This is why I posted this question for discussion.