Too Many Skis to Choose From!

Joeprunc

I'm looking for a new ski for three reasons: 1) My 65" Vice is too small for me. 2) My wife loves the ski and wants me to get a new one so she can inherit the Vice. 3) There are just so many good skis out there.I live in the Delta, if any one knows of a shop that demos skis please let me know.I'm 155-160 lbs 5'-9" (maybe 165 lbs after a week on Lk Shasta). I ski the course at 30 mph - 32 mph (15' off, see videos bellow), and would like to see the buoys at 34 mph @ 22' before winter strikes. I've been working on form at 30 and 32 mph, and free ski at 34 mph. I don't plan on skiing the course faster than 34 mph. I started on a 67" Connelly F1x but at around 32 mph I could not get it to turn well. So last year I down sized to a 65" Vice. It turns much better, and I like the speed out of the turn, but I feel the ski sinking when I'm early at 30 mph, I blotch a turn (usually 4), then play catch up the rest of the course. I also find it quite hard to get wide without cutting past the second wake. I also feel like when I get tired the ski tends to porpoise thru the exit of my turn (does it especially on my weak side, I'm sure it has to do more with form than ski). I also have problems finishing my off side turn. I like the quickness of the ski, but feel like my turns on the Connelly are were more predictable and consistent, but a lot slower. I know a ski will not improve my form, but if your wife tells you to buy a ski what option do you have?So what ski should I give a try??My initial though it to get a 2013 Connelly Prophecy, (but I have not a clue what size 66" or 67")Second thought is to go big and not look back, get a Goode Nano/Nano One LFF from Ski-it-again. (again no a clue what size)With the Vapor coming out maybe a 66" or 67" Strada on the cheap would help with the porpoise and inconsistency of my turns. But maybe the Strada/Vice shape isn't for me...?Or should I wait for the Vapor?Or a fellow club member just got a Goode Fire and loves it.Or go with the A3? I've never been on an HO.Everyone in our club skis Goode or HO. Or am I getting to far ahead of myself. I'm still at slow speeds should I get a mid ride ski??MY HEAD IS SPINNING!!Here are two video's of me skiing a few months ago, sorry for the crappy quality operator error. And don't mind the weeds ;0.@30mph

Joe#1 30@15' from Joe Prunckle on Vimeo.

@32mph

Joe#1 32@15' from Joe Prunckle on Vimeo.

@32mph no make

Joe No make 32@15' from Joe Prunckle on Vimeo.

Not to throw another ski in the mix, but the HO Coex SL has gotten great reviews and is designed for 34 mph. I ski one and it is an amazing ski at a great price. I can't really comment on the Radars, I have only demoed a few and didn't fall in love with any of them. The HO felt like I had been on it for years the day I got it.

• Baller

If there's a lot of HO's (the ski's - get yer mind out of the gutter!) around your club, an S2 might be another option to try.

There are definitely a good number of skis out there. D3 has a try-before-you-buy program that might also be of interest. Best of luck in your decision!

• Baller
I would see if someone that skis on a Goode or HO in you club would let you try their ski. One of the Goode Fires would work well as would an HO S2. I didn't find the A3 particularly forgiving so I would try to avoid that for now.

• Baller

It's even worse now! There are so many cool skis on display at Nationals!

But last year's ski still had a bunch of people running deep shortline. Until you are chasing those last few buoys, any of the older top end skis will be great.

Don't go too big with the ski. You still have some speeding up to do and the 65" to 66" range will be right once you get to the top speed.

Setup of the ski can be more important than the ski itself. Ski with someone who knows how to tune a ski (try Willi Ellimeyer if he still has his ski school near you or someone at BelAqua in Sacramento or at the pond in San Jose to get help).

For older skis, @MS says the Monza rocks and I agree. The Sixam is another quality classic. Any of the old Goodes are great as long as they weren't left in the sun. The college kids snap up all the old D3 X5s and Z7s but look there too. Get a good skier's old ski and you can't go wrong.

Or fork over the bucks for this year's new must have ski. But you must do a review for us.

Just don't be silly and build your own ski.

Eric

• Baller
Try the Radar Senate C if you can,that ski will take you for a nice ride from where you are now to 32 off no problem.The ski is forgiving and will allow for mistakes.When my Vapor gets here I will have an excellent 66.5 S-2 for sale.My experience with the S-2 is you have to be in the right position to ski it well.Weight on back foot it- doesn't want to turn,bend forward out of turn-ski wants to stop.Doesn't like body movement.

@estrom & @oldjeep those are one of the types of weeds that plague the CA delta. Water hyacinth, they float down the river and find places to hang out and grow. They can double in size in 10 days if the weather is right, and have completely clogged water ways down here. We cleaned the course before skiing, but I guess with the boat wakes and tide shift another island of weeds floated out into the course on me.

@itch2ski its a 95 Tige' SLM 2000 (that's with a full tank of gas, 3 people aboard and gear, back seat, and a full cooler). The only boat I've been behind that I like better at slower speeds is a 1999 196 (but it didn't have a rear seat or any gear, and only two people aboard).

@Chef23 in the back of my mind I was thinking of the S2, but wasn't sure if its a wide ski or not, as there are two members who just purchased them last year. They both tried the HO Coex and S2 but both loved the S2 much more, they didn't try the A2 or A3. Would one size down (length wise) with an S2?

@eleeski thank you for the sizing advice, I think that is my biggest concern, the 67" F1x was too big and the 65" Vice seems too small, so I think a 66" should be where I should start. I don't mind shelling out the $$ (...well not for a new Goode). Plus withe the '14s coming out the '13s should start going cheap, I found a good deal on a '13 Prophecy.

I've wanted to make it over to Sunset Ski Ranch for some coaching, but just haven't found free time this year, looking on their website, it looks like they demo D3 skis.

everyone likes a new ski, but you are probably fine on yours for a while. Sinking at 30mph 15off is pretty standard, you have to ski with really good form and be very disciplined or you sink.

Really the goal is to get passed 30mph, and it looks like you will be dropping that 30mph pass soon anyway.

If you like the vice, then there isn't that much need to change the ski. If you do though I would definitely try the senate, I've had time on both and found the senate to turn with much less effort than the vice.

• Baller

My vote is get a used ski that is a year or two old. No point in spending $1300+ on the latest and greatest when you aren't even at full speed. Just getting a ski that fits you will make a huge difference. Last year I was skiing about where you are now. 30-32mph was usually a given but I could never squeak out a 34mph pass. After getting my 2012 Strada, I'm now working on my 28off pass and feel so much more comfortable.

The link below is an excellent deal on an excellent ski. However, an even better deal is the 2013 offered by @rq0013. I would be very tempted to yank that ski out from under you if it were my size. Either one will be excellent for you especially coming from the Vice. The transition will be quick. http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=24752

• Baller
I'm in much the same position so I'm excited to see what you do and get updates. After gaining weight and not skiing enough, I finally this year upgraded my 15 year old 67" ski and got myself a large 69" senate that doesn't have any problem staying on top of the water even at 180 or even 185 pounds when I have to run those "confidence" runs down at 28 mph. However, I have a feeling that if I start to reach my goals of getting up to 34 mph and losing the weight I want to lose to get back down to 160, this ski will be a giant surfboard and I'll be in the market for a smaller ski that is ready for 34 mph and -15. My thought has been to stick with the common feel and just upgrade to a 66" or 67" vice, vice-c, or even strada, if the vapor causes a firesale of stradas. I'm not dead set on that yet though (and I'm not yet running 34, so I don't have to worry about it just yet either) so I will look forward to staying tuned to your post and seeing what you end up with and what you think about it.

• Baller

I had Great Luck with Seth Stisher's "Try before you buy it program".

The first ski he sent me was the Green 6-am which I loved by the third turn but he also let me try a Radar just to be sure...

I can not say enough good things about the whole experience.

Try Seth here: www.h2osmosis.com/

Just finished a weekend of skiing, what a PITA to keep switching bindings. Luckily I brought along a cordless drill, but it still sucked. My wife now refuses to use her other ski. I think it's kind of cute, but still annoying. In need of a new ski more than I thought.

Bought a 66" 2013 Strada on a limb hoping just more surface area will help, and its the same shape I'm use to with the Vice, and a price I could not pass up.

This weekend I skied the 2013 Prophecy, and really really liked it. If fireworks do not go off when I ski the Strada, I may sell it for what I paid for it, and go get a Prophecy.

Here is my review of the prophecy, at the end of the discussion.

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8753/2013-connelly-prophecy-review

• Members

@joeprunc buy one of everything in every size. After you decide on one give all the others to your buds on ball of spray. I'll take a 67 Strada.

Side note: I think @MS is secretly buying all Monzas he can find. Continuously bragging them up is his marketing strategy to sell them once he has the market cornered.

So a lot of you probably don't care, but since last time, I snuk 4 more sets on the Prophecy. The first day the conditions were horrible (15 mph cross wind), so I'm not going to comment on those sets. The last day on the prophecy was much better, but I didn't have the wow factor or the consistency it did the first few days. I still really liked it and probably just had an off day, or too much to drink the night before. I like the ski, but was anxious to try the 2013 Strada.

Skied two sets yesterday with a 2013 66" Strada. The orange was bright the night before when I opened the box, checked the fin, and mounted my bindings, but holy crap is that ski bright in daylight. The guys on the boat were joking that they left their glasses on the dock as I pulled it out of the bag...I just laughed. The Strada felt quite good, and stable. It felt a lot more stable than my 2011 65" Vice. The first two passes I had a bit of trouble trusting the offside turn and pull. I noticed I was also getting a ton of line slack (which I don't usually get). As I got more comfortable with it, the ski felt almost effortless to get wide and early to each ball. And I started to attribute the line slack to two things...with my Vice I had to pull for a split second more off the second wake to keep speed and width around the balls. With this ski it seems to be faster, smoother, and glides better. I figured out I don't need to be on edge as long as I did with the Vice....well that, and my handle control was all over the place. After running the first set all at 30 mph I started feeling more comfortable and getting the line slack under control. The ski started to work. I was stupidly early to each ball and actually thinking to myself while waiting for the ball "why am I still skiing at 30 mph". Then the second set I took two 30mph passes, and decided to go for a few stabs at 32 mph. The faster speeds made the ski feel even better. I can say I have never been so early to the balls running 32 mph as I was yesterday, it started to feel a bit like running 30 mph. I felt like with the Strada I could turn much harder and more aggressively to make up time than the Prophecy. I'm thinking because the Strada was 1" shorter than the Prophecy (I think a 66" ski is the best size for me). But they both felt just as fast and stable in my pull (maybe the Prophecy I was a bit more consistent in my offside turn to pull). But I think with more time I will really like this new Strada. And I could not tell a $700 price difference between the used Strada, and a new Prophecy to justify buying a $1400 ski.

So now that I'm sitting here typing this, I think for a beginning swerver like me, you can't really go wrong with your ski brand choice. All the companies make such phenomenal skis that for me at my speeds and rope length, it is a bit difficult to even tell the difference. But a properly sized ski will make a difference. With that said, between the two skis I would love to own and ski either of them, but would like to thank Radar for coming out with the Vapor (so I could get a dirt cheap Strada), ski-it-again.com for offering such phenomenal deals, and those "gear whores" who need the latest and greatest gear.

• Baller

@joeprunc you are killing me here. I'm a little bit behind you, but you are still making me very hungry for a strada. Since my post above, I have taken off some pounds, so I'm down to 165 now and I've gone from longline to 15 off on the rope. I am now quite consistent at 28 mph and I'm getting 30 mph with increased frequency. I thought I was going to wait all the way until 34 mph before rewarding myself with a new ski (probably 67" strada), but with you talking about you skiing so much better on it even at 32, you have me wondering if I should reward myself with a new ski at 32 mph instead of at 34 mph.

Anybody else have thoughts? once I'm running 30 consistently and 32 occasionally, would I be better of on my current 69" senate or a 67" strada? Let's assume I stay somewhere between 160 and 170.

PS, Even though I'm jealous, I am really happy for you. Your wife made you buy a new ski, you're running 32 more easily than before, it doesn't get much better than that. Congrats Bro!!

One last update...

I am absolutely loving this Strada! I've only had three days in the water with it and I already have upped my Practice PB (so obviously it doesn't count) from 6 @ 32 mph -15' to 5@34 mph -15' (it was may last pass of my third set of the day). I've been working on technique all year (though I'm still sure it is piss poor) and never been on the course at 34 mph until this weekend. Hell I've never been on this ski at 34 mph until this weekend. But it actually felt smoother and less work than @ 30 mph.

This ski accelerates very constantly and quickly, and carries the speed off the second wake so effortlessly. It could be just getting the right sized ski (going from a 65" to 66"). It also seems to constantly make the exact same predictable turn when you want it to, or rip a quick one if you are late and end up early at the next ball. It also seems the level of confidence I have in my ski and skiing have gone thru the roof, could be time on the water finally paying off, but I feel a majority has to do with the ski. Everyone at the club this weekend commented on how much better I looked (even compared to skiing on the Connelly I demoed earlier this season). But a word of caution; the bright orange is not for the faint of heart...its a whole new level of florescent orange....it actually surprises me every time I take it out of the bag.

There are two minor issues I am having and maybe someone can help steer me in the right direction. I'm thinking it is my form and not the ski.

#1 - I am getting a bit of slack at the buoy and thru the turn. I am not running a wing, but I think it has more to do with me pulling off the second wake a bit to long, or maybe letting go of the handle to early and moving more down course instead of cross course.

#2 - On my offside turn, when I really try to turn hard, I've felt the tail of the ski start to blow out. It only happened a few times and only at 32 mph when I was late and trying to make up time. Again it probably is 100% skier error.

My settings are

29" to front boot

2.510"

6.842"

0.759"

No wing

I noticed that Rossi run his front boot at 28 5/8", maybe moving the boot back a click might help.

To make a long story short. I am very happy with my new ski.

• Baller

@escmanaze A 69" Senate is technically ok for a 175lb rider but that's a REALLY big ski for someone your size who's just trying to learn the course.

@joeprunc Call Radar or shoot them an email asking what the recommended settings are for your ski and try those. There are Matt Rini's settings, Rossi's settings, and stock settings...and they're all different. I played around with my 2012 Strada this year and was where you are now when I got the ski. IMO, if you find out what the factory recommended settings are AND you watch Rossi's video on how to set up a ski, that will help you progress the quickest. I wasted far too much time at the beginning of of the season playing around with those settings. The reason I say watch Rossi's video is you'll better understand how they measure ski's and it'll put you where you need to be. When I started using tools they use, measured the way they measure, and used the settings the recommended settings, skiing and learning became much more fun. You'll figure out the slack problem, it just takes a little time at those speeds and line lengths.

• Baller

I have a Strada and am slowly bumping the boat speed to the targeted 34mph too! After a long time at 30 plus.6 then .8 rpms ... 32mph is now home for me as a baseline speed to progress from. I ran 6/6 passes first set yesterday @32mph, then did two passes @33mph for a PB! 34mph with good form is my goal this year too (all -15 rope length). I have gotten 5 balls @34mph and agree the ski loves to ride up off the water, however, offside form suffered so slowly bumping the speed till comfortable with it.

The Strada allows you to turn fast and get angle to make passes! I love mine and agree many goos deals on ski it again!