Marcus Brown as frontman for Mastercraft

ScarletArrow

• Baller

I have to say, from what I've seen on the videos, I'm really impressed with MB being the de facto spokesperson for the new MC Prostar.

I had a little chuckle when he was interviewing Nate Smith (sponsored by CC and wearing a Nautiques shirt during the interview) and he wants to ask him about the performance of the new Prostar and frames his question with, "I know...I know..."

Somehow he was able to be ballsy and classy at the same time. I loved it.

CC has a couple of WR holders for their athletes, I've interviewed Nate and Chris personally, and they are genuinely good guys - but MC has to be really happy with how Marcus is connecting and communicating with the ski community.

When the 200 debuted, there were a collection of voices - Mapple, Parrish, Barton, McClintock, Travers - but MC seems to have gone with the "Highlander" philosophy - there can only be one!

Totally agree as well. Marcus is really good at tapping the more ethereal side of skiing. Sure, he can spit numbers and stats, but he's also making this boat appeal to someone like me, who's never been on a course but appreciates ingenuity, creativity, and machines built with enough passion to incorporate unseen levels of both.

The man sold me a Freeride this year too. He couldn't hide his passion for his recent projects if he tried.

• Baller

No other way to say it, but Marcus is just one of the Coolest Dudes on the Planet...He was at the MC tent with the 2 New Prostars when Nationals opened Tues, and spent a great deal of time talking to everyone and explaining the virtues of the new boat. Both he and MC did a great presentation at Nationals and are to be commended. This was no small task, having to drive the boats straight from Calgary to West Palm and arriving Monday night at 9:30, to get everything setup for Nationals opening Tues morning.

I felt the boats looked great and can't wait to ski behind one.

• Baller_

@ScarletArrow those words are too damn nice man! Thanks all....

Many of you know, I've stepped almost completely away from competition since the last Worlds in 2011. That's when I was given an opportunity to be a part of a design team for the company that has been a part of my lake life ever since my first ride behind our 1972 MC, 26 years ago. Learned a lot in Tennessee and made some life long friends. I also gained a new set of tools, and a new outlook.....its a very empowering feeling to be able to give back to a community that has done nothing but support you.

Standing at Nationals last week, sharing our new boat and talking to the folks that support this industry, was a bitter sweet moment. My first trip to nationals was Okeeheelee Park, 1987, for the US Nationals and US Open (Article). I was a spectator, watching my big brother compete. He missed his exit gates on his opener....tough to see him train hard, fly across the country, and get crushed like that. But that didn't stop me from wanting to be a skier. Later that week I watched Bob LaPoint, Kris LaPoint, Andy Mapple, Jeff Rodgers, Carl Roberge and a bunch of the worlds best ski. There were thousands of people lining the bleachers and shore. The air was electric. That was when I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.

This year, the Circus tents and vendor booths were less than half the size they were back in 87'. Some of the best skiers in the world skied, but not all of them. And instead of shores lined with thousands of eager eyes young and old, there were maybe 75 people watching as Open Women and Open Men skied. Probably less for Jump and Trick.

Its a very weird thing to be committing and compromising and dedicating your life to one thing for years....while the very thing you are dedicated to and getting better at has been trending down for as many years.

And just as I was standing in the MC booth, coming to the above realization....I saw a junior skier belly up to the 1968 MasterCraft....the very 1st MC every produced, looking all shiny and new out there in the sun. And then I looked at the all new 2014 ProStar as I propped myself against it....and realized that there is more to this sport than buoys. It reminded me that this new ProStar MasterCraft had just created, was going to someday be a classic like Old # 1. But between now and then, thousands of new ProStars will be the centerpiece of thousands of families on lakes around the world. Kids just like me. Families just like mine....will use this boat to do more than just perfect a craft.

This boat will create friendships, and memories....and bring families together.

I think that, above all else, is what continues to drive the passion. Its a very privileged and confirming feeling to be a part of a new product that is more than just fiberglass and carpet....hard to explain.

Maybe competitive skiing is struggling....membership numbers are down....certain metrics we tend to use don't shed favorable light on the industry. BUT, I can say this: water sports at the recreational level are not dying. There are kids and parents and grandparents all over this country, on public lakes and rivers, coming together and shredding. Discovering wake boarding, tubing, surfing and water skiing. They may not have a USA Water Ski membership....they probably don't read Water Ski Mag....and I doubt they even know competitions exist. And dare I say they have never heard of BOS!!??? However, just because this huge disconnect exists.....doesn't mean water sports (specifically skiing) are dying. Just means we've lost our way somehow, at the competitive level. I feel like our successes as a competitive sport, depend directly on that recreational base....or if we currently don't depend on them, we could sure do a lot better if we somehow banded together....or at the very least, began to bridge the gap.

The Freeride and the new ProStar are just the beginning for me.... and I feel like product development can play a huge role in helping evolve the sport....and bridging that gap.

Now, if someone can teach me how to juggle, I'd like to get back to being a skier again....and develop new products in my spare time....

• Baller

Awesome post @MarcusBrown, and can't wait to ski behind the new boat!

Also, glad to see that @MatthewBrown was able to pick up and move on with his life after missing those gates. Sad at the time, I'm sure, but pretty funny timing you mentioned it now given the heavy discussion gate rules are getting in other BOS threads...

• Baller

@MarcusBrown -- I've never met you but love reading what you have to say. I was a recreational skier until my early 30s before I ever saw a slalom course. Now I'm 50 and that connection to competitive skiing and the community of people in it is one of the coolest things on earth. Getting people connected a bit earlier than I would be great!

As for the new boat, I already have my "order" (not really an order since you can't order one yet) in with my dealer. The 2014 will replace my 2005 197TT with zbox, which is the best cared for boat I know of with 1235 loving slalom hours on it. I can't wait to see it, drive it, and ski it!

Thanks for posting on BOS. Nice to have you connect with all of us through this medium. Hope to ski with you sometime -- let me know when you are in MN.

• Baller

@marcusbrown - awesome write up. Who says engineer's can't write?

I know when I was growing up and boating on a river I always wanted to ski on a course. They just weren't available/publicly announced. What I do know is that growing up being on the river or lake was certainly a family bonding time that will never be forgotten. I hope to pass that on to my family as well.

Thanks for all you do for the waterskiing industry! Many of the top pro's also deserve credit - they are true ambassador's for our sport!

• Baller
@Razorskier1 I know you've said for the last few years you were going to have to wait on getting a new boat and that your '05 was perfectly fine for you. I'm curious......... did the '14 PS make that big of an impression on you? Or did other factors come into play?

• Baller

@MarcusBrown

That's the best post I've ever read on BOS. It completely took me back to growing up, first dreaming of my family buying our first MC, and of someday competing. I built hundreds of little MC's out of legos, and one fine May morning in 1987, my parents brought home our first real one. I vividly remember every moment of that day. All the family fun and memories gained since have been priceless. You are so right that these boats are so much more than pull tractors. Now I can't wait to build new memories with my own kids.

• Baller
@ShaneH -- 2014 looks awesome and I have been waiting for MC to get there with the next generation boat. I drive/ski a TXI at our private site, and I love that boat too. Also like the CC. All that said, my MC dealer and his service team have been so good to me over the years that I felt like I needed to wait for the new MC. The 2014 PS looks like the real deal, and I told my dealer to get me his earliest production slot. If MC hadn't come out with a terrific boat, I'd probably just sit tight for a few more years. Time to borrow more money and further impair my retirement!

• Baller

@MarcusBrown is a solid guy!! In 2009 at the worlds (in Calgary) he took the time to talk to my kids and sign their Tee Shirts. He really stopped and chatted with them and they thought he was awesome! My youngest daughter (now 13) saw Marcus again at the Pro Shootout and we told him that they had meet in 2009, with out missing a beat, Marcus looked at her and said " You were shorter then" Smoooooth and Classy!!

Awesome job on your new Prostar, Everyone I spoke to, was really excited about the boat and the thought you put into it!! PS I noticed where the heater ducts are now located and as I Canuck think that is amazing thinking!!

• Baller
Just had to post this --- I was running late getting back to my second round @ Shortline lake in Elk Grove, CA. I had my ski in the truck, but had left my vest, gloves, etc. at the other end of the lake. I saw my division standing at the dock and knew the next skier getting in the water was seeded before me. Scrambling to get what I needed to ski, a Boy’s 2 or 3 Skier at the time? offered his vest for me to use so I would not loose my start. Yes! that Boys 3 Skier was Marcus Brown; awesome individual back then as well. I have not been in the tournament scene for some time; however, ski on a tournament lake with my kids and instill these same qualities in them --- to be good people, help other and have fun! (Thanks again Marcus!)