Summarizing my first impressions of the 2014 MasterCraft ProStar.

Horton

I traded texts with MC and inquired about its trick wakes and this is what they sent back.

"The MasterCraft ProStar 2:35am Aug 29

It has a great trick wake but the problem rests with the new trickers that like to go 20mph+. The boat is so wide that it planes off around 20 making the wake shrink quickly.

The weights are put in place for a 20 - 24mph trick pass."

The MasterCraft ProStar 4:42am Aug 31

It's truly a battle to create a jack of all trades. The 197 had fantastic trick wakes but not the best slalom. This new boat, being 6" wider, is tough to sink into the water so even at slow speeds, it rides higher. That said, the trick wakes were a challenge. The slalom wakes are the best anyone has ever seen...even competing brands athletes. It is truly something to see. Thanks for being a MasterCraft fan and supporting our dealers!

@paul I do not know any technical specs of the TXI but the new PS has major innovations with lifting strakes, making the boat run much higher on the water making for MUCH less wetted running surface. I would assume that it would be a good bit better than that of the SN200. Again, no clue on the BU. So for the sake of making a *** out of myself, I would say it would be at least on par with the BU maybe even better?

• Baller
I am surprised that the tournament boat mfgrs have not put driver adjustable cavitation plates like on the old flat bottom boats and large ocean going sport boats on tournament boats to conform to the speed and activity of the ski/boarder.

@ronski

Years ago, Supra boats had a cavitation plate that could be manually adjusted. Later, Tige, in about 1996 added a an electric plate and took out the hook with an adjustable wake being the goal. The plate was supposed to provide the lift, that was lost when the hook was removed.

There were a couple of problems, the Tige solution ruined what had been a great slalom wake, and there were rules about a static hull for tournament use etc.

This was also, (although in a different location) the idea behind the hydro-gate on the recent Nautiqes.

The Malibu wedge, is if you think about it, just the same idea except in reverse. Make a boat with a ton of lift for slalom and use the wedge to pull the aft down to make a bigger wake for tricks and wakeboarding.

• Baller_

If I have my story straight, Supra, at the time, was not allowed in US tournaments do to the movable plate. Even though it was a good idea, it was not allowed back then. My understanding is the owners at the time basically gave the middle finger to the AWSA for not approving their tow boats and felt over seas sales would cover them. It didnt. This along with it's incredibly high price at the time (5-7k over the big 3) stunted sales to the point where they went out of production for a while. Then the factory burnt down in 92 I believe. I'm sure I'll get corrected on this but it is the story I heard years and years ago.

That rule for static hulls must not exist anymore considering the hydro-gate by SN.

Order a new Vette or Prostar..... this is tuff, 2014 seems to be a good year for both! 2 thumbs up for what I read here from my go to boat manufacture MasterCraft! As a owner that never seems to be the boat of choice over the BU'S when its slalom time with the buddies cheers to MC. On the wake board trick deal... Finally a slalom boat first trick second to bad boys someone had to do it! On our lake the trick boys have a trick boat only and another TXI for slalom, I bet this is a popular compromise on most lakes, yes all older boats. If you trick you no other tricksters if you slalom you no other carvers, right? My Vette carves up the corners and the SUV trucks through the snow, neither does both even ok........

The problem seems to be with the ski rule book more than with the manufactures.

45 Degrees this morning here the seasons almost done :(