What should Krista Rogers do first?

ScarletArrow

• Baller

I'm sure she loves us for expanding her already long "to-do" list.

Let's keep in mind she's marketing, not the President, so she only has so much scope in her influence.

Let's not make this a "USAWaterski sucks" rehash thread.

If USAWaterski wants to take some active steps in marketing and promoting the sport - great!

What's going to have the most impact?

My .02...

1 - Kill the olympic dream and get skiing back on TV. It's the only way to give the sport national exposure IMHO. With all of the sports channels popping up...there has to be room for us. The Masters, the Calgary Shootout, The Big Dawg...these are all awesome events worthy of TV time. Webcasting isn't going to work.

2 - Promote 3-event skiing on more college campuses. Skiing thrives in Ohio, in part, because of the active water ski teams at Cincinnati, Ohio State and Miami. We have a W2 skier at our lake who got hooked on tournament skiing from her days at Cincinnati ski team. If we can duplicate across campuses around the nation, our sport will grow from the bottom up.

• Baller_
How about starting a "throwback" series of tournaments or creating a new "throwback" tournament class that allows any previously AWSA approved towboat and speed control combination to be used? It would provide competition and rankings for skiers who may be very accomplished, but have left or avoided the tournament scene due to the expense of matching the current technology. This class does not require waivers or exceptions to use older boats, it is allowed and specifically encouraged. Perhaps this may create exposure to new or existing skiers who do not have access to the latest technology. These skiers may have families whose interest can either be nurtured or quashed by the ability to interact in a competitive atmosphere.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Definitely get rid of the Olympic dream, sorry guys....get some beer sponsors or something like red bull.

My opinion would be to do an event with others, almost like an X games thing, have a bunch of different "extreme" sports together and have waterskiing one of them. I think the Soaked idea was great with the concert and tournament in one! More of that stuff

• Baller

+1 on the TV....imagine all those Hot Summer Nights from ESPN on a 60" HD......

The number of sports channels is now many times over and we are no where to be found?

Waterskiing can take the place of some re run football game that no one is watching on a Tuesday evening in July!!

• Baller

I agree on nixing the Olympic push. No reason to throw money at a losing proposition.

The whole officials/rating system is poorly implemented. That is one of the biggest reasons we quit doing organized skiing on our course this summer. Its tough to comply with the sanctioning/officials for a couple hours of skiing.

Tim

Develop a viewable format that will work for TV. Grass roots tournaments and training opportunities for new blood like jr development but for older people too. Simplify rules and judging requirements to make it fun again. Back in the 80's tournaments were huge now they are a small group of the same skiers who have been around for a long time with few new replacements for when they stop/retire. Oops, sorry got carried away there. Just hope she can have a positive impact on showcasing the sport.

I'm Canadian but a YouTube channel with tons of instructional videos that would take a recreational skier from beginner two-ski to course ready slalom skiing. Make sure there are links in the description pointing to part of the website with a list of clubs/schools across the country that viewers can go to get personalized, local instruction (never been on the USA ski site so I have no idea if this type of page exists. If it doesn't, it should). Same advice goes for WSWC if anyone in that office north of the border is reading.

• Supporting Member

@ShaneH I agree to a point. But in any organization, talented folks can exert a little influence in any potential area, through internal discussions and getting people excited to do their job. While I have not actually met The Krista, all signs point to her being that type of team member.

So I see at least some small value in these ideas, even if they are all over the board.

• Baller
If Tha Krista can get Scarlet Arrow's first point accomplished- getting rid of the unobtainable Olympic Dream- then the assocaition could get back to running water skiing and forget kissing the IOC's cheeks. So much effort has been wasted over the last 20 years or so on something that JUST WON'T HAPPEN when if we'd have just focused our efforts on improving the sport, we might still have the numbers of members, competitors, spectators, that we had when the pro tour was actually televised. It's great to see a skier in this position- one that's still active and competitive- not retired.

• Baller
My vote is she should ski and enjoy the new job while getting to learn/understand the ins and outs of it. There are far too many people that go into a new job with the mentality to change everything without understanding why it is the way it is and the results are typically disastrous. Have fun and if you decide something needs to be fixed, I still plan to continue skiing regardless of the change.

• Baller

First of all I'm very excited that Krista will become an integral part of the team at USAWS. Her fresh ideas, enthusiasm and experience will certainly be valuable.

Those who express an interest of "killing the olympic" dream are a bit off course in my opinion. It's true that years ago (circa: when USAWSA was formed) there was a "push to get into the olympics". In the past many years, that "push" has been from IWWF and, at best, USAWS/AWSA have been cheerleaders. I am not aware of any time, money or other resources spent on "the olympic dream". There still is a connection with USOC which did provide some limited funding over the years and does provide other valuable things to some of the elite athletes. The only other carryover that I see is the connection to drug testing, etc. but that's probably good. So suggestion she spend time or effort "killing the dream" would frankly be a waste of her time - go talk to IWWF instead (which incidently is not funded with a dime from USAWS).

The challenge facing USAWS (and by default AWSA) is that of membership and funding. Clearly they're tied together. The M1 and W1 skiers participating in tournaments (especially Regionals and Nationals) is woefully low. However there are 3-4 times as many skiers the same age at Collegiate tournaments (look at the ranking lists). They are already members of USAWS but for some reason they don't carry over once they leave school. Plenty of reasons why already here in other threads but I'd point to the Midwest region which is the most active collegiately AND has the most M/W 1&2 skiers at their regionals. This year there were 2-3 times as many M/W 1&2 skiers at the Midwest Regionals than any other. I speculate the robust collegiate waterskiing activity in the Midwest is rubbing off at least to some degree on AWSA. Remember, these M/W 1&2 skiers are the ones who will be producing the B/G skiers in the next decade or so.

So working on a development program which encourages colleges to have active ski teams while promoting the life long values of staying involved would be an awesome goal.

Also recruiting and securing non-traditional sponsors would be very valuable. The boat manufacturers, ski manufacturers and a whole host of other 'industry' sponsors have been critical in the past but their involvement alone will not sustain the sport forever. They do have a vested interest in the promotion but they can't be the only sponsorship source. Non-traditional sponsors are a far larger pool of funding opportunities with potential leverage to improve visability, etc.

Finding a way to use the traditional sponsors connections to 'tap' the larger watersports market (recreational, etc.) as a target market for non-traditional sponsors could be a gold mine.

For example, very, very few people will ride a half-pipe much less compete on one but there's a huge pool of recreational snow skiers and boarders who aspire to do it or at least are interested (in awe?) of those who do. The RedBulls of the world aren't marketing to the handful of snowboarders who ski on ESPN they're marketing to the hundreds of thousands of wishful 'wannabes'. Waterskiing has a massive untapped recreational base which can provide that marketing opportunity. Making the connection is the tough part.

Once again, thrilled Krista's on the job!!

• Baller
@Klindy Great post! My thinking is that a marketing persons primary role is to communicate an organizations value proposition to its customers and prospects. If so many people hold to this myth that USAWS is still pursuing the Olympics, then one thing that could be done is communicate in a way that would dispel that myth along with any others.

• Baller

@ScarletArrow any Olympic involvement can be a very positive thing. However reality is that competitive waterskiing is unlikely to become a medal sport anytime soon. That said I wouldn't waste my time actively discouraging things.

Bear in mind there are several "levels" of involvement all of which are positive for waterskiing. For example to be a recognized PanAm sport it's required that the sporting authority (USAWS) be the recognized governing body for the sport/competition. The PanAm games are an important part of competitive waterskiing.

Likewise periodically there are training opportunities and even financial incentives through the USOC that some affiliation presents. Over the past years there have been some modest yet meaningful budget items which are from our affiliation with the USOC.

So sorry, I would disagree with you and any time or money spent on disuading any perceptions of our olympic quest would be better spent on other things. Likewise, any money or time spent actively pursuing the "dream" would be equally wasted.

There's plenty to do without worrying about the Olympics either way.

• Baller

Krista probably isn't the only USAW employee following this thread, so I don't think throwing every idea we have her/their way is a bad thing. BOS is a credible resource and this is a valuable brainstorming session.

USAW should study this thread and:

1) compile ALL of these suggestions into a highly visible BOS list on the wall somewhere in their offices (including those that might "seem" like dumb ideas); and

2) realize just how revered Krista is in this community, and pave the way for her to contribute in a meaningful way. With beauty, smarts, contacts, experience and serious street-cred, Krista may well be one of the best assets they have.

• Baller_

What are the great lunch places?.

Total arm chair coaching here...Agree with @klindy.Tons of untapped rec skiers. I see @MarcusBrown moving in this direction. With that said, and the analogy of a large audience watching folks on the half pipe competition sponsored by RedBull, I would suggest she pushes/strongly recommend the organizers/promoters that have sanctioned events placed infront of large joe public crowds be announced on line on, not the confusing feet off. That huge untapped rec skier that Klindy refers to needs to at least understand what he he]] is going on infront of them.

Side note, RedBull is sponsoring some kind kind of world tour cliff/platform diving contest. They expect 40,000 in attendance at the Boston stop. And we thought 16.9 seconds was fast and over quickly for the average audience. Try 3 seconds...done. 40,000 people are gonna watch that?. klindy is right, get sponsors like that.

• Baller
The core of marketing is to figure out what you are really selling, and then target your market for who wants what you have. Women are the huge untapped resource for this sport. For me, as a 54 year old woman, water skiing brings strength, confidence, passion and joy-and these overflow to every aspect of my life. I feel the exhilaration every time I get up on a slalom ski. And I've helped get many woman (too many) hooked on the sport. They bought boats, skis, and all kinds of gear-and took up my water time. So I had to get my own lake. Get the wives and moms and you get the world!

• Baller_
let's improve the focus on Grassroots events included with sanctioned tournaments, getting new skiers to attend and ski in the "fun" round is the initial step, guarantee the 4 pass deal, reduce the entry fee, give a little coaching, have a BBQ/potluck/giveaways, adding to the event and enjoyment

• Baller

Growth is the obvious opportunity. M1/W1 skiers are tough segment since they are often busy starting careers and families. This continues into M2/W2 ages. Often near the end of M2/W2, the skiers have the ability to return to the sport. However, if we don't keep in touch with them, they are lost. I've already written and submitted a proposal for a program to attempt to track the NCWSA skiers past their college careers and actively invite them back into skiing. What % of NCWSA skiers come back by M3/W3? What can we do to increase that number? I think that is more important than pushing for M1-2/W1-2 involvement.

Additionally, we need to make skiing accessible to novice skiers. Our club coordinated reduced fee ski rides on Wednesday evenings for skiers who would like to learn how to ski a course. We have about 15 new skiers involved in this activity that otherwise would be unknown to us. We expect that they will become fully engaged competitively once they start running an opening pass. Often, new skiers will not invest in tournament fees or USAWS memberships until they can run at least 2 passes with sufficient consistency. Thus, any programs to invite new skiers into our sport should commit to getting these novice skiers to that point for any real payoff. Grassroots programs should be subsidized by USAWS to the point where the skier's cost to participate is at about $25 per competition. That seems to be a price point that works for that audience. If these novice skiers are given a pathway to learn and a price point for novice competition, the really hooked ones will advance to full AWSA competitive members.

As far as Krista's new job, I wish her much success! I hope she helps all of the leadership of AWSA/USAWS find excellent opportunities to achieve success!

• Baller
@jdarwin , @mikedunlap, @kelvin , and I were talking about this yesterday. A way to grow this sport is to duplicate what West Palm Beach has done with Okeheelee Park at half a dozen cities around the country. Approaching the parks departments in select cities/counties to get that on their minds would be a perfect project for Krista's position at some point.

• Baller

Expanding upon @ShaneH 's suggestion, USAWS could even promise to host X number of national level events at any sites developed under that program. Sorta the way the NFL promises Super Bowls for cities that build new stadiums. This could be a very big Economic Development play as hundreds of competitors need hundreds of hotel rooms, meals, etc.

The first step would be to quantify the economic impact Okeeheelee has had for Palm Beach County. Not just when they host Nationals but from all the ski-related tourism that it generates. There are a number of firms that could do that.

• Baller_
@ShaneH and @jcamp, our ski club attempted to approach officials at Millennium Park in Grand Rapids with just such a development proposal. They, like Okeeheelee, have 5 lakes that can be made into slalom/3-event/etc. lakes with very little effort (some needed nothing). However, it seems that everyone prefers the pedal boats and no wake fishing boats there. It would still be a long drive for me, but a place like that would be worth it.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
It's one thing for individual groups/clubs to approach a parks department. It's completely another for the sanctioning body to do it. The sanctioning body leading in a concerted effort with clubs in certain cities gives credence and weight to the idea. Plus, data gathered for one can be used for all proposals.

• Baller

One suggestion from an outsider to the competition thing. How about a 1 page document or FAQ that explains how the tournaments/competitions work (age/speed/general format)? I was curious and looking through the 112 page document is pretty daunting if you are new to the sport.

• Baller
Agree with the WPB model. Would maybe have to be in an area that had enough lakes to accomodate the paddle boat crowd as well. Would be great if multiple large cities around the country could do what they do. At least there is a long lived and successful model to present. Hats off to the WPB crew.

• Baller
Also, the Departments of Transportation... Anytime a major new road is cut through Texas, it is put in the farm land with a lot of dirt excavated. If they only knew what size holes to leave behind... So many of these TxDOT ponds are sooooo close to being a ski lake that it is almost sick.

• Baller

Exactly, Scot. WPB has a multi decade history with Okeeheelee that can be a model for others. Look at the amenities for that site from their web site. While waterskiing by itself is hard to push through. With everything else, Okeeheelee becomes a destination for entire families.

AMENITIES

baseball fields, lighted (5)

bicycle paths (8 miles)

BMX track

boat launching area (freshwater fishing lake, non-motorized)

boat launching ramp (water ski lake) (2)

boat slips, day use only (19)

disc golf (18 holes)

dog park, Pooch Pines

equestrian center, Jim Brandon Equestrian Center

111-acre, world-class equestrian showplace

covered arena

open riding area

training rings

exercise course (20 stations, 1 mile)

fishing (freshwater-stocked)

golf course, Okeeheelee Public Golf Course

27 holes (3 nine-hole courses)

chipping area

driving range

practice putting green

pro shop

snack bar

lake frontage

mountain biking (located on the east side of Pinehurst Drive, south of Forest Hill Boulevard)

multipurpose fields, lighted (4)

nature center, Okeeheelee Nature Center (call for hours)

nature center outdoor classroom

nature trail, interpretive (0.75 mile)

nature trails (1.2 miles)

parking

boat/trailer parking (water ski lake/freshwater fishing lake)

regular parking

picnic areas with grills, single table

picnic pavilions (Alligator, Micanopy, Osceola, Tuskeegee), reserved group (4)

picnic shelters, family

picnic shelters, single table

pier (fishing)

playground, including

play structure (ages 2-5 years)

play structure (ages 5-12 years)

rental concession (call for hours)

canoe/kayak/pedal boat rentals 561/304-1344

bicycle rentals 561/304-1344

restroom facilities

softball fields, lighted (4)

tennis courts (8)

volleyball, grass courts (1)

walking paths (8 miles)

water skiing courses (permit and fee required) (5)

Then down the road in Boca Raton, you have the Burt Aaronson Regional Park with a ski lake that Chet Railey uses for his ski school. They have similar amenities:

AMENITIES

amphitheater, Sunset Cove Amphitheater - Google Maps Link.

Glades Road west of Boca Raton

baseball fields, lighted (4)

basketball courts, lighted (2)

bicycle path (2.8 miles)

boat launching ramp - Permit required for motorized vessels.

dog park, Canine Cove Dog Park - Google Maps Link.

Glades Road west of Boca Raton

exercise course (8 stations)

fishing (freshwater)

golf course, Osprey Point Golf Course

27 holes (3 combinations of 18-hole play)

chipping area

driving range

practice putting green

pro shop and snack bar

multipurpose fields, lighted (5)

nature center, Daggerwing Nature Center (call for hours)

exhibit hall with live animals

meeting room

lobby with art gallery and children's book nook

0.6 mile boardwalk trails (2)

observation tower

butterfly garden (certified by the FFGC)

parking

picnic areas with grills, single table

picnic pavilions (Cypress, Pond Apple, Sunset), reserved group (3)

picnic shelters, single table

playground, including

play structure (ages 2-12 years)

playground (barrier-free, fully accessible)

play structure (ages 2-5 years)

play structure (ages 2-12 years)

racquetball/handball courts, full-length (40 ft) side walls, lighted (12)

recreation center, Coconut Cove Recreation Center

radio-controlled car track has been moved to West Delray Regional Park

restrooms

softball fields, lighted (4)

special events area

tennis center and pro shop (operated by Tennis Insights, Inc.)

tennis courts, lighted (19)

volleyball, paved courts (3)

volleyball, sand courts (2)

walking path (2.8 miles)

water ski school, Palm Beach Training Center (call for appointment)

waterpark, Coconut Cove Waterpark (call for hours)

food concession

interactive water playground

meeting rooms

river ride

water slides (2)

So, there are two public park models with working public ski lakes. Palm Beach County Park and Recreation knows something that others don't, apparently.