Houston Area Ski Spots

ETEXAG

Looking for places to ski in the Houston area. Conroe is all I know. I had heard there was a spot on the San Bernard, but I am not sure where the freshwater spots are, and where a good spot to put in is? Also interested in clubs or ski lakes. I live on the West side of Houston, but will venture out. Really want a regular spot I can ski during the week and weekends.

Your best bet is to lease out in highlands, tx at the private lake. That is the best club-ish environment near the west side. It is a straight shot down I-10. If you are looking for private lake skiing in katy, send me a pm and we will set you up.

For open water skiing, the SB is the best option based on your location. It is still under appreciated.

Thanks for the help. Does any one know a good ramp for putting in on the SB and is it freshwater or brackish?

Do y'all have the contact info for the Highlands lake as well?

I am not familiar with Angel lake, where is that located? Lakes of Katy look nice.

I emailed you hoover

• Baller

Angel lake is northeast of Columbus. I'd say if your going to SB you need to get someone that familiar. It's been a long time since I was down there but we were on the freshwater side of the saltwater barrier dam. We were in an I/O and hits something, screwed up the outdrive.

Been to the site Ihoover is taking about it's near Conroe and is very nice.

• Baller

Disclaimer -following info is from 10 yr ago.

The place to launch on San Bernard River is a public ramp on FM 521 bridge just south of Brazoria. River is deep - 15 ft in places. Go up river towards Sweeny TX and the water is not too brackish. Further down river becomes more brackish and wider. Occasional tug/barge traveled up to the Phillips refinery. Be careful when they pass. Very wind protected free skiing.

There is another ramp on the SB under Churchill Bridge FM 2611. The river there is very brackish.

• Baller
The Trinity near Riverside is good water. It gets lots of floating logs and debris after rains, but the water is smooth and protected for miles and it isn't Brackish. The SB is awesome too if you can tolerate salt in your boat; which I can not regardless of it being diluted

The brackish water is what I was afraid of with the SB. My boat isn't outfitted for salt. I had heard good things about the Trinity as well. Is it crowded on the weekends? Looks like private lakes and Trinity are my best bets unless I get a salt water boat. Have y'all skied Conroe during the week? I was told it was ok in the mornings and weeknights.