Opinions: '94 Prostar 190 vs. '97 Nautique 196

jdk99

• Baller
Close your eyes, ski, and I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference between any 1997-2009 Nautique. They all ski so darn good. I think some drive a hair better than others especially after 2006 ish....... I have a 2003, but ski on a 97, 99, and a 2010 200 frequently as we rotate with friends. Just great slalom tractors!

• Baller
I would not count out the 94 MC 190. Perhaps their best slalom wake till the '14 MC came out. Quality construction and great looking too IMO. Only shortcoming is there will be spray from -38 on. Which engine - standard 5.7 GM efi or LT1 Corvette. Which trans - 1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1 (power slot)?

• Baller
I can't speak much for the 94 prostar, but I do own a 97 SNOB and absolutely love it. Being 3 years older, I would guess that you might be able to get a 94 PS190 for a little less money, but I don't think it would be a lot less. I know you won't be disappointed with the TSC1 hull. I wasn't.

• Baller
Another vote for the '97, however if you can get into a '94 PS on the cheap, it's a phenomenal slalom boat as well. I ran a '91 last summer (same hull), and going back and forth between the SN200, it totally held its own wake-wise. Build quality, the SN wins.

@swc5150 I would hope that the SN200 would be better build quality then a boat that's possibly 20 years older. I have a friend who has a 96 SN and I say the build quality is the same between my showroom 91MC and his showroom 96CC.

To the OP, I would go with which ever has the best condition for the price. You cannot go wrong with either.

91-94 MC PS190's and the 97-2003 SN196's are some of the best out there.

As stated before, 94 all MC were standard EFI. In 93 the LT1 was an option for the EFI.

Also, if you find a 95-97 MC PS190 for sale, do not count those out, still phenomenal boats and wakes.

• Baller

I never drank the CC Kool-aid. Mostly didn't ski 'em and the tourney's I skied were MC and Bu's. Always thought the 196 wasn't as attractive, and it backed up the wrong way. After I moved a ski bud had a '97 196...wow great wakes/tracking/hole shot and with the bubble butt and tapered platform the rope never gets snagged when shortening. Built like a tank.

Bought a '00 and I love the wake...one of the best for my 22 off opening ski buds and for two of us that go into 39...no big bump at 22 and incredible at shortline. The GT40 is a horse of a motor, too.

Sight lines great, driver ergonomics fantastic (I would argue this stuff better than the MC vintage being discussed though I like those, too).

Skied a tourney the last few years where lake owners have newer 196's with ZO. Wow...what dialed boats both from driver's and skiers perspective. I started to sip the kool-aid. A SN200 pulled the tourney that yr that was dialed...best wake I've ever seen period even among the breed...now guzzling CC kool-aid.

Since then the Txi is a monster(skied one today) and sounds like the new Prostar is fantastic. Current big 3 I've got no kool-aid. I would argue, though, that for the $$ a post 1997 SN196 is as good as it gets on a budget.

• Baller_
@ctsmith, the 97 Prostar is a great boat also. It supposedly corrects the faults in the 94 hull - spray at super shortline. I believe the 97 wake is a bit harder than the 94, but lower and still good. I'd probably still pick the Nautique, but it would be very close. I actually prefer the 95-97 MC to the 94 MC.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Thanks again for all the comments. Really trying to stick with either 93/94 prostar w EFI or TSC1 SN after doing all the research.

@hogeexpress, beautiful boat. color scheme is best 2000/2001 SN listed on SIA right now but i am looking for less hours as this will be my slalom tractor for many years to come.

as an aside, does anyone else find SIA to be like crack for a slalom junkie? cant help but pull it up at least once a day even thought i don't need anything. I need a 12 step program!!!

• Baller

Didnt those yr MC have issues with getting AWSA approval do to tracking issues and they had to put some quick mods on the rudders and such? Those were not the best yrs for MC from what I've heard.

==============================================

You are talking about the '98 hull.

The '91 to '94 Prostars are among the best ever. Full stop.

'97 SN less spray at short line, slightly better tracking.

'94 Prostar has outstanding wakes, higher top speed (if it has an LT1) , handles like a slot car.

Here is my vote ;-)

637581469d41a15d3b904e27d373b1.jpg

• Baller
I have skied both boats you are talking about, a 97 tsc 1 a 94 prostar and a 95 prostar (current boat) i think they all skied insanely well. The 94 MC had the softest wake. The 97 had a marginally harder wake, the SN had super low super soft wakes but its rooster tail was prominant at 36 -15. I am a MC guy and i always will be. Overall you wouldnt be complaining with any of them.

• Baller

I just sold a beautiful '93 Stars and Stripes with about 250 easy hours. The long line wake was like butter and as mentioned before, it drove like a slot car. The build quality was fantastic, but the throttle body pails in comparison to the Nautique, but big deal! It worked just fine. Still, I really love the '97-'09 196 and would probably spend extra dough on one versus a '94 Prostar in comparable condition.

I can't help but feel like a traitor for saying so.

• Baller
We ski behind a 92 and 97 Prostar. Both power slots. Wakes are similar. Carb'd 92 is slightly softer and handles better in the turns. LT1 97 tracks slightly better and has less spray. We are spoiled. To me both ski a little better than SN 196 from -15 to -32. 196 is a real nice boat too. Either way you'll do well.

• Baller

I owned a 93 Stars and Stripes with a slot... Sold it to my brother in 2000 when I purchased a 196. Occasionally I will ask my self why I sold that boat. Loved the blue metal flake! They both ski well but I like the build quality of my CC better but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

A number of the 190 and 205s we got in 1995 rode down the lake leaning to the passenger side. We had a couple of pissed customers and one added a plate to the boat to try and level it. I think the quality of MC started to drop around 95/96. I don't know if it had something to do with the debacle WetJet.

I have owned a '93 MC, (Carb.); and a '98 SN. (IIRC same hulls in '92-'94 MC's, and '97-2000 SN's) Both drove great. Better wake if possible behind SN, and way less side spray, not as 'quick' or easily maneuvered as the MC but overall, a better slalom trainer, for what you will face in a tournament now days.

• Baller

More general TSC1 input FWIW: I own a 2000 SN GT40 and I regularly (almost daily) drive current-year tournament boats from other MFGs as our club boats are new every year and I ski with a lot of different people at different sites.

The 97-2001 SNs EASILY hold their own against even current year boats from the big 3 in all ways. The build quality is insane, the wake is great, ergonomics and sitelines are crazy good, and the tracking is amazing. Great trick wake too. It's too bad that the ONLY thing it doesn't have is ZO! If it had ZO I'd never have to buy a new boat.

• Baller_
Ski with a gentleman in the winters here in FL that runs a ski school over seas. The school has utilized SN. His opinion... Not just the SN 97-2001 but the 97 spacifically as the best of the best. Been told by him never to get rid of mine. If the lottery pays out, I may just repower mine and add ZO. @Jody_Seal makes a compelling argument to do so and his price makes it worth a go.

• Baller
@wish and @jhughes considering re-power for that reason on my '00. Cheaper than buying ZO boat. Wonder what a guy gets for his GT40 and who wants it. Sent note to Jody cuz couldn't remember what the repower likely costs "all in" and if there is any market for the used motor to defer any cost.

• Baller

Wait till spring and someone will need a GT40 as their's froze over the winter!! Happens every season!! Would love to know what a re power / ZO convert would cost, I have a mint 97 that is loved and only 380 hours! Canada is cold for a lot of boating months!!

• Baller
I have a mint, one owner, 1998 Nautique, for sale, 630 hours, Red, / Blk, boat is perfect. Just decided to sell. Haven't advertised it yet. call me 407-617-3417 Not a Fl. boat. Ohio boat. 285 hp NOT GT40, NO Perfect Pass. However PP, easily added. this boat is mint. original, and perfect. $12,500 Brand new $600 waterline cover. Has bimini, ramlin trailer, with new tires, and all new brakes. I plan to list on Ski it again in next few days, Just need to find time to take some Pics. Boat is in Columbus, Ohio

• Baller_

I re-powered my '97 Nautique for ZO last year and couldn't be happier with the result. The conversion cost is around $10k, depending on how much of the work you do your self and how much you can get for the old engine. Jody can get you set up for the details.

The market for used GT-40s is small, but there are frozen blocks all the time. You just have to have a little patience.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
I know this is old school... With our 92 MC 285hp, power slot and recent OJ 454 machined 4 blade... I drive by the tach, set the needle where it should be, hold it there and am in close tolerance all the time with-15 to -35 skiers. I'm sure that steadiness in speed changes at -38 and beyond, but for us it is a perfect pull.

• Baller_
Drive it and ski it. You'll be the best one to decide if it is right. If you are asking about any known issues or performance drawbacks with that model year, I can't help. As always, ask about overheat situations, listen to it, inspect it and run it for a decent length of time. 5 minutes is not enough.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.